Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Houston's uptown skyline (our second downtown) is just as tall as Dallas' downtown skyline, thanks!
Dallas office environmen in Addison is equally strong.

Quote:
Dallas' downtown height cannot compare to Houston's downtown height.
And how is that of any strategic importance?

Quote:
Converting commercial skyscrapers into residental buildings is nothing to be proud of.
On the contrary. It signals an interest in the people to want to live there. If Houston does not have that demand, it is an uncomplimentary indicator of central Houston.

Quote:
This is a stark economic indicator. This tells me that downtown Dallas does not meet the needs of most businesses.
No. it means that there are better office environments being built to the north of the existing 1970ish clusters.

Quote:
Houston has plenty of development on the books in its downtown because vacancy rates are rediculously low.
Dallas has plenty of development on the books for Uptown because its urban environment is pretty favorable.

Quote:
Dallas needs to start offering serious incentives to get businesses back into downtown Dallas and like yesterday! While residental growth is OK in downtown, it REALLY needs commercial growth more than anything else. Commerical growth helps get new highrises built.
No, Dallas is doing just fine by adding new 20-30 floor office buildings in Uptown, just north of Woodall Rogers.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Dallas's skyline is just like a little girl trying to walk in Big mama's shoes.

Well Dallas, you got big shoes to fill. Hope you are eating your Wheaties.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM

392 posts, read 633,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Dallas's skyline is just like a little girl trying to walk in Big mama's shoes.

Well Dallas, you got big shoes to fill. Hope you are eating your Wheaties.
Frustrating, isn't it?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:14 PM

4,434 posts, read 5,347,238 times
Houston!

Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM

391 posts, read 922,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Dallas office environmen in Addison is equally strong.

And how is that of any strategic importance?

On the contrary. It signals an interest in the people to want to live there. If Houston does not have that demand, it is an uncomplimentary indicator of central Houston.

No. it means that there are better office environments being built to the north of the existing 1970ish clusters.

Dallas has plenty of development on the books for Uptown because its urban environment is pretty favorable.

No, Dallas is doing just fine by adding new 20-30 floor office buildings in Uptown, just north of Woodall Rogers.
Guy, I am talking about the CITY of Houston vs the CITY of Dallas. Addison is not Dallas. Addison doesn't collect taxes for Dallas. So commercial developments in Addison help the city of Dallas by NOTHING!

Houston's uptown skyline is completely separate from Houston's downtown skyline with several 30-40 story buildings and a 64-story building. Dallas' uptown is literally next door to Dallas' downtown with very short buildings.

Houston's skyline height make a big difference. It shows Houston has significantly more office space than Dallas. Height is measured by adding all the height to every skyscraper in each city together to get a grand total. Houston ranks 33rd tallest in the world with 359 buildings and Dallas was at 51st with only 246. Houston has 359 buildings at 5.8% vacancy while Dallas has only 246 with over 25% vacancy! OUCH!!! This says something. That means there are literally over a quarter of all buildings in Dallas vacant/unleased. If Dallas is building skyscrapers in uptown, that means something is seriously wrong with downtown Dallas. Why is there a mass evacuation of downtown Dallas businesses?... So who has the better downtown, HOUSTON!!

Houston adds 20-30 story buildings all over the CITY of Houston. We do not have to add in our zillion suburbs to that mix.

I hate to say this because it sounds like I am bragging, but I just love Houston!! =)

Old 08-09-2012, 03:22 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,884 times
Default What federal demographers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanite View Post
Face it, Houston fanatics, your metro is second to DFW. The Federal demographers have made a final determination on that fact, however upsetting it may be for you. Houston is second to DFW. Get a life.
Are you just saying this or do you have some kind of evidence?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:08 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,451,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyAusmus View Post
Guy, I am talking about the CITY of Houston vs the CITY of Dallas. Addison is not Dallas. Addison doesn't collect taxes for Dallas. So commercial developments in Addison help the city of Dallas by NOTHING!

Houston's uptown skyline is completely separate from Houston's downtown skyline with several 30-40 story buildings and a 64-story building. Dallas' uptown is literally next door to Dallas' downtown with very short buildings.

Houston's skyline height make a big difference. It shows Houston has significantly more office space than Dallas. Height is measured by adding all the height to every skyscraper in each city together to get a grand total. Houston ranks 33rd tallest in the world with 359 buildings and Dallas was at 51st with only 246. Houston has 359 buildings at 5.8% vacancy while Dallas has only 246 with over 25% vacancy! OUCH!!! This says something. That means there are literally over a quarter of all buildings in Dallas vacant/unleased. If Dallas is building skyscrapers in uptown, that means something is seriously wrong with downtown Dallas. Why is there a mass evacuation of downtown Dallas businesses?... So who has the better downtown, HOUSTON!!

Houston adds 20-30 story buildings all over the CITY of Houston. We do not have to add in our zillion suburbs to that mix.

I hate to say this because it sounds like I am bragging, but I just love Houston!! =)
To me suburbs are not a bad thing...Houston whishes its suburbs were like ours...but since theyre not..they try and write ours off as a bad thing.Why do Houstonians bragg about the Woodlands if suburbs dont mean anything??

Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 PM

I have never heard any Houstonian wish for burbs like Dallas.

You kidding me? Too many cities in Dallas screaming for attention. Too many burbs distracting the central city for resources.
That is why Houston has about ten skylines in the city and only about 2 outside.

Its the opposite for Dallas. They have about 10 outside and only two inside.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
That's why Dallas is so small. Too many burbs sucking all the life out of it.

Old 08-09-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That's why Dallas is so small. Too many burbs sucking all the life out of it.
I have never seen so much competition before in one metro.

ATL has a lot of in fighting among cities, but not a spread as in DFW. The differences in ATL is more among the counties with ATL being the clear center of gravity in the metro. Hard to find a center of gravity in DFW.

Boston is spread out too, but again Boston is the center of the universe there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas