Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017
I have to laugh at that, too.....I live in WT, and we haven't had a winter to speak of for at least 5-10 years.

Houston got a huge snow either last year or year before, but it's extremely rare.

If you want tropical, consider the Rio Grande Valley--McAllen, Mission, Harlingen, etc....

It is extremely HOT down there in the summer, but then so is the rest of Texas.

It's the only thing I hate about it. It's my native state, and I love it otherwise.

But the older I get, the more I hate the heat.
__________________________________________________ _______________

WOW Cathy.....I feel the same way about the heat. I lived in Maine for 2 winters and honestly I think I handled the cold there better than the heat here.......and that's tuff for the Texas boy to say.

I don't remember the snow in Houston though and I'm only 80 miles NE of there. I can't remember the last time it snowed here (maybe I'm getting senile or something )

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2006, 02:19 PM

806 posts, read 2,883,614 times
Winter of 2004 when the storm went all the way south to Victoria. There were people down there in awe of the first snow fall in their life!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
Default Houston Floods! And Snows?

2001 Big flood in Bellaire--middle of Houston town literally--and we lost a new Camaro and a room in our house. State Farm *****ed so many people the Attorney General of the State kicked that insurance company out, and Farmers withdrew. Many good insurance companies won't come into Texas due to so much flooding. There has been another big flood since then, I understand.
I know 2001 brought something like 2-3 floods--with the water up to the ROOF of houses--and destroyed San Antonio parts as it was on tv over and over. Austin got really bad flooding that year, also. Bad year.
Pick carefully where you live in these cities and get FLOOD INSURANCE. Don't be a fool--buy it if it is suggested by your particular city council for your area.
Snow? That's a good one. When they have a "big" snow you would have to get on the ground and scrape up a cup of it. The people in Houston go wild with glee 'cause they have never seen snow hardly. Even the crabby people are just smiling like little kids. Being from Chicago, it's a hoot to see.
Don't worry about snow, but do worry about where you live. As you can see from Katrina, flooding can be a drag and really ruin where you live totally. Just be careful.

Old 07-20-2006, 06:19 PM

23 posts, read 70,797 times
Default What doesn't flood??

What parts of San Antonio, or surroundings, do not flood?

Old 07-20-2006, 08:01 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex
__________________________________________________ _______________
WOW Cathy.....I feel the same way about the heat. I lived in Maine for 2 winters and honestly I think I handled the cold there better than the heat here.......and that's tuff for the Texas boy to say.

I don't remember the snow in Houston though and I'm only 80 miles NE of there. I can't remember the last time it snowed here (maybe I'm getting senile or something )

Bob
LOL!! Mea culpa....it was VICTORIA that got more of it than Houston in 2004......but Houston was right on the line, according to this blog:

http://www.richardsfault.com/White_C...as_in_Houston/

People were shocked....and I was jealous!!!

Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,186 times
Default Fort Stockton never floods

You love it there. It is the jewel of west tx.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:04 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,819,998 times
We got a dusting for 20 minutes my friend lol.. hardly a huge snow storm. The thing that trips me out between Dallas and Houston is that there's a lot of summer days where the temperatures are higher in the northern part of the state than the southern. I get it, ocean currents and weather patterns and all, but it still seems weird.

Old 05-30-2015, 01:31 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatam View Post
I can deal with hurricanes-you have time to prepare. Tornadoes can happen anywhere/anytime, so I shouldn't even worry about that. however, I don't want to live in an area that is prone to flooding.

I was looking at New Braunfels (sp), but then read that it is prone to Florida, and then I heard that areas outlying Houston (League City) can be prone to flooding.

As long as it isn't up north TX (too cold for hubby), what parts, specific areas, do not have flooding? Thanks!
With the exception of really flat areas like much of Houston, most of the areas that experience flooding in Texas are along the sides of large creeks and rivers that will flood when they get heavy rain. Many parts of New Braunfels are safe from flooding but an awful lot of that particular community is in the flood plain.

Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

You can go to almost any city on that map, click on Hazards and Flooding and it will display the areas most prone to flooding. As long as you avoid living in those areas you will be pretty safe.

Old 05-30-2015, 02:51 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Just pick a higher elevation away from creeks or rivers with good drainage and their should be no problems. Avoid creek and river crossings when flash flood warnings are about. That is about all you have to worry about. I see the people with troubles on the news but personally know no one that has been directly flooded... car or house. Most people in Texas do not live in a flood zone and most know to turn around/don't drown.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:10 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Just pick a higher elevation away from creeks or rivers with good drainage and their should be no problems. Avoid creek and river crossings when flash flood warnings are about. That is about all you have to worry about. I see the people with troubles on the news but personally know no one that has been directly flooded... car or house. Most people in Texas do not live in a flood zone and most know to turn around/don't drown.
In that case, why even bother to worry? Even the best drainages can be overwhelmed by Mother Nature eventually.

Even the middle of the desert can be subject to a flash flood.

September 8th 2014 Phoenix Monsoon Rain & Flash Flood

So, I am pretty sure everything else in between sea level and desert is fair game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas