Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
If you were a native Texan, you'd know that grilling ain't BBQing. They can't be compared.
There ya go! Rep for you, my friend!

As to the larger topic? Welllll -- I confess -- being a native Texan -- I ain't totally cleansed of some heretical notions myself. For instance, I prefer pork over beef...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Iron Works is actually quite good, though it's no City Market in Luling. Rudy's is just okay.

And as a native Texan, I prefer pork ribs, but beef brisket.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Don't get me wrong Texas bbq is good, but churrasco is so much better. Check it out Churrasco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and I recommend you head to the nearest Fogo de chao. It might hurt your pride that there is better style of barbeque, but you will enjoy the meal.
This feller means well. I implore his life be spared!

OT -- got a poll to post today. Stay tuned cos it actually relates to the above intended metaphorical lines...

Old 09-27-2009, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Iron Works is actually quite good, though it's no City Market in Luling. Rudy's is just okay.

And as a native Texan, I prefer pork ribs, but beef brisket.
Lord a' mercy...I KNEW we agreed on LOTS of things! Just not you know what! LOL

Old 09-27-2009, 10:23 AM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
This feller means well. I implore his life be spared!

OT -- got a poll to post today. Stay tuned cos it actually relates to the above intended metaphorical lines...
A poll is a good idea didnt think of it, but I am worried about bias since this is the Texas forum.

Any suggestions for other types of barbecuing besides Texan and Churrasco? Some people mentioned Korean.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
A poll is a good idea didnt think of it, but I am worried about bias since this is the Texas forum.
Actually, the "poll" I was referring to, was connected to that "spare this man's life" and sorta blended your great topic with the Alamo legends! LOL

Don't worry about the bias, my friend. We are always congenial folk around here and welcome "outsider" viewpoints. In fact, it often leads to very good discussions (that is, until yankees start parading their "Civil War" victory...or tell us how it was better "Up North"! LOL and just kiddin').

Quote:
Any suggestions for other types of barbecuing besides Texan and Churrasco? Some people mentioned Korean.
Oh man, I wish I count count the number of threads on Texas BBQ! LOL Two ways to get Texans to fight is suggest Crockett may have surrendered at the Alamo, or start on BBQ!

About the only thing I can say for a fact is that BBQ in Texas/South is a noun, not a verb. Cooking hamburgers out on the grill is NOT barbequing (at least not down here). Here is a cute little "video" on it:

YouTube - The BBQ Song

Old 09-27-2009, 01:33 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,776,222 times
Here is some tasty Texas bbq

Very good, but nothing too special.

Now here is some Churrasco. Try not to drool all over yourself when you see this delicious and savory food.

http://findingnewflavors.files.wordp.../churrasco.jpg

http://extra.globo.com/fotos/2009/06/04/04_MVG_churrasco1.jpg (broken link)

http://www.rentinrio.com/images/Food_Pictures/barbeque.jpg (broken link)

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rede_prod/assets/0047/6880/churrasco8_thumb.jpg (broken link)

As, you can see both are very good forms of cooking.

Conclusion: Churrasco > Texas BBQ

Last edited by Bo; 09-28-2009 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: Removed copyrighted image.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:40 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Conclusion: joejitsu personally prefers churrasco to Texas BBQ. Completely subjective (I love both, as it happens).

Posting links to avoid TOS/copyright violations:

Cooper's Pit BBQ.

More Cooper's.

City Market Luling.

More City Market.

Old 09-27-2009, 04:33 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
For what it costs, Rudy's is very good, much better than Grady's or Bill Miller's. I've never seen Iron Works.
Rudy's meats are $16-$18 per pound. Almost twice as expensive as the holy grail joints in Ms. HorseLadys post....& almost twice as much as the a dozen or more better places for BBQ in each of our metro areas. (& Rudy's is to BBQ what Olive Garden is to Italian Food).

& I agree that this OPs comparison is about apples & oranges.....the South American entres are grilled....& BBQ is not. They're as similar as each regions version of "football".

Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Man those pictures do not do Texas BBQ any justice and as funny as Rudy's is. Right now, I would love to have it because bbq in the DC area pretty much sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas