Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,384,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Yeah that's Downtown Houston east of Main. Office towers don't bring activity after 5. Dallas had so much vacant office space in their financial district, that they could convert some space to residential. Houston has to deal with building new residential towers downtown because there is too much demand for office space.
which seconds my point about the vibrancy and pedestrian activity gap widening

Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Lookout Dallas...

Houston, better start working on Wedge...

Old 07-27-2013, 12:29 AM

3,231 posts, read 4,530,401 times
some quotes since i know you wont bother reading the downtown(marketsquare) thread..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
I was just wondering does anyone spend any decent amount downtown if so cn they tell me ihas this become the normal for that area.. I was waiting for my bus across the street from batanga and I realized how seriouly crowed the area was.. every bar (okra , batanga, hersay ) had a over flow of people by that I mean so many people people were standing outside of it.. and when you peered inside it looked like standing room only...even the older joints seems to have a decent crowd(flysaucer, carbar) I could not tell about new places like captianfox bad news bar, goro and gun loked decent but the train fly by to fast to be sure... So to any one who gets downtown on the regualr is this a norm now or did I just catch downtown on a good night ?

SN: SkyHouse foot print not as big as I thought it would be
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Downtown has been very active for awhile despite what you may hear from ppl outside the loop who haven't ventured in downtown in years. Even thursday nights had decent crowds way past working hours. I know because I help promote for a club downtown on thursday night and I've been in downtown more often turs-sat. because of business and seeing the pick up of activity in the streets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
There's about 5 residential projects in the works, most of them on the rail line. It's pretty exciting!

Where Downtown Has Developed, Is Developing, and Might Develop Some More » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

There's even going to be a high school for visual and performing arts. Who'd have thunk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
downtown on some random weekend doesnt even seem like houston anymore. i remember downtown in the 90s. now i am struggling trying to not hit some family pushing strollers, joggers, bikers, random people walking around like they are lost making their way to lunch, phoencia, or the park. ill venture to say some saturday mornings the streets are busy

the evenings have been pretty populated for awhile now. with the bayou center, market street restaurants open late, more and more bars, and the Sundance theater it feels very different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crono_clone View Post
I agree, I've been taken aback by the kids walking around, even at 9 p.m. on a weekend at Market Square Park! The potential is definitely there, especially once the rail lines connect to the surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,384,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
how does Houston having so much office space demand downtown that we have to build new residential buildings instead of renovating old ones prove your point about vibrancy and pedestrian activity? if anything it shows that downtown Dallas is so crappy that the corporations are moving out to the suburbs. like weve been saying.. wait till the 3 new light rail lines open over the next year and the thousands of new residential units open up and are moved into... not to mention all of the new bars and restaurants coming downtown.. downtown will be a completely different place in a couple years. its already a completely different place than it was just a few years ago. you may not of been here to see it, but its certainly changing for the better, especially compared to when you lived in Houston.
as for underground tunnels, most major cities have them. the difference between Houston and those other cities is that the other cities have subways running through them instead of walkways. were working on bringing the tunnels up to street level, just as the subway station entrances/exits do when they come up to street level. and as many people have pointed out the tunnels close after business hours, so the real street pedestrian activity happens at night, which is when most of the activities outside of work are happening anyways.
im with JKA, could we stop talking about pedestrian activity in a skyline thread? because Dallas is severely behind Houston in skyline, Dallasites are jumping to new topics that Dallas may or may not be better at. its really quite pathetic. just admit Houston is better and move on. you can start your own "fluff" threads about other stuff, like pretentiousness and colorful bright lights.
Dang.....You feel berter?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
which seconds my point about the vibrancy and pedestrian activity gap widening
how does Houston having so much office space demand downtown that we have to build new residential buildings instead of renovating old ones prove your point about vibrancy and pedestrian activity? if anything it shows that downtown Dallas is so crappy that the corporations are moving out to the suburbs. like weve been saying.. wait till the 3 new light rail lines open over the next year and the thousands of new residential units open up and are moved into... not to mention all of the new bars and restaurants coming downtown.. downtown will be a completely different place in a couple years. its already a completely different place than it was just a few years ago. you may not of been here to see it, but its certainly changing for the better, especially compared to when you lived in Houston.
as for underground tunnels, most major cities have them. the difference between Houston and those other cities is that the other cities have subways running through them instead of walkways. were working on bringing the tunnels up to street level, just as the subway station entrances/exits do when they come up to street level. and as many people have pointed out the tunnels close after business hours, so the real street pedestrian activity happens at night, which is when most of the activities outside of work are happening anyways.
im with JKA, could we stop talking about pedestrian activity in a skyline thread? because Dallas is severely behind Houston in skyline, Dallasites are jumping to new topics that Dallas may or may not be better at. its really quite pathetic. just admit Houston is better and move on. you can start your own "fluff" threads about other stuff, like pretentiousness and colorful bright lights.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dang.....You feel berter?
im not sure what berter is, but assuming you mean better.. yes, its nice to be able to explain your opinion. dont know what the "dang" was all about though. i was barely even taking a shot at Dallas with the exception of maybe one line.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Lookout Dallas...

LOL, your too funny Matt. i assume this is a building in Tyler?

Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,854,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
LOL, your too funny Matt. i assume this is a building in Tyler?
Yep...let the outlining of lights wars begin!

Tyler's will be done well before Dallas' Bank of American Plaza in November.

The whole tower will be outlined in green LED's just like BOA.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 AM

298 posts, read 412,879 times
Quote:
Lookout Dallas...

Tyler has a nice amount of high rises for a city its size.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Yep...let the outlining of lights wars begin!

Tyler's will be done before Dallas' Bank of American Plaza in November.
OUCH... take that Dallas! jk, haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas