Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 07:12 AM

389 posts, read 1,630,832 times

Advertisements

Since I see many posts concerned with the property tax situation in Austin, I thought I would bring up a subject that some may be overlooking.

Austin (and Texas in general) is quite a popular long-term destination for Mexicans. This is a trend that is projected to proceed at a brisk pace that will continue to place specific stresses on Austin's schools, hospitals, and criminal justice system.

I don't see how this trend can do anything but increase a property tax burden that is already considered high by many people on this forum. The 'Robin Hood' school finance system insures that no Texas property tax payer can avoid the statewide predicament.

Taken to the extreme, I can envision a day where there is enough political power behind this group to start pushing for "wealth redistribution" via a state income tax.

Since federal taxes aren't specific to Austin, I'll save my rant regarding the inevitability of their increase as well. If you enjoy facing reality, here is a fun link:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2528226.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:05 PM

218 posts, read 579,980 times
Actually, I think what would be more likely to happen is that Congress will decide (and there is already talk on this) that it just isn't "fair" for some states to not pay income tax. I would imagine some states with no income tax will one day be a thing of the past.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:06 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Whether a state has an income tax or not is none of Congress' business.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:38 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Well, this is a new low in illegal bashing. Now our rising property taxes are their fault too!

I don't doubt that the increasing population of Texas, including illegals, will inevitably lead to higher property taxes, but to single out just that one group for the "blame" entirely overlooks a couple of salient facts:

1. Propery taxes are high because of the services we demand. We WANT good roads, good schools, parks, green spaces, community centers, fire and police protection, water and sewer systems. All that has to be paid for by property and sales taxes. If you use any of them, you're at least as big a part of the problem as are illegals.

2. Even illegals have to live somewhere and whether they rent or buy, they still will pay their share of the property taxes.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:14 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Well, this is a new low in illegal bashing. Now our rising property taxes are their fault too!

I don't doubt that the increasing population of Texas, including illegals, will inevitably lead to higher property taxes, but to single out just that one group for the "blame" entirely overlooks a couple of salient facts:

1. Propery taxes are high because of the services we demand. We WANT good roads, good schools, parks, green spaces, community centers, fire and police protection, water and sewer systems. All that has to be paid for by property and sales taxes. If you use any of them, you're at least as big a part of the problem as are illegals.

2. Even illegals have to live somewhere and whether they rent or buy, they still will pay their share of the property taxes.

Indeed? There are many instances where several families or individuals are crammed into one house or apartment. That is hardly what I consider an equitable share.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:48 AM

148 posts, read 503,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
[/b]

Indeed? There are many instances where several families or individuals are crammed into one house or apartment. That is hardly what I consider an equitable share.
I think that's called ..... uhhh.... what's that word....
freedom to do whatever you want with your property

Old 12-12-2009, 12:33 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilo-11 View Post
If they're RENTING, it's NOT their property.

They have no right to be here in the first place, so that's moot.

But that has never made any difference to either them or those who employ them.

And yeah, I grew up 100 miles from the US-Mexico border, and still live within 90 miles of that border, so I'm familiar with the problems.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

I fail to see where the OP is singling out illegals to place the blame of higher property taxes entirely on them. But you are extremely naive to think even for one moment that the influx of illegals have no impact on the state's ability to maintain all of the above services you mentioned. The more people using these services, the more the cost to maintain and the money has to come from some source (or sources) with the most logical one being property taxes. Or heck, what do I know? Maybe it grows on trees down here in Texas just for this very purpose.

Maybe you don't get the part of the picture that says 'illegal'. Obviously I need to go back to school as I just don't seem to comprehend the problem people have when understanding what it means to be illegal.

Quote:
Illegals rent. So, like Cathy says, not their property. Why would an illegal buy property in a foreign country even if they could? They face the daily chance of being caught, loaded up and exported.

Furthermore, you would be shocked at the number of bodies they can cram into a small space, it is amazing how they can survive in the situations they do.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Freedom to do whatever you want with your property except us wanting to keep ours.

Nice - they can demand whatever they want that is ours, but they can do their own thing when it comes to theirs.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
It's naive to think we can take in unlimited numbers of impoverished people, allow anyone at all to come here illegally and provide them nothing but the best hospitals, the best schools, the best standard of living the taxpayers can provide, accomodate their very high birth rates and believe that this can be good in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas