Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 09:43 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe you're referring to me & some of my posts in which I have indeed made a few Houston & LA comparisons. There are similarities in the two cities & I'll be more than happy to point them out to you if you wish. Attitude wise you are correct, Houston is nothing like LA...Dallas on the other hand wishes it was LA with its 30K millionaire hipster crowd driving their 3 Series BMW's like they're the ****. I've never seen so many D-bags gathered in one place as I've seen at some of the nightclubs in Dallas, Tx.
Then you're hanging out at the wrong places in Dallas. It's a big city with lots of diversity. If you don't like the chi-chi options, then check out some of the "un-Dallas" parts of Dallas (Oak Cliff, Henderson Ave, Lower Greenville, Deep Ellum, Exposition and the Cedars will get you started). Your constant ragging on Dallas as if it is some monolithic unit that wants to emulate LA is really tiresome. If places like Uptown make you feel uncomfortable, then don't go there. But please stop labeling Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 09:44 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Maybe you're referring to me & some of my posts in which I have indeed made a few Houston & LA comparisons. There are similarities in the two cities & I'll be more than happy to point them out to you if you wish. Attitude wise you are correct, Houston is nothing like LA...Dallas on the other hand wishes it was LA with its 30K millionaire hipster crowd driving their 3 Series BMW's like they're the ****. I've never seen so many D-bags gathered in one place as I've seen at some of the nightclubs in Dallas, Tx.
I wasnt talking about you or attitude in Houston vs. LA. Im talking about the cities themselves. LA itself might not be the most laid back, but all the communities around it are. I grew up in the South Bay. Its very laid back, diverse, and international. Houston may have characteristics like that, but Houston has nothing like the South Bay. Houston has no mountains, no riveria, and no beaches that are anything like LA. Im also sorry to inform you that Houston is not as international as LA and wont be in our lifetimes. The only cities in the US that are as international as LA are NYC and maybe Miami. Other than that, forget about it.

I have noticed that you love to talk in generalites. Dallas and LA are full of douchebags, while Houston is full of diversity, tall and pretty buildings, open-mindedness, lush trees, and welcoming people. While some of that may be true about Houston, I assure you LA is full of people who are NOT plastic. Youre letting sterotypes get in your way. Youre I could take you around my hometown and you would meet some of the friendliest, kindest, most down to earth people youve ever encountered. And guess what? Ive meet some very friendly down to earth people here in Dallas too. No one here has asked me about what kind of car I drive because I ride the DART to work. No one here has asked me about church. Ive meet a**holes in Houston (more than a few seem to appear on this site). My dad just moved to Houston and one of the first things his new boss at his oil company job asked him was if he was ready for the rapture and if he had been saved. There are different kinds of people everywhere and its a shame people dont see that.

The problem Ive noticed on here is that both DFW and Houston want to be the #1 at everything and theyre NOT. Dallas gets its chops busted because Houston propper is bigger and Houston gets its chops busted because the Dallas/FW MSA is larger and growing faster. Who the **** cares?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:31 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I wasnt talking about you or attitude in Houston vs. LA. Im talking about the cities themselves. LA itself might not be the most laid back, but all the communities around it are. I grew up in the South Bay. Its very laid back, diverse, and international. Houston may have characteristics like that, but Houston has nothing like the South Bay. Houston has no mountains, no riveria, and no beaches that are anything like LA. Im also sorry to inform you that Houston is not as international as LA and wont be in our lifetimes. The only cities in the US that are as international as LA are NYC and maybe Miami. Other than that, forget about it.

I have noticed that you love to talk in generalites. Dallas and LA are full of douchebags, while Houston is full of diversity, tall and pretty buildings, open-mindedness, lush trees, and welcoming people. While some of that may be true about Houston, I assure you LA is full of people who are NOT plastic. Youre letting sterotypes get in your way. Youre I could take you around my hometown and you would meet some of the friendliest, kindest, most down to earth people youve ever encountered. And guess what? Ive meet some very friendly down to earth people here in Dallas too. No one here has asked me about what kind of car I drive because I ride the DART to work. No one here has asked me about church. Ive meet a**holes in Houston (more than a few seem to appear on this site). My dad just moved to Houston and one of the first things his new boss at his oil company job asked him was if he was ready for the rapture and if he had been saved. There are different kinds of people everywhere and its a shame people dont see that.

The problem Ive noticed on here is that both DFW and Houston want to be the #1 at everything and theyre NOT. Dallas gets its chops busted because Houston propper is bigger and Houston gets its chops busted because the Dallas/FW MSA is larger and growing faster. Who the **** cares?
Most of this Dallas Vs. Houston debate is all in fun. Each city wants to be the biggest & best in Texas. Citizens in either place really have no need to go to the other unless its for business, friends, family, etc. I'm sure there are people who live in one & travel back & forth to the other on a daily, weekly, monthly basis for work who enjoy both cities equally. I, myself happen to prefer Houston over Dallas because I enjoy the coast & semi-tropical region its located in. Growing up in East Texas, I'm accustomed to the humidity & seeing pine trees, so naturally I fell in love with Houston the very first time I went there. I've lived in North Dallas, Arlington, & Lewisville, for some reason I just can't get attached to any of them the way I did Houston.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:

The fact that you threw out Houston as being international, but threw in Miami ruined everything you said after that. Houston is arguably the most diverse and international city in the south. Being internationally known is one thing, but having an international presence and being connected to foreign countries is another. Houston has the connections (#1 in Foreign tonnage for ports and the most consulates in the south) and the presence (Huge presence in Africa, South America, and the Middle East; Growing presence in Asia).

Old 08-28-2009, 01:19 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The fact that you threw out Houston as being international, but threw in Miami ruined everything you said after that. Houston is arguably the most diverse and international city in the south. Being internationally known is one thing, but having an international presence and being connected to foreign countries is another. Houston has the connections (#1 in Foreign tonnage for ports and the most consulates in the south) and the presence (Huge presence in Africa, South America, and the Middle East; Growing presence in Asia).
Correct. Repped!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Thats why I said "maybe Miami". That part is subjective. However Los Angeles and SoCal is more international than anywhere in Texas. Thats not even up for discussion.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Thats why I said "maybe Miami". That part is subjective. However Los Angeles and SoCal is more international than anywhere in Texas. Thats not even up for discussion.
It could be; You underestimate exactly how international Houston is. Houston has been ranked up with LA and NYC when it comes to diversity. Houston loses it due to little publicity.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
It could be; You underestimate exactly how international Houston is. Houston has been ranked up with LA and NYC when it comes to diversity. Houston loses it due to little publicity.
No Im not and no it isnt even close. Ive worked in Houston many times. It is indeed international, but it isnt nearly as much so as LA.

jluke, youve made alot of statements about LA (about it being segregated, comparing Houston to it, etc.). How much time have you actually spent in the Los Angeles area?

Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Well bringing this thread back to the OP... the thing I have noticed about Dallas is that it is more multi-polar, suburb-oriented city than Houston. Houston's larger population is due to annexation which prevented Houston from developing the distinct and powerful suburbs that the DFW areas has. It seems the DFW area has tons of 100,000+ pop suburbs throughout the area. The only negative aspect to this is Houston has a stronger inner city area, while Dallas's downtown and inner areas aren't the center of the metro.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Well bringing this thread back to the OP... the thing I have noticed about Dallas is that it is more multi-polar, suburb-oriented city than Houston. Houston's larger population is due to annexation which prevented Houston from developing the distinct and powerful suburbs that the DFW areas has. It seems the DFW area has tons of 100,000+ pop suburbs throughout the area. The only negative aspect to this is Houston has a stronger inner city area, while Dallas's downtown and inner areas aren't the center of the metro.
I think thats a very accurate assement of the two cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas