Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 05:44 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,772,088 times

Advertisements

Well, one thing is for certain, if it is summertime in Texas, and you're in a group of people who cannot agree on one single thing, bring up how hot it is and everyone is in agreement!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Well, one thing is for certain, if it is summertime in Texas, and you're in a group of people who cannot agree on one single thing, bring up how hot it is and everyone is in agreement!
I'll probably be an outcast then.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:24 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,917,160 times
I remember about 6 years ago, it was one of those HOT, HOT, HOT summers that never seemed to end. I think it was 108 or something on Labor Day. Anyway, WFAA had one of those polls up that asked people's opinions on the heat. I, as were many others, was complaining about it being too hot to live in Texas and how I hated the heat. There were a few hard core people that were on the boards saying how they loved the heat, "Brang on the heat!" and the like. There was one lady that responded with a very funny line in response to the "Brang on the heat" remarks. She said, and I'll use the name Frank in her response because I forgot this fellow's name:

"Frank, now that's just bondo'd camaro talk and you know it.."

I about fell off my chair laughing. Anyone that grew up in these parts (or pretty much anywhere in the South) knows exactly what I'm talking about..

To this day, anytime I hear a stupid remark that would tend to be as a result of a lack of education, I'll say, "Now that's just bondo'd camaro talk."

Old 04-29-2007, 11:37 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,449,309 times
The heat NOT the humidity is the reason I'm moving North. I figured it out during my visit to Las Vegas. It had absolutely no humidity but it was very hot--as hot as Houston--without it. I had a hard time comprehending why people would leave Los Angeles for this terrible weather.

I like Chicago's brutal winters; it's the perfect antidote to the heat and humidity I suffered during Houston summers for most of my life. At least the heat and humidity lasts for a few weeks in the summer while Houston has it for 6-9 months. Plus, I want to see snow!

Old 04-29-2007, 05:05 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The heat NOT the humidity is the reason I'm moving North. I figured it out during my visit to Las Vegas. It had absolutely no humidity but it was very hot--as hot as Houston--without it. I had a hard time comprehending why people would leave Los Angeles for this terrible weather.

I like Chicago's brutal winters; it's the perfect antidote to the heat and humidity I suffered during Houston summers for most of my life. At least the heat and humidity lasts for a few weeks in the summer while Houston has it for 6-9 months. Plus, I want to see snow!
I left the L.A. area for this terrible weather and wish I hadn't. It's a long story as to why we did and had I known 28 years ago what I now know, I wouldn't be here. Actually, I'm glad I no longer live in CA because it is not the wonderful place it once was, but I wish we had chosen a state with better weather and four really distinct seasons. Oh, well.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM

19 posts, read 216,086 times
Well thanks for all your insights. I'm leaving California for many reasons. I know there are trade offs as I love California as a place, but hate what its turned into socially and politically. If I could only find someplace with 4 seasons, Texas hospitality, and its gun laws I'd have found the perfect place I guess

Old 04-30-2007, 07:11 AM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I remember about 6 years ago, it was one of those HOT, HOT, HOT summers that never seemed to end. I think it was 108 or something on Labor Day.
It was Labor Day 2000. I think it happened the day after Labor Day but it was hot that day too. The day after saw just about every Texas city above 110. I believe the area from Waco to Killeen to Austin was around 112-114 degrees that day. In my years living in Texas, I never experienced a day that hot, ever.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:45 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It was Labor Day 2000. I think it happened the day after Labor Day but it was hot that day too. The day after saw just about every Texas city above 110. I believe the area from Waco to Killeen to Austin was around 112-114 degrees that day. In my years living in Texas, I never experienced a day that hot, ever.
Yes you are correct, I really it all too well. We had several days in Houston where the temperature was over 100 during that time

Old 04-30-2007, 12:34 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
At least it wasn't -100 F.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,404,222 times
Texas is hot--da*ned hot--but there ain't nuttin' like jumping into a cold pool on one of those 100* days! Oh man. It's heavenly. Try doing a Microsoft Live map search on various subdivision streets in Houston or Dallas--every other house seems to have a pool!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas