Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,602,696 times

Advertisements

Great thread topic! Kudos (and rep point!) to the OP!

I just gotta put in a plug for my old alma mater. The Wichita Falls High School Coyotes!

No, to be honest, it aint what it used to be. But back in the "day" of "Texas School Boy" football (i.e. 1940's thru early 1960's), they were a powerhouse and a half!

At one time, they were tied with the old Abilene High School for most State Championships won.

I guess it is old age, but that was in the day where there wasn't all that deliniation between the classifications and divisions of the same and anybody who didn't lose every game got to go to the playoffs. LOL

Nope. There was 4-A, and if you won the district, you went to the Bi-District, Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and "State"

I can still get a bit nostalgic, remembering the Coyote games as a kid. To paraphrase Jan Reid in his book "Vain Glory"...remembering the announcer at the old Coyote Stadium calling out...blasting out over the crackly loud-speakers...

"Allred the up-man...Coyotes, single wing right..."

Ahhh..memories. And the kid walking up and down the wooden stadium steps with his wares in a box with the strap around his shoulder... calling out "peanuts, cokes...get 'em here"

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-01-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 01:11 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Recent trends indicate the schools with the money to hire the best coaches and build the uber training facilities are the programs that succeed. There are lots of these in DFW suburbs (Plano, Southlake, Allen) and a few in Houston (Katy, The Woodlands). Now these schools are not necessarily where the best athletes are but they have the best teams. To see the most future Division I or NFL prospects, you'd need to go to inner city Houston or Dallas...small town Texas as well.
In other words what you're saying is that he should go to the predominately black schools where they value ball over education.

And I have to disagree with this. Because 9 times out of 10 what you will find at these schools is boys who have the talent to play themselves into a scholarship, but lack the discipline and fundamentals to be a stand out for the pros.

NFL material players come from all races and all backgrounds.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:50 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Best fan support for ANY highschool is without a doubt Port Neches-Groves High School. Not many state Championships ... 3 in fact!
Agree! I went to a game at PNG several years ago - it was an early season non-district game - during a time when the PNG team was not doing all that well - I was amazed to see the stands packed.

I wondered if it were homecoming or some special occasion - nope just a regular non-district game on an off year.

When PNG came to our place - the PNG fans had to come buy tickets to sit on the home side.

Also got to see the PNG state final game in the old Astrodome several years ago - Stephenville won - but the crowd support for PNG was unbelievable.

They are undefeated this year - I told a buddy he has to go see a PNG playoff game at some point in his life. We are planning to find one to go see.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
That's easy...who goes to the play-offs?

The 5A teams with the most play-off appearances:
1. Amarillo 46
2. Plano 42
3. Temple 36
4. Longview 32

4A
1. Highland Park 48
2. Wichita Falls 38
3. Corsicana 36
4. Bay City 35

Old 11-06-2009, 09:24 AM

277 posts, read 577,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's easy...who goes to the play-offs?

The 5A teams with the most play-off appearances:
1. Amarillo 46
2. Plano 42
3. Temple 36
4. Longview 32

4A
1. Highland Park 48
2. Wichita Falls 38
3. Corsicana 36
4. Bay City 35
That's not necessarily the best indicator. Some of those schools may just be the best of weak districts over the years.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:55 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
When was the last time South Texas schools won 5A state championship Mr. trash talker?

The best team I can think of out of South Texas is La Joya. Whatever team down there that wins big loses big against teams like Austin Westlake.
The last time a South Texas team one was in the 60's. The Donna Redskins won it all. As for the Valley's chances now, they are somewhere between zero and none. I lived in the Valley for about 6 years. The first week I was there, my wife's uncle wanted to impress me by taking me see "Real high school football Texas style". He had got wind of the fact that I attended Naperville North High School, which is a power house in Illinois. Donna played Calallen from up in Corpus. "Oh, Donna will probably win" he told me. I immediately told him he was nuts. At the coin toss, the Donna captains looked like midgets compared to the Calallen players. I want to say that Calallen won by about 30. Donna was one of the best 5A's in the Valley that year. They got their butts kicked by a 4A team. The whole entire Valley generally produces about ten to fifteen collegiate players a year. There can be 4 or more on some of the best teams in the state. So to whoever said "We can take our South Texas teams up north and kick your butt," please, don't make me laugh.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gribbler View Post
That's not necessarily the best indicator. Some of those schools may just be the best of weak districts over the years.
It's not, especially since they started expanding the playoffs, and going on total playoff appearances tends to be biased toward the older programs.

Bay City's program is a century old, and while the Blackcats were once one of the Gulf Coast's best, right now they're awful. They have been for the last three or four years. I watched Dickinson shut them out in BC earlier this season.

Four teams make the playoffs in every district, which is too much (at least for most districts where they're doing good to have three who legitimately deserve to not be handing in their pads after Week 10) and in Bay City's district (23-4A) there are only five teams.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:37 AM

185 posts, read 463,547 times
South Texas football, from the valley rules!!!!!!
We may not win, but at least we have the prettiest girlfriends, i.e.; novias
Soccer anyone, orale!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:32 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,934,029 times
I think I read someplace that high school crowds in Midland/Odessa can be 40k-plus. Is that right?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:33 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyson boy View Post
Texas is a powerhouse for high school football.....but who is the best??
Just about every area has seen a state championship or three every now and then. It's practically redundant to even consider singling out one Texas town or city, even though there are many legendary stories almost anywhere you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas