U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM

48,507 posts, read 90,493,875 times

Advertisements

It really depends on how much green you like. There are areas close to austin that have quite a bit of green but as you get more towards san antonio it gets alot dryer and the most green is cedar trees that cause alot of people allergy problems. Best to visit before you decide.Spring if you have allergies.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 06:02 PM

52 posts, read 145,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
The Hill Country gets a bit of the taste of Autumn as well.

http://www.metronetiq.com/archives/t...%20Country.jpg

What area is that --it`s pretty.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:20 PM

8,030 posts, read 8,294,200 times
I think it would depend on specifically where in the Hill Country, or where in East Texas.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,817,911 times
I have a place in Rusk Tx (NE Texas) and my Parent's have a Place on Lake LBJ and as well as a large hunting ranch just west of that.I grew up going to those places and still do for big family ta-dos.

I chose NE Texas and the Piney Woods for serveral reasons. I love the Carolina's and this place looks very similar. It has huge green rolling hills. It's so dense with trees you can't see your neighbors. 50 acres on a hill and looks like you own 1000's. The price is right...but it's starting to go up. I love getting in on the bottom curve of things. With Texas growing so quickly now, land will be a premium everywhere. Why start at 7,000 an acre for dusty, dry and crowded land when you can start just under 2,000 for green and rolling? I love to garden and hunt. You can grow anything there.The deer are HUGE compared to most Hill Country "Dog" deer. I took down a 169 last fall on my land. Also, there are lakes EVERYWHERE within a 30 minute drive. I'm considering a boat purchase for this summer and docking at Lake Palestine.

I love the Hill Country BUT...you see your neighbors. 150 acres can't even buy you privacy. It's very touristy now, the burbs reach almost to Marble Falls and the price per acre is just place stupid. Yes, it's very liberal and hot high dollar......but do you really need first class and high dollar, seen-an-be-seen places when you go to relax from the big city?

As to the humidity in NE Texas, I haven't noticed. I'm from Houston and everything is drier than here. I do know it's about 15 degrees cooler in the Fall and Winter. And there is a HUGE breeze up on my land during the summer. Get a place on a hill..it makes all the difference. The Big BONUS: If it's been a wet summer, you get AMAZING Fall color.

Here's the view from the back of my cabin

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 04-15-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 09:33 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,330,693 times
Just a note, you have to look hard to buy at $2,000 an acre and then you need to buy what I think is a large tract, like 50 acres so 100,000 investment. I've really looked myself. You do need a good sized tract to not see many areas that are not clean and people junk up there place. Yes, the views are really nice. I've been told it looks like upstate New York. I really like the area too.

]

Old 04-15-2009, 09:47 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,817,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Just a note, you have to look hard to buy at $2,000 an acre and then you need to buy what I think is a large tract, like 50 acres so 100,000 investment. I've really looked myself. You do need a good sized tract to not see many areas that are not clean and people junk up there place. Yes, the views are really nice. I've been told it looks like upstate New York. I really like the area too.

]

I tried to buy some more parcels around me. They now want 3,000 an acre, and one guy wants 5,000. To the 5,000 dollar guy I responded that he mustn't want to sell that badly. I was lucky I guess, and got a "stress/fire" sale.The whole package would have cost me triple in "The Hill Country" and would have felt like a ranchette there.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:09 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,630,584 times
i'm sure that most people wish there was some place in Texas that resembled somewhat of a fusion of East Texas and the Hill Country. (i.e. ET trees meets HC topography)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas