Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanglo Phucwell View Post
Now.... maybe this is something better suited for another "city-based" forum discussion, but this, to me is Dallas' main issue (-which, serves as Houston's primary city-to-city comparison advantage): Dallas doesn't seem to know if it would rather be an "mega-urban-zone" or a "haven-of-suburban-utopia" (-although I'm inclined to believe that the answer is the latter, and not the former). Obviously, Houston made it's decision a longgggg time ago and stuck by it's guns- hence- it's sprawling urban core, which, includes all of the highrise/skyline areas. Houston WANTS you to know that YOU-ARE-IN-A-BIG-CITY when you are there. It's as if, Dallas wants you to know- but, doesn't want you to focus on it too much lol (-hence, it's metro population and metro size advantage over Houston). Dallas either doesn't think -or- doesn't know that it can have it's cake and eat it too. Houston, on the other hand, figures that it doesn't matter how many large cities/suburbs it has an ability to lay claim to, so long as "Houston" stands tall.

In this way, Dallas is more like "L.A." and Houston is kinda like Chicago. In L.A., you go a few blocks and you're in a completely different municipality while maintaining the identity of still being in "L.A.". That's very much what Dallas does, but on a smaller scale. When you think of Houston's suburbs, you think of Sugarland, The Woodlands, Missouri City, maybe, Katy, maybe, Humble???
When you think: "Dallas", you think about: Plano, Richardson, Garland, Addison, Carrollton, Mesquite, Rowlett, Lancaster, Duncanville, Desoto, University/Park City(s), Irving and even- Denton (-and now, Arlington). I didn't mention Farmer's Branch because, although it sits atop Northwest Dallas, nobody really thinks about it's existence, lol. But, that's part of the difference and the charm of the Dallas area, and it's also what continues to draw so
many people to move there. (Not to mention that it is located closer to the mid-south and mid-west than Houston is.
I love the post!!!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Paradox

I think Houston has a more bold and powerful skyline that makes you look at in it's entirety. While Dallas has more individual buildings that compete with each other for your eye.

Paradox

Even outside of it's skyline Houston just feels bigger through its buildings. Notice how the Med Center isn't even pictured here.
This is the reason I love the Dallas skyline!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:53 PM

21 posts, read 72,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
This is the reason I love the Dallas skyline!
Yeah, I believe the difference is: Houston focused on "bigger" and "more", while, Dallas focused on "creative" and "unique". Both cities' skylines exemplify an "illusory" play-on-visuals: Houston went for "tall & strong", Dallas went for "tall-enough, refreshing & different". Perhaps, the economic bust of the 80's halted Dallas' skyline development, but, even after the smoke cleared and the dust settled, they still didn't feel pressed to "stretch-out" the skyline. As you can see, in recent years, they simply focused on making what they already had stand out more (-while growing the uptown skyline, which- I must say, has been well-planned with impressive results to show).

This should serve as no ammunition to down-play H-town's skyline prominence. To suggest that Houston's skyline(s) are unremarkable (when compared to Dallas') is outright incredulous. However, Dallas, by NO means, is to be slept on. Houston is just a (rightfully) proud city in an overly-proud state. Dallas is just doing it's own thing in the midst of it.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Dallas doesn't seem to know if it would rather be an "mega-urban-zone" or a "haven-of-suburban-utopia" (-although I'm inclined to believe that the answer is the latter, and not the former). Obviously, Houston made it's decision a longgggg time ago and stuck by it's guns- hence- it's sprawling urban core, which, includes all of the highrise/skyline areas. Houston WANTS you to know that YOU-ARE-IN-A-BIG-CITY when you are there. It's as if, Dallas wants you to know- but, doesn't want you to focus on it too much lol (-hence, it's metro population and metro size advantage over Houston).
It's metro size and population is bigger because of Ft Worth. Ft. Worth is a major city on itself and even has suburbs.

Quote:
Dallas either doesn't think -or- doesn't know that it can have it's cake and eat it too. Houston, on the other hand, figures that it doesn't matter how many large cities/suburbs it has an ability to lay claim to, so long as "Houston" stands tall.
Yes because Houston doesn't want to be held hostage by its suburbs like Dallas. More on that in a minute.

Quote:
When you think of Houston's suburbs, you think of Sugarland, The Woodlands, Missouri City, maybe, Katy, maybe, Humble???
How about Kingwood, Pearland, Clear Lake, Spring, and Friendswood? Did you know that Cypress area of Houston has +750,000 people in its extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ), and could swell to +1 million if it decided to start picking up its neighborhoods. But the difference is that these are all commuter suburbs that rely on Houston.

Quote:
When you think: "Dallas", you think about: Plano, Richardson, Garland, Addison, Carrollton, Mesquite, Rowlett, Lancaster, Duncanville, Desoto, University/Park City(s), Irving and even- Denton (-and now, Arlington). I didn't mention Farmer's Branch because, although it sits atop Northwest Dallas, nobody really thinks about it's existence, lol.
Yes DFW is a metro of many different cities competing with each for jobs and recognition.

Quote:
But, that's part of the difference and the charm of the Dallas area, and it's also what continues to draw so many people to move there. (Not to mention that it is located closer to the mid-south and mid-west than Houston is.
It's charm is that it is a city made up of smaller cities with really no central identity? In all seriousness both cities are equally as charming and share more similarities than differences.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:02 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
Yeah, I believe the difference is: Houston focused on "bigger" and "more", while, Dallas focused on "creative" and "unique". Both cities' skylines exemplify an "illusory" play-on-visuals: Houston went for "tall & strong", Dallas went for "tall-enough, refreshing & different". Perhaps, the economic bust of the 80's halted Dallas' skyline development, but, even after the smoke cleared and the dust settled, they still didn't feel pressed to "stretch-out" the skyline. As you can see, in recent years, they simply focused on making what they already had stand out more (-while growing the uptown skyline, which- I must say, has been well-planned with impressive results to show).
One of the problems is that because of Houston's height and amount of buildings, many of the its gems get masked. Don't think Houston's skyline is all about power and height.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:23 AM

21 posts, read 72,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It's charm is that it is a city made up of smaller cities with really no central identity? In all seriousness both cities are equally as charming and share more similarities than differences.
Ahhhh, and it's good that you have stated this. Why? Because you are correct, but I don't believe most people recognize this- and, this is partly why some conscientious Houstonians make extra effort to demonstrate how and why Houston is "bigger/better" in certain categories. The truth is: the comparisons are not very consequential. EVERYBODY Knows that Dallas significantly holds it's own regardless of a few extra buildings at a few extra heights in a few extra areas (-in reference to Houston). This plays right into my overall point to begin with. The cities ARE similar: Loop(s)-based layouts, multiple skylines, large expressways, considerable congestion, and prideful character.

As far as Dallas having/lacking charm due to it's urban/suburban identification demonstration... almost ANY opinion on that is subjective in nature because the opinion is inherrently based on what's important to the observer. Houston might have some "hidden gems", but Dallas' gems AREN'T 'hidden'- and, if anything, that's a DIFFERENCE. That very difference is, if anything, what differentiates the 2 cities, and- it's also why Dallas is set-up in a way to not even have to truly concern itself with competing with Houston on any superficial level (i.e.: skylines, urban core, urban population, etc.)

If, someone familiar with Houston is visiting Dallas and thinks to themself, "Gee, this sure isn't a Houston", then, they are obviously missing the point- and, thusly, missing out. Some people move to the Dallas-area with the sole purpose in mind to live in a preferred suburb- and, Dallas knows this and rolls with it. Jobs (-corporate-based) are concentrated in Addison, Richardson, Plano, Irving- and, downtown Dallas. Everybody knows and accepts this, as it allows the metro to function in the cohesive manner in which it does. At the end of the day, EVERYBODY from various communities/burbs end up at the same places of recreation, and, it's intrisically expected by everyone for that to be the case (think: "I'm from Manhattan" - "I'm from Long Island" -but, we're both hanging out in "Brooklyn"). Similar difference. I'm not saying that Houston's outer limits/suburbia doesn't grant the same type of expectation. It's just that Dallas ensures and expects it. (There's almost nothing more "decision-inducing" than meeting a person-of-interest at a club- lets say- in Addison, that happens to live in Carrollton, while you live in Desoto or somewhere, lol. The distance, route, potential traffic and drive time to see them is gonna potentially be a turn-off in and of itself.)

Last edited by Hanglo Phucwell; 05-23-2010 at 03:38 AM..

Old 10-02-2011, 02:07 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,693,806 times
Dallas Skyline just looks really weird to me and like A bunch of Buildings from different places. Houston however has a Specific look and is alot better put together architecture wise. Both great skylines, but I have to give it to my home town..Houston.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:28 PM

6,690 posts, read 9,935,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Dallas Skyline just looks really weird to me and like A bunch of Buildings from different places. Houston however has a Specific look and is alot better put together architecture wise. Both great skylines, but I have to give it to my home town..Houston.
There's buildings from the 1920s-1980s in the Dallas skyline. So of course the skyline is gonna look weird.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:56 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
There's buildings from the 1920s-1980s in the Dallas skyline. So of course the skyline is gonna look weird.
so does every other city

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM

343 posts, read 804,883 times
Dallas skyline looks even more beautiful now with the Chase Tower illuminated in blue. Saw it for the first time last night and it looks great!

I agree with many of the past sentiments. I really like both of the skylines. Dallas' is more unique to me and more individual buildings stand out, but Houston's asserts more power due to the height and size of its buildings.
Dallas is better at night, Houston by day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas