Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,562,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
At the end of the day, those buildings would do nothing to help the pedestrian activity if it isn't vibrant at street level. Honestly, I would rather have a decent skyline that's vibrant on street level than one that's humongous and completely dead at street level.

You never hear people talk about how vibrant Houston's Downtown area is. Yes, they may say Houston's skyline is awesome but what's that gonna do for me when I'm a visitor trying to find something to do? I know Dallas has a long way to go but it's more further ahead than Houston. We are making a lot of steps to make our Downtown area more vibrant and so far it's working.
LOL. i agree, but your argument is void considering Dallas doesnt have a vibrant downtown either. if you go to the Houston forum and read the "downtown(Marketsquare)" thread you will see downtown is becoming a vibrant place with the new residents and bars/restaurants. it will be even more active once the 3 new light rail lines open up, bringing people into downtown from nearby neighborhoods.

and those buildings may do "nothing" for pedestrian activity (which is a lie btw), but Skanskas new tower (hasnt been mentioned yet but its going where the Houston Club was) will be a huge improvement seamlessly connecting the street level with the tunnel system below. how is Dallas "more futher ahead than Houston"? Houston is making just as many steps as Dallas when it comes to making downtown more vibrant. dont let the stereotypes fool you.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:00 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,449,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LOL. i agree, but your argument is void considering Dallas doesnt have a vibrant downtown either. if you go to the Houston forum and read the "downtown(Marketsquare)" thread you will see downtown is becoming a vibrant place with the new residents and bars/restaurants. it will be even more active once the 3 new light rail lines open up, bringing people into downtown from nearby neighborhoods.

and those buildings may do "nothing" for pedestrian activity (which is a lie btw), but Skanskas new tower (hasnt been mentioned yet but its going where the Houston Club was) will be a huge improvement seamlessly connecting the street level with the tunnel system below. how is Dallas "more futher ahead than Houston"? Houston is making just as many steps as Dallas when it comes to making downtown more vibrant. dont let the stereotypes fool you.
Its more vibrant than houstons tho...Look houston is the bigger city with more buildings and Taller ones at that...But Im sorry DTDallas is more vibrant..And I know your not gonna admit to it but it just is....

Old 07-26-2013, 04:09 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:

Heck, it's much better than Houston's. Main Street actually is busy during the weekends. I highly doubt that new building will bring in any pedestrian activity. The new BG Group Place is a prime example, it's completely dead at the base. The expanding streetcar lines, the renovation and conversion of buildings, the building of new parks, etc. is helping Dallas to become vibrant and being right next to Uptown is a great advantage.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:34 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Its more vibrant than houstons tho...Look houston is the bigger city with more buildings and Taller ones at that...But Im sorry DTDallas is more vibrant..And I know your not gonna admit to it but it just is....
Quote:
Heck, it's much better than Houston's. Main Street actually is busy during the weekends. I highly doubt that new building will bring in any pedestrian activity. The new BG Group Place is a prime example, it's completely dead at the base. The expanding streetcar lines, the renovation and conversion of buildings, the building of new parks, etc. is helping Dallas to become vibrant and being right next to Uptown is a great advantage.
Spoken like folks who know nothing about what's going on in Downtown Houston. Acting like downtown Dallas is Manhattan while Houston is Lake Charles. It's funny tbh..

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Spoken like folks who know nothing about what's going on in Downtown Houston. Acting like downtown Dallas is Manhattan while Houston is Lake Charles. It's funny tbh..
Prove me wrong then.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:55 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Prove me wrong then.
You're the one who made that claim with no evidence to back it. How is Dallas so far ahead of Houston, downtown wise?

Old 07-26-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
You're the one who made that claim with no evidence to back it. How is Dallas so far ahead of Houston, downtown wise?
pedestrian activity....PERIOD.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
it may be a hair more vibrant than downtown Houston, but only because Uptown is right next door, and because of the many transit options to downtown. Once the new light rail lines open and these couple thousand residential units in downtown are finished and moved into it will be a very different scene.

Quote:
right? its like these people havent been to downtown Houston in years.. oh wait. they probably havent...

Quote:
Prove me wrong then.
heres a thread with plenty of nay sayers in it such as yourselves, who were shocked (and proved wrong) to hear about how active downtown has become.

Downtown(Marketsquare)

Old 07-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
pedestrian activity....PERIOD.
again, this coming from Dallas posters who havent been to downtown Houston in YEARS. read through all of the downtown(marketsquare) thread.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
it may be a hair more vibrant than downtown Houston, but only because Uptown is right next door, and because of the many transit options to downtown. Once the new light rail lines open and these couple thousand residential units in downtown are finished and moved into it will be a very different scene.

right? its like these people havent been to downtown Houston in years.. oh wait. they probably havent...

heres a thread with plenty of nay sayers in it such as yourselves, who were shocked (and proved wrong) to hear about how active downtown has become.

Downtown(Marketsquare)
You just agreed that DTDallas was more vibrant.....that's all I was saying...I never claimed it to be manhattan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas