Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,620 times

Advertisements

I have just accepted an offer to relocate to Brownsville, Texas. We will be moving sometime in the next 5 months. I am originally from Texas so am somewhat familiar with the area. Also I have visited within the last month and have friends who live there.

Problem is - my son will be in 2nd grade when we move. I have looked online at the school districts and their ratings but it is so hard to get a real feel for the schools from that. From what I have seen it looks like Los Fresnos might have some good schools. Otherwise we would be looking at private schools in the Brownsville area. Any suggestions on schools (both public and private)?

The job I have accepted has a two year term that maybe extended. Because of that we don't want to buy a house - are there any good rentals around? It looks like the real estate market is pretty stagnant and a lot of houses are sitting on the market. Has anyone had luck renting a decent house in Los Fresnos?

Thanks for any constructive information you can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 06:39 PM

11 posts, read 43,269 times
Schools: Los Fresnos CISD for public schools, avoid Brownsville ISD (poorly run, bad kids). I think the 2nd grade private is called St. Marys that is before the Jr./HS St. Josephs, both excellent schools.

Renting in Los Fresnos, avoid the south and west sides of town (Ive lived on the NE side for many years). There are a few good rentals on E Resaca (and two that just went for sale by owner in the last month) and the surrounding area, I own one of them but its currently rented.

Commute time to Brownsville from LF, 7-10 minuets. I work near the University on the south side of Brownsville and can get there in 17mins from LF if I push it.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:26 AM

185 posts, read 462,206 times
poorly run, bad kids?
Brownsville is a huge district, los fresnos is a very very small district
Brownsville has hundreds of thousands of people living in the town
Los fresos has a couple thousand people...didnt all their police force like quit last year...all 4 guys
hard to compare apples and oranges

I've got some constructive info for you......a 2nd grader can do well in any school....if their parents are attentive and aware. 2nd graders are not studying Calculus, Physics, or learning code. My daughter is in 2nd grade, and doing nicely here in the La Joya district. There are trouble making kids in every school, in every class....my wife teaches right now, 8th graders, gang members, so I hear examples every day...but the teacher has control, has a point system, has security guards, has referrals, has the parents phone numbers, each 2nd grade teacher is on a team with all the other 2nd grade teachers, they deal with trouble making kids daily, and trouble making kids parents need to go to school, etc.

If your kid, or kids is well behaved, does their homework, has a good attitude, can socialize well, then you have nothing to worry about concerning your 2nd grader.

I've seen some of the worst kids in Private Schools, man my little boy went to Idea schools for half a year, and I've never met more unfriendly, downright mean teachers and principals anywhere.....on the other hand many public school kids do very well for themselves and for their worried parents, public schools offer a much broader and funner curriculum, especially for a 2nd grader .......being that your on here asking about stuff for your kids shows that you are caring and attentive.

You know, a parent can pay too much attention, try to be to careful..........a kid will be a kid, they should have some fun, goof around a little....not sheltered hornendously and groomed for Harvard right out of Kindergarten.

I'm not right or wrong, this is just my opinion, hopefully it could be constructive for some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas