Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one is better?
Houston 14 45.16%
Dallas 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times

Advertisements

Which is better?

Midtown Dallas-Dallas is currently undergoing construction of new high-rise apartments, restaurants, and retail. The Midtown Dallas area is generally a new classification of the city, consisting of Northpark Center, SMU, White Rock Lake, The Dallas Arboretum, and new retail/high-rises, most notably along Park Lane and Central Expressway. Midtown is bordered by University Park to the west, Preston Hollow to the North, Lake Highlands/Lakewood to the East, and Uptown/City Place to the South.

Uptown Dallas- Uptown Dallas areas characterized by dense retail, restaurants, and nightlife.

Uptown Houston-The Uptown District of Houston is located 6.2 miles west of downtown and is centered along Post Oak Boulevard, Westheimer Road (Farm to Market Road 1093), and the Galleria. In its role as a satellite central business district and a center for premier shopping centers and hotels.

Midtown Houston- Midtown Houston is a district southwest of Downtown Houston, bordered by Neartown and U.S. Highway 59.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Not familiar with Midtown Dallas, I know I have been in those areas that were mentioned as being a part of it, but never came away with anything too memorable. Also, didn't even realize I was in Midtown Dallas. Must be a very new designation, not even on wikipedia yet.

Uptown Dallas somewhat reminds somewhat of Uptown Houston, except it is a little bit more pedestrian friendly. However, I was turned off by the prices of going down there and the people that go down there, simply not my kind of scene.

Midtown Houston has been progressing steadily towards an area full of apartments, condos, townhomes, bars, and restaurants. Still has somewhat of a petty vandalism and homeless problem. My experience is that it is more pedestrian friendly than Uptown Houston and is a little less expensive. One of my favorite bar/restaurant scenes in Houston.

Uptown Houston is currently it's 2nd largest employment district (soon to be passed up by TMC, might already have been) which contains the most hotels and largest shopping district. Not very pedestrian friendly, you can walk around in certain pockets of the area, hopefully the light rail that will be constructed there will change that. Food and drinks are more pricey in this area. Like, Uptown Dallas it was pricey and wasn't my scene.

Which is better? It depends on what your "scene" is. None of those places are my favorite in either city, but I like Midtown Houston the best out of all those. Just my opinion.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Not familiar with Midtown Dallas, I know I have been in those areas that were mentioned as being a part of it, but never came away with anything too memorable. Also, didn't even realize I was in Midtown Dallas. Must be a very new designation, not even on wikipedia yet.

Uptown Dallas somewhat reminds somewhat of Uptown Houston, except it is a little bit more pedestrian friendly. However, I was turned off by the prices of going down there and the people that go down there, simply not my kind of scene.

Midtown Houston has been progressing steadily towards an area full of apartments, condos, townhomes, bars, and restaurants. Still has somewhat of a petty vandalism and homeless problem. My experience is that it is more pedestrian friendly than Uptown Houston and is a little less expensive. One of my favorite bar/restaurant scenes in Houston.

Uptown Houston is currently it's 2nd largest employment district (soon to be passed up by TMC, might already have been) which contains the most hotels and largest shopping district. Not very pedestrian friendly, you can walk around in certain pockets of the area, hopefully the light rail that will be constructed there will change that. Food and drinks are more pricey in this area. Like, Uptown Dallas it was pricey and wasn't my scene.

Which is better? It depends on what your "scene" is. None of those places are my favorite in either city, but I like Midtown Houston the best out of all those. Just my opinion.
Midtown Dallas is new! I found out about it on wikipedia.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM

882 posts, read 2,244,491 times
Uptown Houston is better than Victory Park/Uptown Dallas. Although the density of VP is awesome!

Not sure about which Midtown is better, since i don't know anything about Midtown Dallas.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Which is better?

Midtown Dallas- Whatever....

Uptown Dallas- Too upscale and rich.

Uptown Houston- Uh.....crowded and congested. Good Shopping though.

Midtown Houston- Well, it's improving. I don't really visit the area much unless I'm going to CVS or Starbucks.
I don't really care for any of them. However, If I had to choose I would choose Midtown Houston just because of the fact its more laid-back and its close by where I live....

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
Uptown Houston is better than Victory Park/Uptown Dallas. Although the density of VP is awesome!

Not sure about which Midtown is better, since i don't know anything about Midtown Dallas.
VP would be awesome but they made about every single mistake they possibly could. I believe in time it will get better, but they grossly overestimated how many people could afford 400K condos and a hundred bucks a person for drinks and food, even in a good economy. Love the architecture though.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Uptown Dallas is what Midtown Houston could be. There is nothing like a Uptown Houston in Dallas.
VP has the potential to become a great asset to Dallas. But like poster above just said, they overestimated the demographic in the area. They tried to attract one group of people and they did not care for it. They tried to build a rich and upscale area from scratch and it didn't work.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:21 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,607,655 times
The whole notion of "midtown" Dallas is a joke. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything. Someone please explain to me why "midtown" Dallas is several miles north of uptown

Old 10-12-2009, 09:29 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,296,352 times
"midtown" dallas needs to be renamed to something more original and just leave it alone. The whole midtown thing is silly.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
The whole notion of "midtown" Dallas is a joke. It's a marketing gimmick more than anything. Someone please explain to me why "midtown" Dallas is several miles north of uptown
Why is Uptown Houston 6 miles away from Downtown Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas