Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 08:22 AM

23 posts, read 115,508 times

Advertisements

About this talk of snakes and dogs. I'm having a hard time not believing a snake bite will not kill my 8lb dog. Now I know the larger dogs might not, but 8lbs isn't much.

We would like to get some an acre or two in Texas, if we move there. And I know we may come across snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 09:46 AM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Hey I need them. I haven't gotten there yet. Don't end this thread.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:12 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound for Texas
Hey I need them. I haven't gotten there yet. Don't end this thread.
I hope they can help you as much as they helped me. I am graciously bowing out.

Old 07-24-2006, 03:29 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
To all of you with dogs,they make a rattlesnake vaccination for dogs that gives them immunity from them.Check with any Texas vet and he can give it.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:04 PM

437 posts, read 2,238,862 times
Lifer, how could I forget. I see that sign in my vets office every time I go. Gee, I am getting old.

Thanks for reminding me of that. I guess because its out of State I didn't think about it.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:23 AM

15 posts, read 78,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer8
O.K., So we bought 3 and a half acres 9 months ago (outside of Abilene) and it's fantastic! We love country living! EXCEPT... My husband just killed a rattlesnake on our wrap around porch! I had just finished telling my 7 year old to go outside and help her Daddy ... Anyway, I'm panicky. We are off to get some cats and I've tried to find the Rattlesnake Roundup people in hopes that they want to hunt for all of the creatures here on our rocky hillside. Does anyone have any further advice? Thanks All!
A friend gave me some bullets that have pellets inside of the bullets, that way if you have to shoot a snake you get a wider range, kind of like a miniature shotgun type of thing. I have coral snakes and copperheads but seldom see them unless it's April or October - April, they start moving into the sun to get warm from the winter, and October they are looking for a warmer place, right after that first cool front hits. Be especially careful during these times, and learn about snake habits so you can avoid or kill them.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan
Quite right.Our neighbor had a mountain lion in his backyard today.
Right. They built only five homes on the 100 acres in back of me, and now I have double the squirrel and bird nests, from the trees that were torn down to accommodate the homes. Also now have a lot more deer to feed. Wish the new neighbors would chip in! They are so pretty to watch, and the place wouldn't be the same without all of the pretty creatures!

Old 07-27-2006, 08:31 AM

363 posts, read 2,019,824 times
Thank you. That is very informative. I think my husband is looking into just that type of gun. We don't have much experience with them, so something "gentle" that requires little aiming skill is the answer for us. Am I understanding your description correctly?

Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
O.K. I know... I'm overly sensitive. I hear you... I'm just... oh ugh. I hope we can get used to this, cause we love living out in the country and no matter where we move in our lives, we want to stay in the country... there will always be wildlife that goes with rural living.... I admit, I'm a bit scared.
Look at it this way...you are way more likely, if you lived in a city, to be killed by some criminal there. VERY few folks die from snakebite annually...don't worry, just have an emergency plan if it happens. You will get used to it and everyone will learn to be vigilent, just as you were in the city, but you learned to watch for different things there.

Old 07-27-2006, 10:21 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,632,596 times
Quote:
Thank you. That is very informative. I think my husband is looking into just that type of gun. We don't have much experience with them, so something "gentle" that requires little aiming skill is the answer for us. Am I understanding your description correctly?

__________________________________________________ ______________

The shotshells referred to come in .38 Special (which will also shoot in a .357 magnum) and in .44 Special (which also works in revolvers chambered for .44Magnum). These are available at Academy Stores throughout Texas and come in a 10-pack. These are revolver rounds not for semi-automatics.

Also a rather good little shotgun to have around for varmits is the Verney-Carron "Snake Charmer" [search]in .410guage. The stainless steel/composite stock model requires little upkeep (won't rust). Also availabe in .28 guage (**** Chenney's favorite round).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas