Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 09:28 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Actually, the Southern side of Dallas has the best topography and greenery in the area. Kessler Park is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods i've been to. Southern Dallas County has very thick vegetation, even swamps and pretty decent sized hills in the SW portion. Cedar Hill is a gorgeous area.

There is a joke here that I-45 going South never developed because the freeway signs all say Houston on them.
It never developed because there was always a racial divide between North & South Dallas that still exists today except nowadays the Blacks are being pushed out of South Dallas by the Hispanics. They're headed for the more lower-middle class suburbs like Desoto, Duncanville, & Cedar Hill.

Houston has always been more open & accepting than Dallas of different races, religions, & ethnicities, partially because of the larger blue collar work force, partially because its an international city on a coast & hub of entry into the US with one of the nations largest seaports.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 11-28-2013 at 09:38 PM..

Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
It never developed because there was always a racial divide between North & South Dallas that still exists today except nowadays the Blacks are being pushed out of South Dallas by the Hispanics. They're headed for the more lower-middle class suburbs like Desoto, Duncanville, & Cedar Hill.
Actually the I-45 corridor never developed due to the ecology of that area. It's mostly wetlands and dense forests. Most of that freeway is elevated because of the wetlands. Now your statement is true about the I-35 corridor with the exception of North Oak Cliff which is going through a big change which is very exciting. It's one of the most interesting areas of Dallas. And the Kessler Park, Winnetka Heights area is very nice and doesn't really fit in with the other areas of that side of the Trinity.

Old 11-28-2013, 09:39 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
The Plano/Frisco corporate clusters are about as far out as The Woodlands. The buildings may not be as tall as the 2 tallest in The Woodlands, but there's a lot of office space there with some big company. Heck even Las Colinas has 4 Fortune 500 companies.
we are in a skyline thread arent we? i was pointing out that Dallas doesnt have 450-500' buildings 20 and 30+ miles outside of the city like the Woodlands and Memorial City. The Woodlands is almost as far from Houston as Denton is from Dallas.

Quote:
And it's funny how people conveniently leave out the fact that there's a whole other business district in Ft Worth that is in our metro area. If you're gonna throw around business districts 30 miles from Houston, you certainly can't leave out Ft Worth from the DFW metro area. And you can't pull that "it's a totally different city" card. It's a city in the same metro just as The Woodlands is a city in the same metro as Houston, plus city limits mean nothing anyway. Either metro area is just one big urban area mass. In thing within those urban areas is open for interpretation.
i knew me mentioning the Woodlands would bring a mention of Ft Worth. the difference is, Houston is in the center of the metro, so the woodlands is over 30 miles from the core. Dallas is in the lower right of the metro, so its not appropriate to compare distances from Dallas to other places if your going to speak in terms of metro. the center of DFW is probably around the DFW airport.

Quote:
Also, "spread out" doesn't mean it's a bigger city. SF is dense and feels bigger than Houston and the buildings aren't as tall and the city is much smaller. The DFW area is larger than the Houston area and has more people and the urban core around the center of Dallas is more "urban" feeling than the area surrounding downtown Houston. And you go 30 miles and you have another urban center.
depends on your definition of "bigger". yes you have two urban centers 30 miles apart. but Houston metro has urban centers 80 miles apart (the distance between The Woodlands and Galveston).

Old 11-28-2013, 09:45 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
we are in a skyline thread arent we? i was pointing out that Dallas doesnt have 450-500' buildings 20 and 30+ miles outside of the city like the Woodlands and Memorial City. The Woodlands is almost as far from Houston as Denton is from Dallas.

Well that just kind of goes with the randomness of Houston. I don't think people feel like Dallas is lacking because there's not 2 highrises that tall 30 miles away. Also, Denton is 41 miles from Dallas, the Woodlands is 29 from Houston.

i knew me mentioning the Woodlands would bring a mention of Ft Worth. the difference is, Houston is in the center of the metro, so the woodlands is over 30 miles from the core. Dallas is in the lower right of the metro, so its not appropriate to compare distances from Dallas to other places if your going to speak in terms of metro. the center of DFW is probably around the DFW airport.

The two metros are laid out differently. Doesn't matter where the center is. Dallas is the economic center of the metro whether it's the geographic center or not.

depends on your definition of "bigger". yes you have two urban centers 30 miles apart. but Houston metro has urban centers 80 miles apart (the distance between The Woodlands and Galveston).
I think you missed my point on this one. So I'll just move on.

Response in blue

Old 11-28-2013, 11:19 PM

146 posts, read 352,848 times

Hobby Overview | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

IMG_0210 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

{ Fall Colours } | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

She's Gone | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Uptown Houston Holiday Lighting 2013 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by Urbannnizer; 11-28-2013 at 11:37 PM..

Old 11-29-2013, 12:57 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
Quote:

Houston has always been more open & accepting than Dallas of different races, religions, & ethnicities, partially because of the larger blue collar work force, partially because its an international city on a coast & hub of entry into the US with one of the nations largest seaports.
I wouldn't say blacks are being pushed out. They are just fed up with the lack of development and the decaying of the area. It's a interesting thing going on in Southeast Fort Worth. A urban village anchored by Wal-Mart was built off 287 and the residence of the area are very gracious and humbled to have the development. I've always felt that the black flight is a direct result of lack of resources and amenities in there current communities. I guarantee you that the residence off 287 in Southeast Fort Worth will think twice about leaving for the burbs because they now have the resources and amenities that they lacked.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:21 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
Dallas posters are grasping at straws. Its getting pathetic, really. In one breath they're boasting about how dense their Uptown has become the next breath they're bragging about how sprawled out they are as a metro. Which is it?

The Greater Houston area has just as many, if not more of these suburban office parks than all of North Texas combined, only with much taller buildings added in. Anyone who has frequented both places will agree, Houston has the bolder skyline hands down. Its on another level when it comes to building skyscrapers. Not quite Chicago or NYC, but definitely ahead of Dallas & most other US cities.

Greenway Plaza by itself is equal to DT Fort Worth.

Greenspoint is like Las Colinas.

Energy Corridor is like Richardson's Telecom Corridor.

Med Center is as dense as Uptown Dallas only taller.

Memorial/West Houston is like Dallas' Galleria & Addison.

Dallas has nothing equivalent to Uptown Houston.

Dallas has nothing equivalent to The Woodlands.

Dallas has nothing equivalent to Galveston.
What happened to Dallas' own Med District and the rest of of the neighborhoods along Stemmons Freeway, and the ones along 75 excluding The Richardson Telecom Corridor you did mention. The Greenway Plaza/Fort Worth comparison is ridiculous. If you had the courage to acknowledge Fort Worth had Greenway Plaza beat people might take you more seriously for the rest of your comparisons. Greenway Plaza reminds me more of the Plano/Frisco business district R1070 is talking about.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Whole Foods topped by a residential high-rise in Uptown-Under/Construction-Completion Date: 2015
Houston is getting one of these combos, though i like the highrise for ours much better..

12-story apartment high rise (im still not sure where the 12 story part came from, i count at least 17 floors)
348 units
64,500 square foot of amenities
26,000 square foot retail space
44,000 square foot Whole Foods​​

Old 11-30-2013, 11:11 AM

a couple renderings of new towers planned for Houston..

downtown residential

uptown mixed use

Old 12-04-2013, 04:34 PM

its beginning to look a lot like Christmas..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas