Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Why are you asking me?????
cause you talk about towers a lot.
Duh.

I looked at a leasing page for Dallas. There are a lot of vacant space in Dallas. You guys need to slow down on the building and let the tenants catch up.
Quote:
Taller doesn't always mean bigger. For example, the Metlife building in New york is 808 ft and it is 3,140,000 sq ft.

It doesn't matter.

btw, I think you are pulling a fast one on me.

The website you posted for teh Renaissance Tower says the figure you quoted was for total floor space hun, not leasing space.

you are quoting figures using one metric for Dallas and another for Houston.

The fact of the matter is Chase and WF have more space than you give them credit for.

once again Dallas is trying overly hard to one up Houston, but it fails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Duh.

I looked at a leasing page for Dallas. There are a lot of vacant space in Dallas. You guys need to slow down on the building and let the tenants catch up.

It doesn't matter.

The website you posted for teh Renaissance Tower says the figure you quoted was for total floor space hun, not leasing space.

The fact of the matter is Chase and WF have more space than you give them credit for.

Dallas hasn't built a huge office tower in downtown since 1987. You actually think I am trying to post false information?!? Why would companies want to move to downtown, the office buildings are old and they need renovation. That's one of the reasons for the high vacancy rate. Texas' first skyscrapers was in Dallas, the majority of the towers was converted into residential and hotel space. If I had my own company I wouldn't want to move in a old asbestos filled building.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

912 posts, read 1,887,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Butr what you fail to realize is that Downtown Houston has three high rises under construction, and another just recently completed. The TMC seems to always have a few buildings under construction itself.

No, Downtown Dallas is not the central core of the metro. DFWis built in a multinodal fashion so that cant be true. DTD is getting pushed too far to the east and south. Besides, theBay Area and DC-Baltimore will probably be combined next year, pushing DFW down. Not sure what cities larger than Dallas that will be in its rear view except SA and Phoenix. Remember, the buildings Dallas is building now is just to catch up to what Houston has already . Inner Loop Houston dwarfs Dallas ' core. You can thank FW for that. Itanchors its own side of the Metroplex, so don't give Dallas all the credit.

As far as Houston annexing, has not done so in over 15 years and is realeasing land it can annex. Even with that Houston has easily the largest and most dense core in Texas, the Inner Loop . Name another 95 square mile area with 600K people in Texas You cant . Im lovin my life in DFW right now, but you Dallas boosters need to slow down and research what is going on around Texas, so you dont look so misinformed.
At the heart of the market which San Fransciso, Oakland, and San Jose aren't apart of is a lot of water called a bay.
At the heart of the Dallas Fort Worth market is DFW airport, the primary engine running the regions economy.
As some predict that the population of the metropolitan area of DFW will surpass the Chicago area in as little as ten years, how can Washington and Baltimore possibly surpass it in size?

Last edited by Mister Nifty; 12-24-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: tweak

Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Duh.

It doesn't matter.

Wrong. The office markets of Dallas and Houston differ. As Houston's market is restrained by potential oil busts, Dallas's market is fueled by the regions diversity. Therefore, the Dallas - Fort Worth area, and specifically Dallas, will always have more available space.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Dallas hasn't built a huge office tower in downtown since 1987. You actually think I am trying to post false information?!?
I dunno, maybe I was confusing you with SkysThe Limit? He has been posting false info since he has been here

Quote:
Why would companies want to move to downtown, the office buildings are old and they need renovation. That's one of the reasons for the high vacancy rate. Texas' first skyscrapers was in Dallas,
can you back that statement up??

How I heard it was that Houston has always been on the forefront for Skyscrapers

Old 12-24-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
At the heart of the market which San Fransciso, Oakland, and San Jose aren't apart of is a lot of water called a bay.
At the heart of the Dallas Fort Worth market is DFW airport, the primary engine running the regions economy.
As some predict that the population of the metropolitan area of DFW will surpass the Chicago area in as little as ten years, how can Washington and Baltimore possibly surpass it in size?
Washington and Baltimore combined has a bigger population.

The population in 2007- 8,241,912

Old 12-24-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
Wrong. The office markets of Dallas and Houston differ. As Houston's market is restrained by potential oil busts, Dallas's market is fueled by the regions diversity. Therefore, the Dallas - Fort Worth area, and specifically Dallas, will always have more available space.

dunno what you are talking about dude, you are on some tangent. But anyway, let me tell you this, whatever it is, Houston is better.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Washington and Baltimore combined has a bigger population.

The population in 2007- 8,241,912
so does the Bay Area.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Dallas hasn't built a huge office tower in downtown since 1987. You actually think I am trying to post false information?!? Why would companies want to move to downtown, the office buildings are old and they need renovation. That's one of the reasons for the high vacancy rate. Texas' first skyscrapers was in Dallas, the majority of the towers was converted into residential and hotel space. If I had my own company I wouldn't want to move in a old asbestos filled building.
Downtown Dallas was way overbuilt because of a mid-eighty phenomenon called "the crazy Candian theory." Just as people were thinking that the overbuilt situation couldn't get any worse in downtown Dallas, along came a lot of Canadian developers to build skyscrapers. This was on top of every real estate company and billionaire in Dallas building skyscrapers. The reason they did so was to escape Canadian regulations and taxes.
The price of land got so expensive that it pushed developers north of downtown in an area that is now called Uptown.
The rest is history.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I dunno, maybe I was confusing you with SkysThe Limit? He has been posting false info since he has been here

can you back that statement up??

How I heard it was that Houston has always been on the forefront for Skyscrapers

Dallas' tallest building from 1954-1965

Republic National Bank Building then Republic Tower I and now Gables Republic Tower. This building was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River from 1954-1959. In the 60s a second tower was built, to surpass Southland Center (now Sheraton Dallas Hotel) . The FAA scaled down the building. So Republic Tower I spire is taller than the Republic Tower II. Republic Tower I was converted into a residential tower.

Republic Tower I
Built 1954
Roof Height 452 ft (138m)
Spire 601 ft
Floors 32

Republic Tower II
Built 1964
Roof Height 598 ft (182m)
Floors 50

Southland Center now Sheraton Dallas Hotel This building was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River from 1959-1964. The tallest tower was an office tower for the Southland Life Insurance Company. The smaller tower was a Sheraton Hotel. In the 1980s a 31 story addition was added for more office space. In 1988 Southland Center left the complex and soon after the Sheraton Hotel closed. The property sat vacant for many years. In 1998 Adam's Mark Hotel bought the property and made it into one large hotel. This became the largest and tallest hotel in Texas. In 2007 the hotel was turned into the Sheraton Dallas Hotel.

Center Tower
Floors 42
Roof Height 550 ft
Built 1959

North Tower
Built 1981
Roof height 448 ft
Floors 31

South Tower
Built 1959
Roof Height 353 ft
Floors 28

First National Bank Tower now Elm Place This building was the tallest building west of the Mississippi River from 1965-1969. This building sits on an 8 story base that takes up a whole city block. This building was suppose to be 96 ft taller, but it was scaled back because of Dallas Love Field. This building was one of the brightest lit buildings in Dallas. In January 2010 the building was closed.

Elm Place
Built 1965
Roof Height 625 ft
Floors 52

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas