Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 05:19 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Let me know how that ridership turns out.

Yep because buses are totally ineffective.
Buses are a great supplement to an urban transportation system, but when buses are the bulk of a large city's transportation it is rather inefficient. Rail and light rail are superior forms of transportation; more efficient, and not subject to traffic back ups and such. So no, buses are not ineffective at all, they are great. However, light rail and heavy rail are far superior methods of transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:16 AM

216 posts, read 444,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Buses are a great supplement to an urban transportation system, but when buses are the bulk of a large city's transportation it is rather inefficient. Rail and light rail are superior forms of transportation; more efficient, and not subject to traffic back ups and such. So no, buses are not ineffective at all, they are great. However, light rail and heavy rail are far superior methods of transportation.

No joke. Buses are nice and all for people who don't have a car, but who would want to ride a bus that didn't have to? Why take 30 minutes to get somewhere that would take ten minutes in a car? Light rail is much more efficient.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:20 AM

216 posts, read 444,501 times
Houston's medical center is very nice, large, and is much to be proud of. What I really want to know is, why does Houston need so many hospitals? Why is Houston so unhealthy? Is it the ridiculous smog that's killing everyone down there or your obsession with overeating and being the most morbidly obese citizenship in the world that constantly keeps you hospitalized?

Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
Houston's medical center is very nice, large, and is much to be proud of. What I really want to know is, why does Houston need so many hospitals? Why is Houston so unhealthy? Is it the ridiculous smog that's killing everyone down there or your obsession with overeating and being the most morbidly obese citizenship in the world that constantly keeps you hospitalized?
Yeah those 10,000 international patients a year are coming to Houston to get sick again.

M.D. Anderson Foundation is the largest charitable fund ever created in Texas.

The TMC is a city within a city really.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:55 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJohnZ View Post
that is the general misconception that people have about aspects of Houston and love to spread instead of simply looking it up and educating themselves/

It is not hospitals sonny.

It is a research complex, dedicated to improving health care.
Along with the research complex comes hospitals, and schools.
There are only about 13 hospitals in the medical center.

so go easy on the ignorant comments and do a little search before you write stupidness on here

Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM

The worlds first artificial heart was created in guess where...HOUSTON!

Old 10-07-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The worlds first artificial heart was created in guess where...HOUSTON!
don't forget the bubble boy was treated in Houston.

The number one cancer center is in the med-center

Michael Debakey was a pioneer in Heart surgery and developed the equipment that made open heart surgery possible.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
don't forget the bubble boy was treated in Houston.

The number one cancer center is in the med-center

Michael Debakey was a pioneer in Heart surgery and developed the equipment that made open heart surgery possible.
Don't forget the silicone breast implant was a Houston invention too!

Seriously

Dallas can thank Houston for that.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Don't forget the silicone breast implant was a Houston invention too!

Seriously

Dallas can thank Houston for that.
Dallas thanks no one. They seem to claim credit for everything. I here they invented malls. Have you heard that?

and go check their wikipedia page under the economy section how they claim to be the energy hub. lol

some guy even claimed that to in one of my threads:

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...fluential.html

Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Here is an article by Bloomberg about how TMC will surpass Downtown Dallas, "Expansion plans over the next five to six years have the cluster of hospitals, medical schools and doctor offices outgrowing the current size of downtown Dallas.... It’s already larger than the combined downtown districts of Texas cities Fort Worth, San Antonio and El Paso, he said. "

Houston̢۪s Texas Medical Center May Outgrow Downtown Dallas - Bloomberg.com

This is in terms of sq.ft. and if the expansion goes as planned.
OH PLEASE!!!! Like if people are gonna go to a medical center to get drunk and get laid. what a bunch of crap!

I like Houston for everything that it is.... but comparing in terms of size doesn't tell the whole picture. When I visit Houston, the only reason I'll go to the medical center is if I need a brain surgery, or for chemotherapy! Not cause I wanna go get laid.... unless the female nurses there are pretty hot, well that's another story I'll break my arm just for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas