Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 12:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,409,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
[LEFT]The City of Houston parks system encompasses 38,394 acres. In addition to these city parks, residents are only a short drive from many Texas State Parks. Outdoor activities available at these parks include hiking, kayaking, biking, birding, camping and more. To find the best places for your favorite activity visit the Houston Parks and Recreation Department (HPARD).
Houston stands out among large metropolitan areas for its vast amount of vegetative cover. From the banks of bayous to stretches of prairie, the east Texas area is filled with a diverse mix of forest, aquatic and grassland habitats. Nestled in between these ecosystems is the City of Houston. Both HPARD and the Mayor's Office value these green spaces. There are several city projects and partnerships aimed at increasing city parkland and improving the quality of these spaces.

Welcome to Green Houston -- www.greenhoustontx.gov [/LEFT]
Quantity is not the same as quality... Short drive, LOL! Find me a GOOD place to mountain bike that's less than an hour drive from Cypress.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:50 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Just for fun!!

Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Hey Texas Tallest!...Fireworks huh?!?
yeah but were those fireworks part of the largest fireworks and laser light show ever? :P great pictures, though the only reason i used the Power of Houston pictures was because the people putting on the display did a great job lighting up the skyline.

but since you insist.

Last edited by TexasTallest; 05-31-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 02:04 AM

178 posts, read 376,988 times

Downtown Houston, TX - YouTube

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,391,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
yeah but were those fireworks part of the largest fireworks and laser light show ever? :P great pictures, though the only reason i used the Power of Houston pictures was because the people putting on the display did a great job lighting up the skyline.

but since you insist.
Niiiiice!!!

Old 06-01-2013, 02:32 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,794,105 times
Wow, TT, Houston skyline looks so classy in those photos.
I love the subdued lighting.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:58 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,110,705 times
Heh, all this talk of the Power of Houston shows...that was just a silly fireworks display compared to Rendezvous Houston (1986) which showcased the skyline in the most amazing display of lights, fireworks and lasers anyone has ever seen.

I traveled from East Texas to be among the 1,000,000+ lining the streets and bayous watching this spectacle. It was insane and it probably couldn't have happened in any other Texas skyline, as none would offer as dramatic a backdrop.

Lights on buildings don't do much for me. Dallas has never impressed me with its skyline. I think its buildings are lacking in the sculptural qualities of Houston's. Houston is also visually more cohesive as a skyline when viewed from virtually any angle.

On the whole, I would tend to give the nod to Dallas for street-level environment downtown, though I believe there are places in Houston that are even better than Dallas now. Skyline, though? That's a Houston thing. If skylines are your thing, Houston's is one of the most impressive skylines in the country.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,262,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
Heh, all this talk of the Power of Houston shows...that was just a silly fireworks display compared to Rendezvous Houston (1986) which showcased the skyline in the most amazing display of lights, fireworks and lasers anyone has ever seen.

I traveled from East Texas to be among the 1,000,000+ lining the streets and bayous watching this spectacle. It was insane and it probably couldn't have happened in any other Texas skyline, as none would offer as dramatic a backdrop.

Lights on buildings don't do much for me. Dallas has never impressed me with its skyline. I think its buildings are lacking in the sculptural qualities of Houston's. Houston is also visually more cohesive as a skyline when viewed from virtually any angle.

On the whole, I would tend to give the nod to Dallas for street-level environment downtown, though I believe there are places in Houston that are even better than Dallas now. Skyline, though? That's a Houston thing. If skylines are your thing, Houston's is one of the most impressive skylines in the country.
An unusual thing for you and I to disagree on. I'm simply not a fan of our skyline. The lackluster street-level presence goes without saying.

I do prefer Dallas', but it's not nearly as spectacular as the boi thinks it is.

HtownLove is going to pound me now.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:01 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,794,105 times
What the crap is going on here?
April was months ago. Why am I being punked

Dalparadise singing the glories of our skyline, Nairobi faviring the cheesy little Reno knock off to the north?

I must need a break. See you all in a month.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,243,682 times
Dallas's downtown does look better at street level when it comes to signage and lighting (IE West End entrance color spectrum under Woodall Rogers). But like dal said, there are areas in Houston's downtown that beat downtown Dallas now as far as street environment (Theater District, Market Street Main Street, Discovery Green area). Neither one really is better as far as pedestrians though, unless you add Dallas's uptown area, then they got us beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas