Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,088 times

Advertisements

I would love to live in the mountains, but when I go on realtor.com, it doesn't quite let me understand what city is specifically in the Hill Country, and in the mountains. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 02:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I would love to live in the mountains, but when I go on realtor.com, it doesn't quite let me understand what city is specifically in the Hill Country, and in the mountains. Thanks!
There are not any "mountains" in Texas; well maybe far west Texas, but the Hill Country is just that, hills.

But to answer your question about cities; the only city that you could actually classify as in Hill Country is Austin and it is on the edge. San Antonio is just south and the far north burbs you start to run into some hills, but it is still pretty flat. Fredericksberg is a small town in the Hill Country and a great place, but I'm not sure about the job situation there. Marble Falls is another small town that is neat.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:30 PM

131 posts, read 510,300 times
I heard Fredericksberg is a racist town. Is this true??? I heard this from my brother who just came back from Texas. Someone told him not to get out of his car in Fredericksberg. He didn't. He said it was a nice quaint town, he likened it to Mayberry.
Maybe it's just a small town that happens to be primarily white and the inhabitants are generally mistrustful of anyone who's coming in from out of town. ? When you are a non-white and a white person looks at you funny, you tend to think it's because of the color of your skin. Sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's because your flies open or their just plain curious to see an outsider, something different than the norm.

Someone shed some light please.
Hill country sounds nice, but I don't want to subject my kids to racist remarks.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,405,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post
I heard Fredericksberg is a racist town. Is this true??? I heard this from my brother who just came back from Texas. Someone told him not to get out of his car in Fredericksberg. He didn't. He said it was a nice quaint town, he likened it to Mayberry.
Maybe it's just a small town that happens to be primarily white and the inhabitants are generally mistrustful of anyone who's coming in from out of town. ? When you are a non-white and a white person looks at you funny, you tend to think it's because of the color of your skin. Sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's because your flies open or their just plain curious to see an outsider, something different than the norm.

Hill country sounds nice, but I don't want to subject my kids to racist remarks.
Interesting. I've never heard of any racist incidents in Fredericksberg; it is really an art town with a lot of antiques and other unique shops. A lot of tourists go there for the day so "outsiders" are common. I would think they would be happy for anyone to come and shop, but I'm not black either so I wouldn't be able to specifically compare the situations. There are certainly some racist towns in Texas, but I think that's more in East Texas.

Generally the Hill Country is pretty liberal as compared to the rest of the state. It's a nice area and Fredericksberg is really one of the better small towns left in Texas. Many of the other towns have become rest stops and gasoline stations on the highways with the old main street decaying. Thankfully, that never happened to Frederickberg.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:37 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,003,265 times
Quote:
I heard Fredericksberg is a racist town. Is this true???
I've never heard of any overt racism there,but Fredericksburg has a very high percentage of true ethnic Germans living there,so there may be something to it.The German names around there are not just for show,it really is a German town.Regardless of any racism,they are very clannish.Anyone whose grandparents weren't born there is an outsider,unless you are from a strong German descent.

Old 02-06-2007, 04:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Don't be surprised to see mansions in the middle of nowhere in the Hill Country. It is a real popular vacation spot for the rich in Texas.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
I've never heard of any overt racism there,but Fredericksburg has a very high percentage of true ethnic Germans living there,so there may be something to it.The German names around there are not just for show,it really is a German town.Regardless of any racism,they are very clannish.Anyone whose grandparents weren't born there is an outsider,unless you are from a strong German descent.
True. My brother in law turned down a job offer there because my sis would not be able to get on in the school district even though she is married to a Czech that has roots in the area. As far as racism based on color there, there are plenty of darker skinned people there as it is a very well known place for their peaches. Those fair skinned people have to pay someone to pick their peaches, . It is a quaint town but I would not go so far as to tell someone that is not white to not get out of their car. We were at one of the local festivals and saw many people that were not "white". No fights broke out or slangs hurled.

As for towns in the Texas Hill Country here are just a few:
Bandera
Concan
Medina
Leakey
Dripping Springs
Boerne
Driftwood

Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Here is a map of the Texas Hill Country that was posted earlier.
Attached Thumbnails
What are some cities in the "Hills County", by/in the mountains?-texashillcountrymap.jpg  

Old 02-07-2007, 03:52 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Moderator cut: duplicate image

The Hill Country is a real beautiful place. I love going down there. If you are into camping, they have some really good camp grounds. Ink Lake up by Marble Falls is a real nice place, too.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 02-07-2007 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: Same image posted above by Steel Man

Old 02-12-2007, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 6,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatalady View Post

Not even close to being true!! Fredericksburg is a wonderful german town that was one of five counties in the state to vote against joining the confederate states. As a descendant of one the founding families of Fredericksburg, I am appalled at this comment about my fellow citizens, and I encourage you to take a trip to Fredericksburg and find out for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas