Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Houston 14 45.16%
Dallas 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Why is Uptown Houston 6 miles away from Downtown Houston?
Uptown refers to an upperclass residential and commercial area that is in contrast to downtown. Not sure what Midtown refers to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:57 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Considering Uptown Dallas to reach up to Knox-Henderson (almost to SMU) and over to Oak Lawn/Cedar Springs/Turtle Creek and eventually the Design District, it is unbeatable. It also has the McKinney Avenue Trolley and a subway station at City Place. Victory has rail stations and will be getting another. I have no doubt that Victory and the West End will merge with the opening of the new Pritzker-Prize design of the Perot Natural History Museum. The new Woodall Rodgers Deck Park will essentially connect Downtown Dallas and the 70 acre Arts District to Uptown.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Uptown Dallas is what Midtown Houston could be. There is nothing like a Uptown Houston in Dallas.
VP has the potential to become a great asset to Dallas. But like poster above just said, they overestimated the demographic in the area. They tried to attract one group of people and they did not care for it. They tried to build a rich and upscale area from scratch and it didn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
The whole notion of "midtown" Dallas is a joke. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything.
If these are true, Houston should be winning this poll, not Dallas.

Uptown Houston is a hoity-toity area with great shopping, restaurants, townhomes, one of my favorite buildings (Williams Tower, formerly Transco Tower), the Waterwall, etc.

Midtown Houston is popular with the twenty-something crowd, and has some pretty good restaurants and nightlife.

I'd say both areas of Houston have been rather successful.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:53 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
L.A.'s Century City is very much like The Galleria area. I was won over by the open-air mall--something that can't be done in Dallas or Houston--and the selection of the stores. The business district (along Avenue of the Stars) was much denser than the Galleria area and the decorations (flowers and fountains along the street) were better placed and arranged.

Even though I just listed Houston's defects, Dallas can't hold a candle to these two! There's nothing equivalent in Dallas.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
L.A.'s Century City is very much like The Galleria area. I was won over by the open-air mall--something that can't be done in Dallas or Houston--and the selection of the stores. The business district (along Avenue of the Stars) was much denser than the Galleria area and the decorations (flowers and fountains along the street) were better placed and arranged.

Even though I just listed Houston's defects, Dallas can't hold a candle to these two! There's nothing equivalent in Dallas.
Firwheel town center...open air mall in the dallas area...theres also one in Cedar Hill..

Old 12-14-2009, 03:08 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Firwheel town center...open air mall in the dallas area...theres also one in Cedar Hill..
Well that's in the suburbs though. Houston has plenty of those scattered around in the burbs, but nothing like those really near the inner cores. That will change though once BLVD Place and Regent Square are complete.
http://www.regentsq.com/index.swf
BLVD Place

I'm actually a little jealous of Atlantic Station, Streets of Buckhead, and Midtown Mile in Atlanta; Houston could use something like that. However, Regent Square and BLVD Place are pretty much that.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Well ok in Dallas we have Parklane place and West village...those are really similar to Blvd. Place and Regent square...Blvd Place btw is gonna be kick ass!!!

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Uptown Houston
Midtown Dallas

That's how my vote will go. But I don't see my option on the polls lol.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I have no doubt that Victory and the West End will merge with the opening of the new Pritzker-Prize design of the Perot Natural History Museum. The new Woodall Rodgers Deck Park will essentially connect Downtown Dallas and the 70 acre Arts District to Uptown.
As I've mentioned before, I've never been to either (except the inside of DFW), so I'm not really qualified to comment on these districts. It's interesting to hear all of these opinions.

BUT, these things you mentioned really caught my eye, and they sound fantastic.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:43 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Uptown Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas