Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 08:42 PM

563 posts, read 909,964 times

Advertisements

I found a cool picture on the skyscrapper forum that I don't think I have seen before.

Houston Skyline in movies and on TV? - SkyscraperCity

(flickr OneEighteen)

Old 07-28-2012, 08:55 PM

To the earlier argument about the Republic Tower that dallasboi and Dallaz stated I found this:

Republic National Bank Building - Historic Downtown Dallas Residences - Dallas Public Library

I don't know if I believe it because I've been reading about 100 ft. lighthouses only being visible from about 12 miles out. I know a humans line of sight is about 3 miles.

I doubt seriously that the actual beacon could be seen from that far out and pretty much feel the same about any glow.

The pilot in this article talks about being able to see 230 miles out at an altitude of 35,000 ft. She also states that from a height of 330 feet the visibility is about 22 miles. I think we should all write the owners of the building and ask them to create the same situation with the tower as in the 50's so we can see for ourselves, lol.

USATODAY.com - A view from the top: How far can you see on a clear day?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:09 PM

32 posts, read 41,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
Pretty convenient given that was an example to prove my point.

When I look at Seattle's skyline I think "nice." When I look at Houston's I think "Wow!" This is the same way I feel when I look at NY's or Chicago's. Dallas is somewhere in between.

I try to be objective but this statement made me laugh. Houston is nowhere near the spectrum of a NYC or Chicago. I would bet you have never been to those cities. Ever looked at Manhattan coming in from New Jersey on the Sky Bridge? Or coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel and thinking "my God this is a city." So please stop embarrassing yourself. Houston and Dallas are very comparable.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni_Fress View Post
I try to be objective but this statement made me laugh. Houston is nowhere near the spectrum of a NYC or Chicago. I would bet you have never been to those cities. Ever looked at Manhattan coming in from New Jersey on the Sky Bridge? Or coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel and thinking "my God this is a city." So please stop embarrassing yourself. Houston and Dallas are very comparable.
I was taking about the sheer height of the buildings. I never said they were on the same level in number and density. I said they all three make me say "Wow!"

When you are used to Houston, Dallas just seems smaller and unimpressive. And yes, size matters. This is why I put Dallas in the "nice" category. When I look at Dallas I think of that movie "Honey, I shrunk the kids," skyscrapper edition.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I was taking about the sheer height of the buildings. I never said they were on the same level in number and density. I said they all three make me say "Wow!"

When you are used to Houston, Dallas just seems smaller and unimpressive. And yes, size matters. This is why I put Dallas in the "nice" category. When I look at Dallas I think of that movie "Honey, I shrunk the kids," skyscrapper edition.
Dude, give it up. Who are you trying to convince? Have you been to Dallas. Ever drive up I-45 into DTD. Houston has two, count em two moe taller buildings than Dallas. I know you love your city but it's ok...and BTW Seattle has one of the best skylines in the USA. You need to travel more.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Dude, give it up. Who are you trying to convince? Have you been to Dallas. Ever drive up I-45 into DTD. Houston has two, count em two moe taller buildings than Dallas. I know you love your city but it's ok...and BTW Seattle has one of the best skylines in the USA. You need to travel more.
You are the one that's been trying to convince and pestering people. I made a statement in my last post that none of us are going to convince anybody else who has seen both cities in person and have formed an opinion.

I grew up in both cities because I have parents in both. I have witnessed both cities grow in person.

Houston's third tallest building is the same height as Dallas' tallest (921-901). Houston's tallest is almost 100 feet taller than Dallas'. Houston also has 7 buildings over 700 feet while Dallas only has 3. Houston also has 30 buildings over 500 feet while Dallas only has 18. I know you love your city but you need to wake up and get out more.

For the sixth time someone has had to tell you - you can keep your opinion about Seattle (or any other city) and I will keep mine.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
You are the one that's been trying to convince and pestering people. I made a statement in my last post that none of us are going to convince anybody else who has seen both cities in person and have formed an opinion.

I grew up in both cities because I have parents in both. I have witnessed both cities grow in person.

Houston's third tallest building is the same height as Dallas' tallest (921-901). Houston's tallest is almost 100 feet taller than Dallas'. Houston also has 7 buildings over 700 feet while Dallas only has 3. Houston also has 30 buildings over 500 feet while Dallas only has 18. I know you love your city but you need to wake up and get out more.

For the sixth time someone has had to tell you - you can keep your opinion about Seattle (or any other city) and I will keep mine.

LOL...Go Houston...Best skyline in the world...

Old 07-28-2012, 10:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
I don't think the intent of the tv show in the 80's was to glamorize the Dallas skyline but rather show the area in which the show took place. At that time Dallas' skyline looked pretty pathetic when compared to the bigger cities. I think the beginning shot of it as well as the rest of the intro was to show how isolated and "country" the area was.

The only reason they kept it in 2012 was to keep it the same as the old series in hopes of bringing in the same viewers who used to worship the show and keep it true to the original. I think they could have flown a helicopter around a Texas pasture and zoomed in on a cow patty and the viewership would have remained the same.

Like the person above you said, you are not going to change anybody's mind who has seen both skylines in person and know the one they like. Houston's and Dallas' skyline look better than Seattle's but you see it plastered on movies, tv, etc. 100 times more than either Texas city. So I think your argument is a pretty bad one.
LOL @ people saying the TV show DALLAS was to glamorize its skyline.

The way they made it look in the opening scenes, Dallas is this uber rich hick town with a glassy big city wanna be skyline in the middle of a cow pasture & black gold spurting up all around it with tractors plowing over the parched North Texas praires.

Sorta Little House On The Prairie meets Urban Cowboy.

I wouldn't be bragging about that if I was a Dallasite.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
If all of Houston's buildings & skylines were in one concentrated area then yes it would be comparable to Chicago & NYC...a miniature version mind you.

Houston already has the 3rd tallest US skyline & is one of the tallest in the world.

4 of its buildings are right at, or very close to "super tall" status.

Dallas has 0 super talls & probably won't ever have one. The office vacancy rate in DT Dallas is very high when compared to Houston's, which is buildings more office towers downtown all the time.

Old 07-28-2012, 11:07 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,446,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
LOL @ people saying the TV show DALLAS was to glamorize its skyline.

The way they made it look in the opening scenes, Dallas is this uber rich hick town with a glassy big city wanna be skyline in the middle of a cow pasture & black gold spurting up all around it with tractors plowing over the parched North Texas praires.

Sorta Little House On The Prairie meets Urban Cowboy.

I wouldn't be bragging about that if I was a Dallasite.
But even YOU know thats not how it is in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas