Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 12:08 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,535,702 times

Advertisements

I live in Las Vegas...sorry, I exist in Las Vegas. We have 4 months over 100 with 3 of those in the one teens. Yes we hit 120s often. What ever you hear on the national weather service is not accurate. The official temp is taken at the airport which is one of the coolest areas of the valley. What ever you hear on TV you can add about 5 degrees. You can drive by any bank or drug store outside digital temperature and see the proof of that.

I am also a part time south Texas resident. About an hour above Houston. Every June we spend 3 weeks in Texas.

I can tell you that I will take that 90s with humidity down there over 122 degrees any day of the week. Oh but its a dry heat. 122 degrees of dry heat is still 122 degees.

Some one hurry up and buy my house so I can get to Texas sooner then later.....huh, just kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,133,105 times
The nice thing is that almost everything is air conditioned. How did we survive before AC? When I was a kid, almost nothing as aid conditioned. I remember being very miserable every summer and just barely able to move it would be so hot....and the indoors was as hot as or hotter than the outdoors--especially if you were cooking. Thank God for AC.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:27 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,231,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
The nice thing is that almost everything is air conditioned. How did we survive before AC? When I was a kid, almost nothing as aid conditioned. I remember being very miserable every summer and just barely able to move it would be so hot....and the indoors was as hot as or hotter than the outdoors--especially if you were cooking. Thank God for AC.
I can't imagine how you and yours could stand it. If I had to live in any hot state without A/C, I couldn't do it......no way. I can stand it without the heater, but not without the A/C.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:20 PM

238 posts, read 764,425 times
Unless it's South Texas in the next few years (because of GLOBAL WARMING), I'd have to vouch for Death Valley in California. But then again, nothing's hotter than a Laredo parking lot.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM

8,064 posts, read 17,957,447 times
Coming as I did from South Texas, West Texas (specifically Abilene) is a HUGE improvement. When we were enjoying beautiful fall days with low humidity, my friend in Brownsville was complaining that they were at 97 degrees and very humid. In November, even! I do NOT miss that one bit!

Dealing with a humid 90+ degrees from April-November is just not my thing and it's really lovely to have seasons again!

Old 01-14-2008, 09:52 PM

360 posts, read 1,083,641 times
I've lived in Las Vegas, NV; Bullhead City, AZ; McAllen, TX; Eagle Pass, TX; Hattiesburg, MS; and Leesburg, FL. Single hottest? I've worked outside in Bullhead City at 125 degrees. Very unpleasant. All of these places were unpleasant in the summer but the worst were the two in Texas on the Mexican border. I used to drive up to San Antonio and Corpus just to cool off! The combination of heat and humidity was terrible. When San Antonio was 97 Eagle Pass was typically 103 to 107. McAllen usually was in the high 90's but incredibly humid. I grew up in Leesburg so dealt with it ok but after discovering the dry air out west I only go home to visit in Florida during the winter. Single worst heat and humidity I've ever experienced? Baton Rouge, LA at 103 degrees. Thought I was being boiled alive! One thing about all these places is they have great winters. I'd rather get used to the heat than deal with the snow and ice. And I've worked in enough serious winters in KS and CO to be certain of that.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:44 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,334,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I live in Las Vegas...sorry, I exist in Las Vegas. We have 4 months over 100 with 3 of those in the one teens. Yes we hit 120s often. What ever you hear on the national weather service is not accurate. The official temp is taken at the airport which is one of the coolest areas of the valley. What ever you hear on TV you can add about 5 degrees. You can drive by any bank or drug store outside digital temperature and see the proof of that.

I am also a part time south Texas resident. About an hour above Houston. Every June we spend 3 weeks in Texas.

I can tell you that I will take that 90s with humidity down there over 122 degrees any day of the week. Oh but its a dry heat. 122 degrees of dry heat is still 122 degees.

Some one hurry up and buy my house so I can get to Texas sooner then later.....huh, just kidding.

desertsun, I have to laugh because I know just what you're talking about. It always makes me laugh when I hear people refer to "dry" heat as in, "Well, at least here the 98* is a dry one" and I'm thinking, holy moley, who cares? 98* is 98*, and it sucks royally!!

Plus, there's nothing like having a tiny bit of perspiration on ya and finally reaching some cold A/C. It's like you're in a freezer. Feels heavenly... *sigh*

Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM

176 posts, read 629,950 times
Can anyone compare the weather in somewhere around Brownsville to somewhere around Longview, in the summer?

From the records on weather underground, it looks something like this in the hottest part of the year (early Aug was what I looked at the records for), at the hottest part of the day, typically:

Brownsville: 93*, 60% humidity, 10-15mph winds.
Longview: 91*, 55% humidity, 10mph winds
Portland, OR (where I live): 70* @ 60% humidity to 90* @ 25% humidity, 5mph winds

Seems like there's not too much difference between Brownsville and Longview from the data....and either is like the hottest day in OR, but more humid, every day....

But this OR winter feels damn cold after being in TX, especially coming home to a broken heater...

Old 01-17-2008, 03:03 PM

238 posts, read 764,425 times
Let's see, now. In Texas, there are really two seasons that happen during the year. You have spring, summer, summer, and spring. Winter is just an anomaly. I'm just surprised we have not gotten any hotter during the summertime in the last several years.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:58 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,598,816 times
I lived in East Texas for four long, hot humid years! So many bugs and large flying creatures!! Probably the main difference, winter may be colder. We got snow several winters, but never stayed on the ground for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas