Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 04:44 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,383 times

Advertisements

China Grove/Adkins area (unincorporated San Antonio) born and raised, left and returned, currently reside here

Austin- 6 months of pure hell

Denton- loved it whenin college at UNT

Fort Worth- love and miss that town
White Settlement (just outside Fort Worth)- eh, Ft Worth is better, but it was where I could afford at the time

about to move to another area of San Antonio (north Central/north east- inside 1604)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 04:52 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
Stacey, can I ask why Austin was pure hell for you and what about FW you like so well?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Ozona
Lubbock
Rankin
McAllen
Midland

Tossup between Lubbock-Midland

Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM

So interesting how many people have lived in widely different parts of the state.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Stacey, can I ask why Austin was pure hell for you and what about FW you like so well?
Austin was hell for me due to the timing of when I was there. All in all I wouldn't say it was a bad place (now), but when I was there it just so happened to coincide with one bad thing after another happening to me.

Some of things that I think would make it hellish for me now are 1) severe allergies (mine were 10 times worse living there) 2) the city has no proper highways, severe congestion, and my disdain for driving would drive me insane in a very quick fashion and 3) earning a living is much more difficult in a city with so many grads, I can earn more and it costs less to live in lots of other places. Some people are willing to pay that price, for as they say it "quality of life", but imo it is vastly over-rated.....with that being said, I would live there in a heart beat if I get the 40K+ job I am looking for.

I loved Fort Worth because the cultural district is just so awesome. Fort Worth Modern (The Modern) is rated only 2nd to NYC modern art museum in their collection. The downtown area (Sundance Square) is lovely and everything is within walking distance, including nice restaurants, movies, a theatre (not movie type), comedy club. Also they seem to have a lot of really neat outdoor festivals that are family oriented.

The biggest plus for me to living in Ft Worth is that I could live "on the other side of town" from my job and still be there in 15 minutes.

I know some people will always think of the area as part of the Dallas whole (DFW metroplex) and it is a whole area with much to offer, but I don't care for Dallas, and in 5 years of living in FW, probably went into Dallas half a dozen times. For a lot of people that is part of the appeal, that they are so close to those other cities (dallas, Arlington (love me some ball games), and many many burbs in the area).

Old 09-06-2009, 05:20 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,137 times
San Antonio
DeSoto
Waxahachie
Grand Prairie
Happy

Old 09-06-2009, 05:24 PM

The art museums in Fort Worth really are good. I like the Kimball and love the Amon Carter (Western art), but the Modern never made much impression on me. Maybe their collection has improved since the 1980s.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The art museums in Fort Worth really are good. I like the Kimball and love the Amon Carter (Western art), but the Modern never made much impression on me. Maybe their collection has improved since the 1980s.

Woaaaaa! Was that the last time you were there?

If so, I would have to laugh really hard, because I know the city has changed by leaps and bounds since then. I lived there from 1998 to 2003. The new Modern (building) was built by renowned Japanese architect, Tadao Ando in 2002 and is a work of art in itself.
Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth (http://www.themodern.org/building.html - broken link)

The Kimball and Amon are good as well, I am just more a fan of modern art, than traditional.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Wasn't there some huge controversy over the new Modern building? I seem to recall reading about it in the Austin American-Statesman and there being some problems or controversy. The last time I was in Fort Worth actually was in 2003 or 2004. I haven't lived there, however, since 1984. I've been up many times since then, as my mother and stepdad lived there for a few years in the '90s and after they moved to Denton I usually stayed in Fort Worth when visiting them. I don't think I've ever actually been inside the new Modern, however.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:14 PM

25 posts, read 83,700 times
Abilene
Waco (China Spring)

Like both places really well but like Waco a bit better. Love the location and its proximaty to other cities. The people are great. We came here for the good job opportunites, and that has worked out really well. Not too big, not too small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas