U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 06:08 PM

21 posts, read 72,197 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a trip to the Austin/ San Antonio area the first week of August to look for a piece of land for retirement. We found this forum and enjoy reading all about Texas. It sounds great. We can't wait to visit. The other day my wife came across some listings in the Tyler area that looked really nice. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2006, 10:57 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,372,035 times
Tyler is beautiful and fairly progressive. My family roots are not too far away from there, I though love the Hill Country. There is more to do it seems if you lived there. Tubing in the river, schlitterbaum, San Antonio River Walk, Fredicksburg, lots of festivals, Austin has something going on as well all the time as well due to the University and the Capitol being there. Lots of history that way too. Just a nice pace of life that way. Good luck

Old 07-19-2006, 12:08 AM

21 posts, read 72,197 times
Thanks! This will be our first visit to the state and from the various posts it sounds great.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 AM

359 posts, read 1,314,095 times
East TX will be more humid, and less "centered", meaning if you need/want to go to Austin, DFW or San Antonio it will be a long drive. To be fair, DFW is not that far from the Tyler area. The Hill Country is higher in elevation so it will be less humid. I grew up on the western-most edge in Junction, and we often drove to San Antonio or Austin. It is a beautiful area. East TX does have awesome pine trees, but no hills. If you get a chance, visit Lost Maples State Park near Utopia, TX in the fall. It has some incredible scenery with, yes, maple trees that turn colors, great cliffs and streams.

Good luck with the move. I hope you enjoy our fair state.

Rick

Old 07-19-2006, 07:31 AM

3,494 posts, read 13,559,444 times
Hill Country HANDS DOWN

Old 07-19-2006, 08:00 AM

437 posts, read 2,135,609 times
Is Hill Country the name of the City? Or is there different names around that area. Maybe I should check that out also.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:23 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,742,315 times
The Hill Country is an area of central Texas north of San Antonio and west of Austin.On a map,start at Georgetown just north of Austin on I 35.Go south down I 35 to San Antonio,go west from there along Hwy 90 to Uvalde,then north up Hwy 83 to Junction,then from Junction straight back east to Georgetown.Everything within this area is the Hill Country,with it running a little on west of Uvalde into the Barksdale/Rocksprings area.Definitely worth looking into.

Old 07-19-2006, 11:43 AM

2,540 posts, read 4,801,200 times
Bound....Hill country is the area from San Antone and north to almost Waco, Austin and west about 150 miles.

BB......A bit of info on East Texas and Tyler. Tyler is awesome....great medical centers, nice parks, good schools, and clean. In fact I am looking into moving to Tyler area myself. I live about 2-2.5 hours south of there. East Texas is NOT flat.....are there hills like the Hill Country?.....no! But, the terrain is rolling. The soil is not rocky but is sandy/loam and fertile. Easy to grow things here and watering is not required most of the time as we get much more rain than the Centex region (Central Texas). Also East Texas is a bit more temperate .......a coupe of degrees cooler in summer and a couple of degrees warmer in winter.

I haven't checked realestate prices but as far as choosing a piece of land it would most likely come down to living in forest or in an area mostly brush in accompaniment with the differences I mentioned above. Don't miss Caddo Lake. It is 30,000 acres of beautiful huge cypress with winding waterways, huge oaks, and tons of wildlife. In fact ALL of East Texas has an amazing habitat of oak and pine forrests, myriads of wildlife, with down to earth good folks. I also am a bit biased living in East Texas and enjoy our diverse forest. In fact I live in the region of East Texas of The Big Thicket National Preserve. You might look that up online to get a view of my region.

Also, btw, I can be to Bush Intercontinental Airport in less than 1.5 hours and to Minute Maid Ball Park in only 15 minutes more (home of the Astros). Tyler is less than 2 hours from Dallas.

In fairness to my biases the Hill Country is a very desirable destination of tourists and home seekers both. Other than less humidity I can't think of anything that would make the area more desirable than East Texas......maybe some of my CenTex bretheren could enlighten me. It(CenTex) is much less intergrated but that wouldn't affect my decision as to where to live.

Old 07-19-2006, 01:17 PM

359 posts, read 1,314,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex
Other than less humidity I can't think of anything that would make the area more desirable than East Texas......maybe some of my CenTex bretheren could enlighten me. It(CenTex) is much less intergrated but that wouldn't affect my decision as to where to live.
Hi, BobTex. The land around east TX has its own beauty, and that is in the eye of the beholder. I've never had a desire to move there for the same reason I don't want to live in El Paso, Amarillo or Brownsville....geography. Temple is 45 miles north of Austin, just about in the middle of everything. Weather here is average, cost of living is average, population is average. Hmmm, I even drive a Ford Explorer (very average car).

Take care.

Rick

Old 07-19-2006, 01:38 PM

2,540 posts, read 4,801,200 times
Thumbs up East Tx and the Hill Country

Rick.......One of my bestest friends lives right there in Temple. Greatest guy in the world....a true hero(silver star, 2 bronze stars, and 3 purple hearts) and humble as the day is long. I love it there and it is 2nd on my list (Tyler is first) of places to move, in Texas, if I should decide to sell the farm here and move further in from the coast.

No knock on CenTex/Hill Country, I like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas