Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:28 PM

206 posts, read 503,538 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have some East Texas pictures of the fall colors they would like to share? When do the leave start to turn? Is it similar to other cooler areas of the country? Does east Texas lose its "Greenness" in winter? Share what you have about the east Texas seasons in word and/or picture. Thanks bman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
The trees are starting to drop their old leaves here in Tyler, but they haven't changed colors just yet because it hasn't stayed cool enough. I think towards the end of October is when we can expect to see some vibrant Fall colors. Yes, East Texas stays partially green year round because of all the pine trees in this region of the state. The further west you go, the browner it becomes.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
End of October it starts to ramp up. But we had such a dry summer, I don't know what the color will be like. I'll start taking photos next weekend and post here as we go along. I saw a tinge of change two weeks ago. It's more about the light than the cool weather.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:20 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,977,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
The trees are starting to drop their old leaves here in Tyler, but they haven't changed colors just yet because it hasn't stayed cool enough. I think towards the end of October is when we can expect to see some vibrant Fall colors. Yes, East Texas stays partially green year round because of all the pine trees in this region of the state. The further west you go, the browner it becomes.

This isn't entirely true. Austin stays partly green 12 months of the year because of the live oaks and the cedar.

As to autumn colour, the chinese tallow trees down in southeast TX put on a nice show, though that's more down toward Beaumont.

I'm a native Texan, but the truth is that in comparison with so many other parts of the country, autumn colour in Texas is very, very minimal and disappointing.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:30 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post

I'm a native Texan, but the truth is that in comparison with so many other parts of the country, autumn colour in Texas is very, very minimal and disappointing.
I'm a native Texan too and I agree. I've seen fall in North Carolina and West Virginia, it's gorgeous, fall color as far as you can see. In my opinion, ten leaves turning does not qualify as fall color.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:24 PM

206 posts, read 503,538 times
When I was in Mt Pleasant last August I mentioned to one of the locals that I was very impressed with how green and lush the area was and this individual told me that they (Mt Pleasant area) were fortunate to have had a somewhat wetter than usual summer. I know this isn't the case for Austin/SA but that area around Tyler was lush green in the middle of August! I am trying to envision what it looks like in January as the the average daily high is still well into the 60's. That is just so opposite from where I now live (western OR) which drys up and turns yellow by mid July from lack of rain.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:28 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Dude, you're thinking of leaving OREGON? that's the prettiest state..or one of the prettiest. My vote would go for Wyoming/Montana area.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:40 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
I've lived in Tennessee, Michigan, and Maine. Grew up and live in East Texas. My dad lives about 20 miles outside of Gatlinburg, Tennessee on the old paternal family farm. Texas has some color but it is quite scattered. Best color in Texas comes from the sweetgum, maple, and hickory (some hickories get astonishing golden). Blackgum is now quite red but it is small leaves. There is nowhere in Texas I'd travel to see leaves changing except Lost Maples State Park.

Obviously New England is by far the premier destination for autumn colors. Everybody should go at least once. The only pic I have online is this fishing pic but the background is commonplace. This is fall, late Sept., 2007 in mid-Maine about 40 miles SW of Bangor:

I have some awesome pics I need to put on the 'puter, maybe later.

Tennessee is nice, not outstanding, but better than Texas for fall foliage.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
This isn't entirely true. Austin stays partly green 12 months of the year because of the live oaks and the cedar.

As to autumn colour, the chinese tallow trees down in southeast TX put on a nice show, though that's more down toward Beaumont.

Not really. If you live in the west or on the gulf coast. Than sure; however, where I grew up our leaves changed colors.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
That's a cool pic, Bob.

Come on guys, lets be honest...fall foliage in Texas SUCKS!

Los Maples State park is pretty good, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas