Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 08:43 PM

454 posts, read 688,910 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that since I've come here from the east coast, I've had close to no luck in meeting Hispanic guys to date in the area. I only meet a small few here and there, which doesnt give me many options Myself I am mixed with a few different races, but I am told I look everything from Black, Dominican, Cuban, Half white etc...

My thing though is that many (I will not generalize, so when I say I dont mean everyone) of the Latin guys in this area dont seem to be interested that much in seeing someone who doesnt look or is 100% Latin. My thing is I used to exclusively date Latino men and now its gotten to the point where Im forced to date others because they dont seem interested around here. Just today I got 'turned down' because a guy I met online didnt think I looked 'Hispanic' enough in person. I say so because before and during the time we met he asked me; almost with scrutiny, "are you Hispanic?"

Why is like that here!? I have never met with such resistance until I moved here. When I was on the east coast this conversation would be non-existant. I wouldnt have even realized things are so much more different in the same country

Can someone help me out? Is it like this with other races around here too? I can almost care less at this point because Im counting down my last few weeks in this very mediocre place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
The east coast has so many more people of Puerto Rican and Dominican descent, whereas in Texas most Hispanics are of Mexican or possibly Central American origins. I suspect that explains a lot.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:08 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
I teach at a relatively affluent suburban HS that has lots of Hispanic students. When it comes to dating, one seems to be constrained by race. I see Anglo kids dating Hispanic kids, black kids dating Hispanic kids, black kids dating Asian kids, Asian kids dating Hispanic kids, etc, etc. But most of the Hispanic kids I teach are 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th....generation Texans with middle class or professional parents. Most barely seem to even know much Spanish.

That said, the Hispanic culture in Texas is almost entirely Mexican and Central American. Which is a completely different culture than the Caribbean culture you see on the east coast (Cuban, Dominican, Puerto Rican) or the South American culture you find in big east coast cities (Colombian, Argentinian, Chilean, etc.). And there is some history of friction between the black and Hispanic communities in Texas. For example, in the last election, Hispanics, especially older Hispanics widely supported Hillary Clinton over Obama in the Democratic primary. If people read you as black then that could be part of the issue. Mexico is WAY different from the multi-racial countries of the Caribbean such as Cuba and the Dominican Republic.

Frankly, there really isn't any such thing as a generic Hispanic culture. I'm Anglo but my wife is Hispanic. She is originally from an upper class family in Chile and really has nothing in common with the dominant Mexican-Hispanic culture here in Texas. Which is of predominantly rural and lower class roots (middle and upper class Mexicans rarely immigrate to the US). She doesn't understand or much like the Mexican food we get here. She doesn't understand half the slang. And she's never heard of most of the traditions. Mexico is much more of a foreign country to her than it is for most Texans, even though she shares the language.

Last edited by texasdiver; 09-06-2009 at 09:31 PM..

Old 09-06-2009, 09:32 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Two things missing here...

For one you didn't mention what race/s you are mixed with & two where you live in Texas, both of which could make a huge difference as to how your question is answered.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:47 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

For one you didn't mention what race/s you are mixed with & two where you live in Texas, both of which could make a huge difference as to how your question is answered.
True. I don't think we'd be having this conversation if the OP lived in central Houston.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,556 times
I think it must be the people you are meeting. I am white and grew up in predominant Hispanic culture around me, and most people donot think twice about inter-mingling.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
I have noticed that since I've come here from the east coast, I've had close to no luck in meeting Hispanic guys to date in the area. I only meet a small few here and there, which doesnt give me many options Myself I am mixed with a few different races, but I am told I look everything from Black, Dominican, Cuban, Half white etc...

My thing though is that many (I will not generalize, so when I say I dont mean everyone) of the Latin guys in this area dont seem to be interested that much in seeing someone who doesnt look or is 100% Latin. My thing is I used to exclusively date Latino men and now its gotten to the point where Im forced to date others because they dont seem interested around here. Just today I got 'turned down' because a guy I met online didnt think I looked 'Hispanic' enough in person. I say so because before and during the time we met he asked me; almost with scrutiny, "are you Hispanic?"

Why is like that here!? I have never met with such resistance until I moved here. When I was on the east coast this conversation would be non-existant. I wouldnt have even realized things are so much more different in the same country

Can someone help me out? Is it like this with other races around here too? I can almost care less at this point because Im counting down my last few weeks in this very mediocre place...
You are of mixed race, yet you used to date Latino men exclusively, and now you're "forced" to date other races. Many mixed marriages have gone through a lot of prejudice (and some still do) to get acceptance, yet you seem to reject that by dating only Latino men. Time for you to get past the color barrier and judge a person on their character, not color.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess its true the differences between the coast too. I just remember a time in Florida when I would be asked out or approached (or do the approaching) to a Latino guy and I wouldnt have to think twice.

Yet I've been here a year now and feel I've lost touch. Now, I am attracted (dated and slept with) different races of men and I would not turn down a hot guy if he happened to not be Latino. Im just wondering why is it so hard to click with Latinos around here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Im mixed with Black, Native American and White. I live in Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You are of mixed race, yet you used to date Latino men exclusively, and now you're "forced" to date other races. Many mixed marriages have gone through a lot of prejudice (and some still do) to get acceptance, yet you seem to reject that by dating only Latino men. Time for you to get past the color barrier and judge a person on their character, not color.
Its not that, its just that is my primary type. Im not judging anyone or looking at color barriers. As you can see, Im not Latino background.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM

627 posts, read 1,622,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post

Im mixed with Black, Native American and White. I live in Dallas.

The thing that's holding you back is Black. Many hispanic guys see blacks as inferior race.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
The thing that's holding you back is Black. Many hispanic guys see blacks as inferior race.
I wouldnt see it as 'holding me back'. Now maybe its that way with the people down here and the way they see it. I'd suggest they are just sheltered....

I think it has to do with the whole Texas B.S. thats bought up down here. This place has some really screwed up history which seems why there is so many narrow-minded people here with skewed ideas of people. I just cant see how the people who live here consider this dump 'normal' living and a normal lifestyle. Its not normal by any means. Im just thankful for the small percentage of native Texans here who actually are open-minded.

Its also funny that the Mexicans here would see me as inferior because of my background. You go a few hundred miles to the east and the comments I would here about Mexicans in Florida and along the east coast would make your jaw drop. These coming from mostly other Hispanics and whites. Far worse than what they'd say to another non-Mexican person. Being that I dont like to feed into those type of things, but still its that much different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas