Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 16,925 times

Advertisements

My name is Anne Guitar Witherspoon. I'm a fifth generation Guitar and you all know WAY more about my family than i do. I didn't even know there was another mansion built. We have pictures of the old one all around our house, I never knew people thought it was a haunted. I'm just fascinated that you all know as much as you do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 PM

whats your name? I'm a decent of John Guitar as well. I'm curious!

Old 08-22-2008, 03:25 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,231,864 times
Quote:
in Abilene you get all the perks of a big city....
Well, maybe excepting a Whole Foods Grocery and a TJ Maxx

Old 08-23-2008, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 14,151 times
Default Guitars

My name is Judy and I am John Guitar III daughter. MY Great grandparents are John and Laura Guitar. I have just recently been doing a sort of 'roots' search and I have found lots of information. Is your father or Grandfather Guy Witherspoon? One of our relatives has published a great book abouot the history of the family, if you want the info I would be happy to give it to you. I don't live in Abilene but I visit once a year. I will probably come in at Thanksgiving.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Oh wow! I'm actually John and Laura's great great granddaughter (I'm young still, only 21) Then Guy Witherspoon is my great grandpa. Charlotte and John Witherspoon are my grandparents. Then Judy and John Witherspoon are my parents. We have a family tree of the guitar reunion in '83 hanging up i just ran and looked at it. And yes, I have the older book written by Earl and Anita Guitar. Then we just got a newer one I haven't looked at yet. Do you live in Texas?

Old 09-09-2008, 05:30 AM

3 posts, read 14,151 times
Default Guitars

Morning Annie,
So glad to be corresponding with you. I live in Kentucky with my husband of 42 yrs. We have six children and 7 grandkids. The new book you spoke of... does it happen to be Jim Alexanders book on the Guitars, Alexanders and Hill families? If so, it's a great book that you will learn lots from!
My G Grandparents were John and Laura Guitar, my Grandparents were John and Ernestine Guitar, my parents are John GutiarIII and Betty Ciarrocchi( my parents divorced when I was very young) I grew up in So. Calif. I visit Abilene once a year to see my dad who still lives there. My sister( Sharon ) and I will be there this Nov. to celebrate Thanksgiving with our dad.
Make it a great day!
Judy

Old 10-20-2008, 02:19 PM

47 posts, read 376,386 times

The original Guitar Mansion on a postcard. The new one is MASSIVE - I heard it has 8 fireplaces.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,128 times
can you tell me about abilene as I might be moving there soon. I need a one bedroom apartment in a 'safe' area. please e-mail me at : [email]hemetsprincess@yahoo.com[/email].

Old 02-14-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,253 times
I have been recruited for a job @ Hendrick Regional in Abilene and Christus Rosa in New Braunfels. Any information I could gather about the two places comparetively would be greatly appreciated. I have small children so family oriented is an absolute...with good schools. Housing around $800-$1000/mo...we will rent for sure. Our credit is shot because of job loss, crap economy in MD (where we are now) and house forclosure is probably on the horizon. I would rather be south than north but I also need low cost of living and safety. Both jobs look equally desirable, so it's all resting on the quality of life and surroundings at this point.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:13 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNmom98 View Post
I have been recruited for a job @ Hendrick Regional in Abilene and Christus Rosa in New Braunfels. Any information I could gather about the two places comparetively would be greatly appreciated. I have small children so family oriented is an absolute...with good schools. Housing around $800-$1000/mo...we will rent for sure. Our credit is shot because of job loss, crap economy in MD (where we are now) and house forclosure is probably on the horizon. I would rather be south than north but I also need low cost of living and safety. Both jobs look equally desirable, so it's all resting on the quality of life and surroundings at this point.
I'm a native Abilenian and moved away for several years then came back here back in the 90's. Abilene is a city of about 120K in population and it is a very family-oriented city, probably one of the most family oriented cities I've ever lived in. The Abilene public schools are generally good. The schools in the Wylie school district, which is in far south Abilene and beyond the city limits to the south are exceptionally good. You can rent a very nice home here for $800 to $1000 per month. Cost of living here is very low. As far as surroundings are concerned, Abilene is not in one of the more scenic areas of Texas. It's partially arid but also partially green here. By West Texas standards, that means there are a few more trees here than some areas but no much more...lol.

New Braunfels is in a beautiful area, right in the heart of the Texas Hill Country region, which is IMO one of the most scenic areas in Texas. It is definitely much greener than Abilene, with plenty of trees, hills, rivers and creeks, etc. New Braunfels has about 50 to 60K in population, however, it is a very short drive to San Antonio and there are an enormous amount of family activities available in that large metro area (Sea World of Texas, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, San Antonio Zoo, and many others) The main Schlitterbahn water amusement park, which is the largest water park in Texas, is located in New Braunfels. I love Schlitterbahn, it is so much fun! My father lives in San Antonio and I've visited New Braunfels many times over the years. I'm not sure about the quality of schools there. I would assume the cost of living is slightly higher there due to the great location but I'm not totally sure. Hopefully someone else that lives in that area can help you with that. If you have any more questions about Abilene just let me know. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas