Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,053,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Love the pictures! However, DFW just looks weird. I guess it's the short trees.

Only someone from the deep south would say that....

Old 06-25-2013, 06:00 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,053,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Houston is pan cake flat because its coastal.

There are other cities just as flat...NYC, Chicago, & Miami.

Doesn't make them any less of a city.

I'd frankly be embarrassed to try & convince someone from outside of Texas like say California, Colorado, or Tennessee that Dallas has hills. Might as well tell those people its flat because to them it is. Now to someone from Amarillo or Lubbock, Dallas may appear somewhat "rolling" in parts of Southern Dallas County.

I am from California, and Dallas/Ft Worth is not pancake flat like Houston but is rolling terrain. California has pancake flat too, in the central valley, DFW isnt that flat. Youre right though Houston is more akin to Amarillor or Lubbock.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:34 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,243,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I am from California, and Dallas/Ft Worth is not pancake flat like Houston but is rolling terrain. California has pancake flat too, in the central valley, DFW isnt that flat. Youre right though Houston is more akin to Amarillor or Lubbock.
Well i am from Colorado and for all intensive purposes, Dallas is considered flat to me. True it may not be as flat as Houston and It does have some rolling terrain, but the little hills it does have are not much higher than a standard 2 story house. I consider them to be slopes, not hills. There are many places in Colorado Springs where I can overlook the city. I think the FW side of the metro does get pretty hilly, but the closest thing we have to Colorado Springs and the rest of Colorado in Texas is Austin.

Let's not get into the hill discussion because you guys will get laughed at. seriously

Moving on... back to topic of skylines

Old 06-25-2013, 07:20 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,533,373 times
heres a cool angle towards uptown Houston during the sunrise that i dont believe ive seen before.

its still amazing to me that this..

and this..

are the same city.
the skyline looks so much more dense and built up from the south and east sides. i guess thats what a wall of 700-1000 footers along the north west side of your skyline will do..

Old 06-25-2013, 07:44 PM

6,623 posts, read 9,842,031 times
The person in this video is actually in Oak Cliff not South Dallas. People tend to think everything South of Downtown is "South Dallas"

HD Downtown Dallas Texas Skyline As Seen From a Hill in South Dallas Trees View Hills - YouTube

Old 06-25-2013, 08:32 PM

^^^ Man... that video was the most boring and pathetic attempt to showcase the city and its stumps for hills. Makes me miss my hometown of Colorado Springs. The guy couldn't find anymore angles to show? and downtown seems almost level with where he is.

Sorry, not impressed. That might as well be an overpass in Houston.

Check out these pics Colorado Springs. Now these views are something to be impressed about.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,878,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Most people in Dfw live in the flattest part. Sw Dallas county is hidden to some people and the FW side is the hilliest.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
^^^ Man... that video was the most boring and pathetic attempt to showcase the city and its stumps for hills. Makes me miss my hometown of Colorado Springs. The guy couldn't find anymore angles to show? and downtown seems almost level with where he is.

Sorry, not impressed. That might as well be an overpass in Houston.

Check out these pics Colorado Springs. Now these views are something to be impressed about.
There's a difference between mountainous and hilly. Dallas=hill-ish, Colorado Springs=Mountainous

Old 06-25-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There's a difference between mountainous and hilly. Dallas=hill-ish, Colorado Springs=Mountainous
Exactly, and hilly is Austin. Colorado Springs has hills in many parts of the city. Austin actually can kind of run with Colorado Springs a little and its not considered a mountainous region, so that argument doesn't hold up in court.

Dallas doesn't really classify as hilly, at least nothing to go home bragging about! Austin's hills are noteworthy. That's why i told you guys not to even open that argument to save yourselves some embarrassment.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneclaw View Post
Exactly, and hilly is Austin. Colorado Springs has hills in many parts of the city. Austin actually can kind of run with Colorado Springs a little and its not considered a mountainous region, so that argument doesn't hold up in court.

Dallas doesn't really classify as hilly, at least nothing to go home bragging about! Austin's hills are noteworthy. That's why i told you guys not to even open that argument to save yourselves some embarrassment.
Have you ever been to Cedar Hill State Park in Dallas County? The hills in that Park are wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas