U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 01:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,879 times

Advertisements

we are trying to get info on lakes and lake front living in east texas. the lake is important to have good fishing, not to crazy with boaters, but fun to explore by boat. we want to buy a nice house on a lake, private, pref with a boathouse. information about the lakes would be very helpful. thanks in advance. looking within 50 miles radius of tyler.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:27 PM

10,165 posts, read 18,253,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2851 View Post
we are trying to get info on lakes and lake front living in east texas. the lake is important to have good fishing, not to crazy with boaters, but fun to explore by boat. we want to buy a nice house on a lake, private, pref with a boathouse. information about the lakes would be very helpful. thanks in advance. looking within 50 miles radius of tyler.
It is a bit further than 50 miles from Tyler, but Caddo Lake sounds like what you are looking for. That lake is beyond belief in terms of scenery, peace and quiet, and a community that takes care of its own.

Here are a couple of blurbs from paraphrased memory:

"Once you've set eyes on Caddo Lake, it is hard not to become emotional about it one way or another. No other lake in Texas even remotely resembles it. Gaze upon its dark waters and century old cypress trees dripping spanish moss and you will either scream and turn around and never come back. Or else become hooked for life.."

"Folks don't come to Caddo Lake to party...they come to take in its natural beauty and because it is, quite simply, the most beautiful lake in Texas. You can wander along its paths and really believe you are in the remotest part of the universe.."

So check it out! This is a place for those who love it and want to take care of it.

We plan to retire out there. And over all these years I have sorta become part of that "sub-culture". That is to say, love the lake to the point that I resent "outsiders" who want to commercialize it.

Caddo Lake is what it is. Sublime and all things associated!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:55 PM

261 posts, read 571,921 times
Check out Lake Cherokee in Gregg County. It is a private lake owned by its shareholders(homeowners). Fishing is good, with large mouth bass, crappie, bream, and catfish found there. There is a great community atmosphere. It is a little less than 50 miles from Tyler.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:39 PM

4 posts, read 11,879 times
thanks for the info. been in az for many years longing to get back home to texas. will be there soon, need more help with lakes and town info,thanks.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:52 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,252,285 times
You are not allowed to build boat houses on many of the better lakes (Caddo included). You might want to expand you range a bit and look at Lake O the Pines, Caddo, Bob Sandlin, etc. There is also a new lake (Columbia?/Eastex?) being constructed a bit south of the Tyler area. In all honesty, I would wait until at least next month to look around the lakes in that area. It is really a mess. On the other hand, it may be a good time to look. Some of the lakes are at all time highs right now and have flooded a number of properties or accesses to properties. I've only seen Lake O the Pines up that high (abt 16 ft) once in my lifetime (2001) though I'm told it happened once before I was born. I was up there this weekend and a lot of the roads around the lake are closed where there are creek crossings. Caddo (same watershed) is also seriously flooded right now. All the boat launches are closed and docks are underwater. I've heard Wright Patman was about 20 ft high, it may have come down a bit in the last week. Generally anything along the Trinity, Sabine, Neches, and Red Rivers and many of the smaller creeks like Big and Little Cypress (Caddo and Lake O the Pines) are pretty high. It will take a while to work all that water out and downstream.

Last edited by Poltracker; 11-02-2009 at 06:25 AM..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:57 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,807,693 times
Stay away from Caddo. It is being overtaken by Giant Salvinia, a noxious aquatic weed from Asia that destroys all water life ... coverage doubles in size every 10 days. TPWD is at a loss on how to control it.

Not in your parmeters But I'd say Toledo Bend is ideal. Mid lake is probably 120 miles from Tyler but the lake is awesome in all other categories. It is turning out double digit bass regularly and has a very active lakew association that stocks Florida bass yearly. There is very little "pleasure" boating on the lake (skiing and jetskis). Crappie fishing is phenominal and the whitebass run on the river above the lake is legendary every spring. Lake levels are relatively stable now also!

I'd also venture that you'd get a good bang for your buck on property!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:09 AM

10,165 posts, read 18,253,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Stay away from Caddo. It is being overtaken by Giant Salvinia, a noxious aquatic weed from Asia that destroys all water life ... coverage doubles in size every 10 days. TPWD is at a loss on how to control it.
You are correct on that Bob. I didnt really take that aspect into consideration. Last time we were out there and talking to locals, I gathered that they are holding their own with it, but just barely. Any new info you might have on it would be appreciated, ol' friend!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 17,252,285 times
That weed is horrible! Invasive species are a pet peeve of mine. I sure hope some control can be found...and soon.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 AM

9,274 posts, read 24,817,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltracker View Post
You are not allowed to build boat houses on many of the better lakes (Caddo included). You might want to expand you range a bit and look at Lake O the Pines, Caddo, Bob Sandlin, etc. There is also a new lake (Columbia?/Eastex?) being constructed a bit south of the Tyler area. In all honesty, I would wait until at least next month to look around the lakes in that area. It is really a mess. On the other hand, it may be a good time to look. Some of the lakes are at all time highs right now and have flooded a number of properties or accesses to properties. I've only seen Lake O the Pines up that high (abt 16 ft) once in my lifetime (2001) though I'm told it happened once before I was born. I was up there this weekend and a lot of the roads around the lake are closed where there are creek crossings. Caddo (same watershed) is also seriously flooded right now. All the boat launches are closed and docks are underwater. I've heard Wright Patman was about 20 ft high, it may have come down a bit in the last week. Generally anything along the Trinity, Sabine, Neches, and Red Rivers and many of the smaller creeks like Big and Little Cypress (Caddo and Lake O the Pines) are pretty high. It will take a while to work all that water out and downstream.
Wow, I had no idea they had actually started Lake Columbia. this is great. Any ETA on completion? I can't wait to get my boat in there. I like Lake Palestine a lot, but I couldn't boat for several weeks this summer with the drought.. and it's about a 30 minute haul. Lake Columbia would be about 15 minutes max.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:39 AM

2,546 posts, read 4,807,693 times

YouTube - Invasive Plants at Caddo Lake - Texas Parks and Wildlife [Official]

I messed up by saying the weed was from Asia. It is from S. America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: