Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 03:16 PM

3 posts, read 12,336 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to Abilene I saw a bumper sticker on a pick-up that read "Abilene - the town you can't AFFORD to leave" I should have listened. Now five years later I'm still here and still broke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 5,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitty View Post
LOL...being from Washington state there are NO mountains in Texas at all...what they are refering to is south of Abilene going towards San Angelo,Tx..you hit a ridge of foot hills before going under the platue..the further south you go it get's lower and lower..so yes i guess to Abileneans they look like mountains. they are pretty.
Apparently, you've not traveled West Texas. Guadalupe Peak is 8700 feet in elevation. I believe it qualifies as a mountain. By definition, the "hills" south of Abilene are mountains.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:39 PM

118 posts, read 518,905 times
Once a guy lied to me....he told me Abilene, Tx was a wonderful place to live. I left him there. The best part of Abilene for me is my daughter and my second husband (may he rip) and the fact that I got out.
Perhaps I lived a sheltered youth, but when I saw the people sleeping in the gutter and on the sidewalk outside of the unemployment office, I realized I had been lied to.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:17 AM

791 posts, read 2,222,256 times
Quote:
LOL...being from Washington state there are NO mountains in Texas at all...what they are refering to is south of Abilene going towards San Angelo,Tx..you hit a ridge of foot hills before going under the platue..the further south you go it get's lower and lower..so yes i guess to Abileneans they look like mountains. they are pretty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeworm View Post
Apparently, you've not traveled West Texas. Guadalupe Peak is 8700 feet in elevation. I believe it qualifies as a mountain. By definition, the "hills" south of Abilene are mountains.
That range of hills south of Abilene, whether or not they are hills, mountains or just in the way, constitute the Callahan Divide, that divide between the Colorado River watershed and the Brazos River watershed. That would be a major geographic feature.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,864 times
Default Guitar Mansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willys View Post
I always asked my mom about the water level at Ft Phantom when we would talk. I've seen the lake flooding and I've seen those long docks sitting on dry ground. My sister used to tell me about 'the witch' of Ft Phantom... the fort supposedly being spooked.

Where on Sayles is the Victorian home? Like, what hundred block or near cross street. I don't recall many, if any, homes on Sayles having much historical value. I do recall the Guitar mansion on N 1st having problems but don't recall why anybody cared about the Guitars. On Hickory at N 3rd (I think) is a fine old home that was restored in the early 70's. It had been vacant for a couple of decades and in disrepair. The family was influential in old Abilene. A son had gone to VMI like in the 20's or 30's and kept a diary. The kid had some good times. Someone took that diary from the vacant home and it eventually passed on to me. I finally got the diary back to the Abilene Library.
The Guitar Mansion was supposedly haunted. I heard from one of the Guitars that they wanted it torn down as no one who lived there was ever happy. The Guitars were quite a famous family at one time. I used to see Presley driving around town when I was a teenager (many years ago) with his lion cub Kim in his car. When she got too large, he had her in a trailer he towed behind the car. I was in the Guitar Mansion several times as it was being torn down, and it was simply beautiful. I wish the family had donated it to the city and let it be a museum.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
The Guitar family has built a new mansion that puts the old one to shame. It is west of Elmwood between South 7th and Ward on the creek. Drive by it sometime. It is large enough to hold the entire homeless population of the city (possible exaggeration)...Many of the architectural details mirror the original mansion. I was in the old mansion after it was abandoned, and it was still beautiful. The First Baptist Church has built a building on the old mansion site, and it has some of the architectural details of the original. It is a shame that the old mansion was torn down. It should have been saved.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:54 AM

10 posts, read 37,374 times
in Abilene you get all the perks of a big city, and the comfort and style of a small town.

Last edited by Miss Murphy; 02-02-2008 at 03:54 AM.. Reason: misspeled

Old 03-06-2008, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 17,715 times
Default Guitar info

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1214j714 View Post
The Guitar Mansion was supposedly haunted. I heard from one of the Guitars that they wanted it torn down as no one who lived there was ever happy. The Guitars were quite a famous family at one time. I used to see Presley driving around town when I was a teenager (many years ago) with his lion cub Kim in his car. When she got too large, he had her in a trailer he towed behind the car. I was in the Guitar Mansion several times as it was being torn down, and it was simply beautiful. I wish the family had donated it to the city and let it be a museum.
I am a direct decendent of John Guitar (was my grandmother's grandfather) I am curious about some information on him and what he did I have gotten bit's and pieces from my grandmother who remembers visiting the place as a little girl. I am curious about any information i can find on my family and my heritage

Old 03-06-2008, 08:32 PM

4 posts, read 17,715 times
also..what about this "new" mansion...as far as any of us knew...it was torn down and is now a parking lot (which is a shame considdering how beautiful it was from what i have seen in old pic;s)

Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,145,451 times
The new mansion belongs to Jane Guitar and is not on the same lot. It is west of Elmwood Drive on Elmwood Creek just South of South 7th Street. Many architectural details look like the old Guitar home. However, it is red brick. And, it is huge. I will attempt to get a picture of it and post it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas