Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,980 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to a small-town ( 4,000 people or less ), in the Hill Country or Central part of Texas ( West of IH 35. Not looking for a Country Club feeling. Want to enjoy a peaceful small town, and get involved within the community. I am not retired, so will want to find a nice job. Looking for a ranching and farming community. Any suggestions ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 PM

364 posts, read 1,415,353 times
Johnson City, Lampasas, and Burnet would be my suggestions.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:07 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,201,467 times
Bosque County in Central Texas, Kerr or Gillespie Counties in the Hill Country are my suggestions.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 25,412 times
I live in Kendall county and am looking to get out!!! Kendall, Kerr, Gillespie and Comal counties used to be exactly what you are looking for, but everyone has sold out and property values are thru the roof. Strip malls, traffic and crime are taking over Boerne, Comfort, Fredericksburg and other surrounding small towns. Population has doubled in Boerne in 7 years, and the quality of homes bing built has gone down, while prices go up.
I have lived in Lubbock, Corpus, McAllen and every place in Texas has good and bad points, as for me, I'm running to east Texas, where prices are still low, crime and cost of living are still low, and I can get a "piece of quiet". I'm into horses, have 2 dogs, a cat, a horse and 2 donkeys. I am a teacher and a nurse, my only son was murdered in Lubbock. I have also lived in Austin, worked briefly in Laredo, Brownwood, Brownsville, Weslaco, Schulenburg, San Antonio, San Marcos, Fredericksburg, Jourdanton, Tahoka, Amarillo. If you need info/opinions on Texas towns, I'll be gald to oblige.
As a travel nurse, with a mom from Connecticut and a dad from Kansas, I can also tell you about small towns in those states as well as Oklahoma, Missouri, Arizona, Florida and Hawaii.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:11 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,333,896 times
i am an RN too. currently in South Texas (have survived this hell hole for almost a year) and now planning on going back to the parts of Texas that i am comfortable in. (i am from North Texas)....i am looking at jobs in Amarillo and in Hill Country, and cant seem to decide-i am taking a trip to meet and greet both jobs at end of the month.
any feedback on Amarillo?
any feedback on Killeen area? (i would be working at Ft Hood and living hopefully in Lampasas)
oh and drop in some info about Brownwood-just curious, since i have a good friend who keeps trying to talk me into moving there, but my type of nursing job is not available there, or not open there right now, anyway.
thanks!!
p.s. what is your specialty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerne resident View Post
I live in Kendall county and am looking to get out!!! Kendall, Kerr, Gillespie and Comal counties used to be exactly what you are looking for, but everyone has sold out and property values are thru the roof. Strip malls, traffic and crime are taking over Boerne, Comfort, Fredericksburg and other surrounding small towns. Population has doubled in Boerne in 7 years, and the quality of homes bing built has gone down, while prices go up.
I have lived in Lubbock, Corpus, McAllen and every place in Texas has good and bad points, as for me, I'm running to east Texas, where prices are still low, crime and cost of living are still low, and I can get a "piece of quiet". I'm into horses, have 2 dogs, a cat, a horse and 2 donkeys. I am a teacher and a nurse, my only son was murdered in Lubbock. I have also lived in Austin, worked briefly in Laredo, Brownwood, Brownsville, Weslaco, Schulenburg, San Antonio, San Marcos, Fredericksburg, Jourdanton, Tahoka, Amarillo. If you need info/opinions on Texas towns, I'll be gald to oblige.
As a travel nurse, with a mom from Connecticut and a dad from Kansas, I can also tell you about small towns in those states as well as Oklahoma, Missouri, Arizona, Florida and Hawaii.

Old 08-19-2007, 08:14 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,212,880 times
That's horrible about your son BR. My condolences. Your comment hit me because we only have one son as well. If that happened to our family I think I would go mad.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,988 times
Hello everyone....been reading this forum with much interest...I too and looking at small town living (under 4000) I was thinking about northern Texas Plano, Celina, Prosper, that area....problem is I don't know how to tell what parts of these towns are good to rent in......any suggestions? Thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 02:57 PM

what? Plano is small town living? please do some research. it DEFINITELY aint even close.
if you want North Texas, here are my suggestions:
Graham
Jacksboro
Paradise (real small town, not even a town, really-i used to live there)
Decatur (not really that small but outside the city limits, yes)
Graford
Bryson (my favorite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieki View Post
Hello everyone....been reading this forum with much interest...I too and looking at small town living (under 4000) I was thinking about northern Texas Plano, Celina, Prosper, that area....problem is I don't know how to tell what parts of these towns are good to rent in......any suggestions? Thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 05:49 PM

52,585 posts, read 47,743,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieki View Post
You'll want to take NOTAM's suggestions at this point. Plano would definitely be too large for you, as would Frisco. Celina, though still small now, is the next place to be gobbled up by the Metroplex. Prosper is on the northern fringes. You may want to do a Google-search to any of those places NOTAM mentioned and see if you can connect with a local who has an idea for you.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM

i want to add Hamilton to my list too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas