Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2012, 05:34 PM

410 posts, read 341,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaSunking View Post
Ah but what do you think about the people that revive threads of Houston Vs. Dallas aren't they just as bad as the people who start these kinds of threads? aren't those people just as funny?

And just to answer the thread you so nicely revived I prefer Houston's skyline its just a lot bigger to me so visually it really gets you.
Bigger isn't better, especially when it's all big boxes like Houston. Sorry, that's my take on it.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM

Seems to me the people who specialize in aesthetics prefer to highlight the Dallas downtown in this famous television show. Show me ONE portrayal of Houston's downtown in the film media that can match it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHZL...e_gdata_player

Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM

The Dallas skyline is CELEBRATED in that intro. Show me where the Houston skyline is celebrated in such a manner.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM

39 posts, read 49,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libsk View Post
Bigger isn't better, especially when it's all big boxes like Houston. Sorry, that's my take on it.
Well like i said its just visually more impactful to me because of the sheer size of the skyline. I don't think bigger = better but Dallas architecture isn't strong enough to beat the size of Houston add that to the fact that Houston dose have architecture in downtown and my vote goes to Houston. Just my opinion.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:24 PM

298 posts, read 416,436 times
I honestly don't know why you guys are arguing so much over this. As a person from Dallas, I will say that Houston has a better skyline that Dallas. But Dallas really isn't that far from Houston.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:00 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,891,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
I honestly don't know why you guys are arguing so much over this. As a person from Dallas, I will say that Houston has a better skyline that Dallas. But Dallas really isn't that far from Houston.
There's really no use in asking or wondering....

Old 07-27-2012, 07:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,447,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Because thats the purpose of this thread....read the title and tell us what we should be discussing.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
The Republic National Bank Building (now Gables Republic Tower or Republic Tower I) was probably the brightest building Dallas ever had. The 452 ft building had a 150 ft tower and beacon. The tower was cover in neon lights, the lights pulsated and flashed as the beacon turned on the top of the tower. The lights could be seen from 120 miles away. The building towered over many buildings, including the Magnolia Building and the Mercantile Bank building. The pilots from Love Field complained about the beacon and it was turned off, years later people complained about the lights on the tower and it was turned off as well. Now, the tower is floodlit. I'm sure those lights were a sight to see.
BS

Williams Tower's 7,000 watt beacon atop a 901' tower is only visible from 30-40 miles away on a clear night.

There is no way Dallas' building was visible from Kilgore, Tx. Its not mathematically possible.

Terrell, Tx. maybe.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,055,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
BS

Williams Tower's 7,000 watt beacon atop a 901' tower is only visible from 30-40 miles away on a clear night.

There is no way Dallas' building was visible from Kilgore, Tx. Its not mathematically possible.

Terrell, Tx. maybe.
The intensity of light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the light source. To be able to see a light from three times as far, it would need to be nine times as luminescent. The math isn't only possible, it's so easy a 6th grader could do it.

As for whether it's true or not, that's a different story and it seems unlikely, but your insistence that it can't be brighter than William's Tower is going to need something to back it up.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:37 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
The intensity of light is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the light source. To be able to see a light from three times as far, it would need to be nine times as luminescent. The math isn't only possible, it's so easy a 6th grader could do it.

As for whether it's true or not, that's a different story and it seems unlikely, but your insistence that it can't be brighter than William's Tower is going to need something to back it up.
At 30-40 miles away the beacon on a 600' tall structure would be like looking at a faint star or pin head off in the distance.

120 miles away is not possible, even a seasoned sailor would tell you that.

How far away do you think light houses are visible over the open waters? Certainly not 120 miles away because of the curvature of the Earth. You're absolutely right, even a 6th grader should know that!

Dallasboi often has some good stuff he contributes to the forums, but this tall tale of Republic Plaza (no pun intended) is so far fetched its unreal.

Even the very top of Sears Tower's antennas standing at 1,729' up in the air are barely visible from across Lake Michigan (~60 miles?) & thats on a perfectly clear day.

Some of you Dallasites truly are delusional.

Dallas' skyline is BARELY visible from Fort Worth some 30 miles away & that's up on a high overpass.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-28-2012 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas