Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:11 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,201,467 times

Advertisements

I believe no one "broke" a sweat yesterday was because the humidity in Dallas ranged from 46% to 36% from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and the temperature ranged from 75 degrees to 80 degrees in those three hours. The weather was absolutely delightful.

This is not the case from about late May to mid-October. It doesn't matter if it's NOT as humid here as in Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, or wherever. It is humid and hot here, always has been and always will be.

It might not bother some people when the temperture is 98+ degrees and the humidity is 88%+, but others don't like it. When newcomers ask about the humidity and heat, I believe they should be told correctly. If we're comparing Texas to the above states, lets compare Texas to the mild summer states. It goes both ways but yet when someone says Washington, North Carolina, California, Oregon, etc. has better weather, they get reprimanded by the people that are defending Texas. I just don't get it.

I'm assuming the OP is interested only in Texas, not Florida or California, so to answer the question again, Texas is just plain hot and some parts of the state do have a lesser humidity than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 11:38 AM

3,245 posts, read 5,586,899 times
It gets hot sure........but hey, the record temp for Fairbanks, Alaska is 100*. As has been posted here it is the length of time that temps are over 90* that is over bearing for SOME people. We all have different body thermostats and different perceptions! One of the hottest days I've spent in recent history was a summer day I spent on a lake fishing in Downeast Maine (near Bangor). I also have a friend that ran a marathon in Bangor last June (he lives in Blanco, Tx) and the heat was oppressive by his description.....he suffered! Temps in the plains of Saskatchewan, Canada frequent the century mark in summer. The diifference is there are not 5-6 months in the 90's ...... ususally only 2-3 weeks!

My dad lives in East Tennessee in the Smokies.....gets HOT there too ....... only 3-4 months though. AND, know how the Smokies (from the indians)got there name? From the constant huimidity hanging in the air.....or rising after a shower!

What I've learned in living in hot vs cold climates is it is generally easier to manage one's lifestyle for comfort and health in the warmer climes. My wifey who grew up in New Brunswick, Can. will echo these thoughts. But to be taken with a grain of salt ..... these are our personal opinions.

Texas is HOT alot! I'm OK with it.....I like a cool swim in the creek in the hot summer with a cooler of cold beverage on the bank! Y'all have a great one!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,438,307 times
I just didn't like the equator-like heat and humidity(or dewpoints)we had here in south NJ last summer...for weeks on end!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:24 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,201,467 times
I got back a little while ago from taking my canine girls to the vet and the temperature was 73 degrees with a humidity of 65%. That would seem cool, right? There was a lady mowing the lawn at the vet's and most of it is under shade. She said, "Gosh, it's already so hot." She was sweating profusely and her face was beet red. Of course, we then began talking about how the heat is not even upon us yet.

I'm sitting in my house with the windows open and I am sweating, not a lot but some. This is warm and nice, not hot. I like it this way, sweating or not.

I like your post, BobTex, as it makes much sense. We are all different with our likes and dislikes and from one extreme to another, I'd take the TX heat over the MN winters (I think) although I really don't know how I'd like them because I've never lived anywhere with cold winters.

Actually, I took a business trip to Wisconsin years ago in February. It was really cold, but it didn't seem to bother me that much. Grant it though, I was only there for 5 days.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:52 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,598,816 times
Anything over 80 is hot to me, so it does get hot in Lubbock and Amarillo, but NOTHING like Dallas and below. Humidity is unlivable and miserable, no more! If I go for a visit, will stay indoors in summer, as it can be hazardous otherwise. My Dallas friends do not have a pool yet, or would stay in there the duration!

Old 04-28-2007, 03:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,438,307 times
Heck anything over 70 to me is hot . Actually I think alot of it is the humidity/dewpoint that makes it feel that much more uncomfortable. It can be like 60 here but with the humidity it can feel worse.
But it can also be relative to what one considers bad,a guy I used to work with in NJ said that when he visited Texas the locals thought it was so hot and he didn't notice,probably because the humidity on the east coast is higher.
I still don't buy that staying inside thing or even going in a pool. What if the electricity goes out? We have that happen here at least once every summer and it's so bad that people pretty much are living on their front step until they can go back inside. As for the pool,sure if you want to live in there as well,but eventually you will have to get out and not only will you still be wet but if and when the water does evaporate from your body you'll be back where you started. So it may offer a couple minutes of relief. Recently I've been looking for other ways to keep cool,like carrying a spray bottle of ice water

Old 04-28-2007, 03:28 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,281,510 times
It may get hot in the smokies but it's not nearly as bad as Houston or as long and it's much more beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas