Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
At least it wasn't -100 F.
Oh you are so funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 41,647 times
one way to get over Texas heat is to work in it. i've worked construction to put myself through college for the last 4 years and have worked in College Station (humid as hell). that way, when you are doing something besides work, it doesnt seem so bad. anything from gardening to playing sports can help you get accustomed to it.

i know this all sounds a little goofy, but it does work

Old 05-01-2007, 06:00 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smapdhi View Post
one way to get over Texas heat is to work in it. i've worked construction to put myself through college for the last 4 years and have worked in College Station (humid as hell). that way, when you are doing something besides work, it doesnt seem so bad. anything from gardening to playing sports can help you get accustomed to it.

i know this all sounds a little goofy, but it does work
Everyone reacts to heat and humidity differently and in 28 years, I've never gotten used to it and have always worked in my yard. It makes me feel like I'm going to keel over even if just standing and not working.

It's dangerous and people need to be careful to protect themselves from getting heat stroke or worse.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
Everyone reacts to heat and humidity differently and in 28 years, I've never gotten used to it and have always worked in my yard. It makes me feel like I'm going to keel over even if just standing and not working.

It's dangerous and people need to be careful to protect themselves from getting heat stroke or worse.
It seems that the main difference between people is genetic. Why else would I enjoy 90 F at 11pm?
It might help a little to not get used to too much A/C, like if you work in a 65 F degree grocery store, or walk-in refridgerator all day of course 90 F will feel hot.

Regardless of heat tolerance, above 90 F and muggy, everyone should make sure that they have something to drink maybe once an hour, or at least available to them. When I do that I can avoid heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 AM

6 posts, read 41,647 times

you make a good point. i did not mean to give anybody any ideas that would endanger them. it's definitely always good to pay attention to your body.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I think what makes the heat so bad is that it lasts so long. Halloween finds many a kid sweltering in a costume while trudging up and down the street.

But you do get used to it. I'm a runner and because of work and home life often the only time I can run is at noon. As crazy as it sounds, I've looked at the paper to see that the high was 95 and thought "I can do that." I don't like it, but I've done it. And I'm never out there by myself.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:38 AM

26 posts, read 124,287 times
I'd lived in San Diego my whole life. When we told folks we were moving to TX, EVERYONE went on and on about the heat. I was under the impression that it would be this incredible thing that nobody could endure.

We pulled out of inland San Diego on July 27th and it was 107 degrees and HUMID. When we got to Fort Worth on Aug 1, it was 105 degrees with pretty much the same humidity as what we left. The heat was no different. I think what gets people upset is that it stays hot for weeks on end with no breaks.

Although, I am one of the ones who LOVES the heat. I was, however, MISERABLE this winter!!! Nobody ever mentions how cold it gets here!!!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:01 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I think what makes the heat so bad is that it lasts so long. Halloween finds many a kid sweltering in a costume while trudging up and down the street.

But you do get used to it. I'm a runner and because of work and home life often the only time I can run is at noon. As crazy as it sounds, I've looked at the paper to see that the high was 95 and thought "I can do that." I don't like it, but I've done it. And I'm never out there by myself.
Better than our Halloweens; they range from cool, cold, very cold to just plain gross.
About 1 in 5 Halloweens trick-or-treaters are walking around with wet snow falling the whole time.
3 out of 5 Halloweens have some kind of precip, usually it's mid 30's to mid 40's and endless drizzle.

How long do you run for?
I've rode my bike 3 miles in 15-20 minutes each way to get my haircut in muggy 97 F weather. That was fun.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
During the lunch hour the most I can do is 3-4 miles. On weekend mornings I usually do closer to 5, or sometimes 6 or 7 if I have a 5k race coming up. I just do it for fun and exercise. The longest race I've run was a 10k over our harbor bridge and it just about killed me.

Does it get to be 97 in Canada? I think of Canada as heavenly, but I'm sure it has its drawbacks.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,224,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
It seems that the main difference between people is genetic. Why else would I enjoy 90 F at 11pm?
It might help a little to not get used to too much A/C, like if you work in a 65 F degree grocery store, or walk-in refridgerator all day of course 90 F will feel hot.

Regardless of heat tolerance, above 90 F and muggy, everyone should make sure that they have something to drink maybe once an hour, or at least available to them. When I do that I can avoid heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

Well, I'm just totally weird because I can't stand the heat and humidity, but when I work all day in a 65 degree school, I can't wait to go outside to warm up and, of course, it doesn't take long to "heat" up really fast.

I keep my home A/C on 80 degrees all summer long and though that's really too warm, I refuse to pay more than necessary for the electricity as rates are very high here. Personally, I think 65 degrees is way to cool for A/C and it wastes money, so just call me conservative.

In the winter, sometimes I don't turn my heat on until it gets down to 55 degrees in the house. I really prefer cold but, of course, 55 degrees isn't cold, just cool.

Trust me, I drink plenty of water. Without going into details, the doctor was incredulous with a test I had. He told me I drank too much water, but I do not. Again, everyone is different with how many times he or she needs to be "relieved."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas