Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Order is good, but i like the randomness of Houston. It makes it feel like there's something going on in different parts of the city and everything is not just confined to one tiny area. Like it was mentioned earlier, Houston's no zoning has created some unique clusters around the city while still managing to acheive a dense cluster in and around downtown just like those buildings innercity Dallas. It's like a Dallas/Fort Worth wrapped up in to one, only you don't have to travel outside into different jurisdictions and break the continuity of the metro's fabric to get the feel of it.

Houston's city/metro has definitely gotten denser. Many Dallasites on here try to discredit it to sprawl, but H's downtown is larger, just as dense, and has more options. Once you leave downtown/Uptown Dallas, you've just about seen the best of Dallas. Leaving downtown Houston is a different story. Take a drive down Westheimer between Bagby Street and 610, it really feels like an urban oasis now with all the new developments. Kirby drive has transformed and possibly becoming the new Broadway. And if that's not enough for you, travel south down Main Street/Fannin Street, you enter the exciting urban clusters of the Museum District, then the Medical Center, then Reliant Astrodome. Midtown is red hot right now and swiveling over to the east, you have the new Dynamo and up and coming Eado (which is kind of Dallas's Bryan Place equivalent), and the area north of downtown is about to take off in a minute.

So Dallasites, go ahead and say "Oh i'll take order". But sorry, everyone knows too much order is boring! Even New York and Los Angeles don't have all that order as you put it. Houston's core swallows Dallas's, chews it, and spits it out.
Too much order???...ok I get it...this is where you twist a positive into a negative. I have never heard anybody leave dallas
saying " ugghhh...Dallas was just too orderly". There may be some people that dislike how Dallas develops itself but i promise you way more people are pleasantly surprised when they visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM

229 posts, read 305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Of course its a neat place but you all act like only Dallas core is getting urban, when Houstons actually has a head start.
Yes between one and two miles iof uptown, has gotten much denser over the past years, but its still not as dense as the same distance around midtown. Further, the 5 mile radius around midtown, has quite a few more people than the same radius around uptown. In fact between that and ten miles there was actually population loss. So yes uptown is improving at a faster rate than midtown, but still not as big, and the inner loop as a whole is growing healthly while the coresponding area in Dallas is losing population.

Why cant dallas posters give recognition to the inner loop

Because although you guys brag about how big it is compared to Dallas, and how "dense" it is, you fail to recognize that size does not matter in this case. It is how those areas interact and are connected. Your areas are not contiguous and are not walkable. You may have one slightly walkable area over here, but the other one is miles away and the only way to get there is by car. There is no continuity. In Dallas, our smaller size that you guys so often like to point out is actually working to our advantage. Most of our inner-city areas are somewhat connected, and many are contiguous, and because of that, we are creating this neat urban experience, where you can actually walk from one area to the other, or take rail, or a trolley. Until Houston is able to connect all the dots, you will never have a true, urban experience. And unless somehow, you are able to mow down tons of suburban-like neighborhoods, those dots will never be connected, despite what you guys claim. I have been there hundreds of time so I know of what I speak.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:25 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
i love how Dallas posters completely ignore busses.. Houston has one of the best bus/HOV systems in the country, but most Dallasites give off that im too good for busses vibe and only focus on rail. believe me, a city of 6 million people isnt only relying on one (though soon to be 3) light rail line for mass transit.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:38 AM

328 posts, read 471,695 times
Default mmmm...sidewalks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarn View Post
[/b]

Because although you guys brag about how big it is compared to Dallas, and how "dense" it is, you fail to recognize that size does not matter in this case. It is how those areas interact and are connected. Your areas are not contiguous and are not walkable. You may have one slightly walkable area over here, but the other one is miles away and the only way to get there is by car. There is no continuity. In Dallas, our smaller size that you guys so often like to point out is actually working to our advantage. Most of our inner-city areas are somewhat connected, and many are contiguous, and because of that, we are creating this neat urban experience, where you can actually walk from one area to the other, or take rail, or a trolley. Until Houston is able to connect all the dots, you will never have a true, urban experience. And unless somehow, you are able to mow down tons of suburban-like neighborhoods, those dots will never be connected, despite what you guys claim. I have been there hundreds of time so I know of what I speak.
That is well-written--factual, concise and true.

My 2 cents: And our walkable areas have sidewalks!

Old 06-12-2013, 11:44 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
i love how Dallas posters completely ignore busses.. Houston has one of the best bus/HOV systems in the country, but most Dallasites give off that im too good for busses vibe and only focus on rail. believe me, a city of 6 million people isnt only relying on one (though soon to be 3) light rail line for mass transit.
Because Dallas doesn't have busses? It's the same mode of transportation as cars. Roads.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Because you and everyone else knows that busses does not equate to a prefered way of travel.Yes houston has lots of them...so does most big cities. Busses are somewhat unreliable...and does not represent progression in transit options for an evolving city like Houston. Houston had busses back in the 30's. Nothing new or enhancing about a bus.Just like the evolution of the wheel. They started out being made of rock and wood. To day they are more advanced with rubber fittings but at the end of the day its still just a wheel.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Because you and everyone else knows that busses does not equate to a prefered way of travel.Yes houston has lots of them...so does most big cities. Busses are somewhat unreliable...and does not represent progression in transit options for an evolving city like Houston. Houston had busses back in the 30's. Nothing new or enhancing about a bus.Just like the evolution of the wheel. They started out being made of rock and wood. To day they are more advanced with rubber fittings but at the end of the day its still just a wheel.
So what's so special about rail then?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:55 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
right? thats all i was thinking the whole time he went on about the wheel. Houston had rail in the early 1900s. Rail is older than the vehicle. nothing great or new about it..

all jokes aside, of course light rail would be the preferred mode of travel but as you pointed out our city is about twice as large and that makes connecting it by light rail insanely expensive. not to mention the additional neighborhoods and districts the lines would need to get jurisdiction from to run through. were working on it, but you guys definitely had the head start on light rail. Houston can thank Tom Delay for that..

Last edited by TexasTallest; 06-12-2013 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It gives alternative options of transport to those who wouldnt be caught dead riding or waiting on a bus.therefore managing to STILL get them out of their cars.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
ugh, theres that Dallas pretentiousness that i hate so much.. who are you trying to impress? your city is filled with so many fake people it makes me sick.
Its people in Houston that wouldn't be caught dead riding or waiting on a bus(HENCE EVERYBODY DRIVES!!!)...I ride buses and rail in Dallas....Quit Generalizing Dallas based on a reality that every city has.

You are letting your feelings towards Dallas get the best of you......now breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas