Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2013, 05:39 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times

Advertisements

I must say I'm not impressed with the buildings lit up for the holidays in Houston. San Antonio's smaller skyline and downtown area is much more lit up for the holidays.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
I must say I'm not impressed with the buildings lit up for the holidays in Houston. San Antonio's smaller skyline and downtown area is much more lit up for the holidays.
Downtown Houston has always been lacking in the lighting department. It should come as no surprise that that doesn't change much during Christmas. Uptown however has lights on pretty much every building and lights all down the main streets. Of course the San Antonio downtown area is more lit up than downtown Houston. One is a tourist Mecca, the other is a 9-5 business district. Fortunately that's changing..
Let's see some shots of Dallas. We all know they take the cake when it comes to lighting.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
its beginning to look a lot like Christmas..

Some great shots!!! The one with the large moon though, while the moon is spectacular, the skyline is sterile and bland. Houston really needs to stop worrying about height so much and get some buildings with character, IMO.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:40 PM

176 posts, read 357,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkcapitaloftheworld View Post
I personally think Houston's skyline is by far the best in Texas, and amongst the best in America. I am interested in other peoples opinions.
Houston's skyline is the best in Texas. They don't have a tower that looks like a private part like in San Antonio.

Old 12-08-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Some great shots!!! The one with the large moon though, while the moon is spectacular, the skyline is sterile and bland. Houston really needs to stop worrying about height so much and get some buildings with character, IMO.
where are you from? 50% of the state is either from Houston or Dallas, so i assume your probably from Dallas. if thats the case its ironic you say something about Houston is bland and sterile.. what do you consider buildings with character to look like?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:55 AM

strange.. it wont let me edit my post. do these buildings not have any character? i wouldnt say Houston has any less buildings with character than Dallas does...

Old 12-08-2013, 02:56 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Have to agree ^

There's not many older buildings but even the newer ones have character. Counting smaller buildings as well.

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Houston does have interesting buildings with character. With it being quite a large downtown it only means that there are hundreds more buildings that are boring bland boxes which overpowers the few nice ones.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:10 PM

146 posts, read 352,848 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
Convention center hotel funded and scheduled to break ground in 2014

Plans to build a $335 million convention center hotel downtown moved a step forward today with the announcement that the developer has finalized its agreement with Marriott International to manage the hotel and that it has secured funding to construct the property.

Houston-based Rida Development, in partnership with Ares Management, said financing for the 1,000-room hotel will come from a six-bank consortium led by Wells Fargo and BBVA Compass. The other banks include CIT Bank, MidFirst Bank, Frost Bank, and PNC.

Construction is expected to start on April 11, and the property — the Houston Marriott Marquis – is projected to open in the summer of 2016 just west of the George R. Brown Convention Center near Discovery Green.

The project is expected to add more than 1,800 construction jobs and 700 permanent jobs to Houston’s hospitality industry, the developer said.

“Rida is focused on building a smart, efficient convention hotel to be managed by Marriott International,” president Ira Mitzner said in a statement. “Our company is looking forward to providing local Houstonians and businesses with jobs that will be created as a result of this project.”

Link: Convention center hotel funded and scheduled to break ground in 2014 - Prime Property

Old 12-08-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Houston does have interesting buildings with character. With it being quite a large downtown it only means that there are hundreds more buildings that are boring bland boxes which overpowers the few nice ones.
thats quite a bit of an exaggeration, dont you think? sure Houston has over 100 more highrises than Dallas, but since we have no zoning and highrises sprouting up all over the city our number of buildings downtown is probably pretty comparable to Dallas' downtown. remember, our "large" downtown is less than half a square mile bigger. and what about all those parking lots taking up space in downtown Houston? your statement about hundreds more bland boring boxes overpowering the few nice ones is way off base.

lets count the bland boring boxes again..

downtown Dallas

downtown Houston

Last edited by TexasTallest; 12-08-2013 at 08:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas