Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2007, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,458 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need assistance with information. I'm in the process of finishing my undergrad degree in Michigan (my hometown). I've thought long and hard about this and have decided to pull up states and relocate to Texas. I'm in the process of researching various graduate schools for my Masters degree, however I need some 'step-by-step' pointers from those of you that have made the same serious decision to relocate. I don't know any variances in the cities in Texas so any information in that regard would be great! I'm already looking at grad schools in the Lonestar state so I've got that part covered, but any other information would be greatly appreciated.
Much respect to all of those striving to reposition yourself to greatness!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
What will your degree be in? What do you want to study in grad school? What type of lifestyle are you looking for?

Last edited by houstoner; 05-15-2007 at 08:47 AM..

Old 05-15-2007, 08:56 AM

126 posts, read 454,280 times
Read the response to "NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, AND WEST TEXAS-whats the diff? ". It's a great summary of the various regions of Texas. Since you're still in grad school, the school's location will dictate where you live. You will have a huge advantage while in school in exploring Texas and being able to decide if this is where you want to live.

Recommended road trips (doesn't begin to scratch the surface, but it's a start) -
West Texas - anywhere, so you can experience a sunset. You can see to the horizon 360, so for about 1/2 hour each day you can experience day and time at the same time; the western sky is daytime with blue sky and the eastern sky is night with the stars shining.
East Texas - Tyler in the spring. The Texas Highway Dept (TXDot) publishes the Azalea Trail map. Wild flowers only bloom for a few weeks, so it's an annual event that everyone looks forward to. (NEVER pick wildflowers and if you do, DON'T do it in front of a native Texan. We treasure our wild flowers.) TXDot provides the locations of the best Bluebonnet sightings. Seeing a few hundred acres of Bluebonnets will make your heart sing.
Hill Country - I highly recommend checking out the Institute of Texan Cultures in San Antonio to get a glimmer of the cultural roots of this great State (yes, I'm native born!).
South Texas - The Valley in winter.
North Texas - if you're into NASCAR you know about the major events at the Texas Motor Speedway
Panhandle - Palo Duro Canyon
The Gulf - Padre, Mustang Islands
Big Bend - a state park bigger than New England
Big Thicket - a state park bigger than New England
First Monday - a flea market held the once a month just outside Canton on the weekend that precedes the first Monday of each month (almost as big as New England!)
All the major cities - each one has their own architecture, beauty and local attractions (ex: San Antonio - Trinity Park, Dallas - White Rock Lake, Ft Worth - Sundance Square, Houston - NASA, Austin - 6th Street)

Distances are measured in time (Dallas to Austin - 4 hours, Dallas to El Paso - infinity and beyond, okay maybe just 18 hours).

Weather watching is a hobby here and the major tv stations run specials every spring on what to expect and what to do. Weather Fronts can originate here, so at certain times of the year it can change literally in a few minutes. Get used to weather being unpredictable. Just because a cloud is dark, does not necessarily mean it will rain.

Remember, you are moving to a new culture. Cultures are shaped by weather, terrain and the people that settle in the area. Texas is not like Michigan. Take the time to read as much of the Texas board as you can. The old ones contain helpful information and details not covered in the newer ones. This is a place that generates strong opinions/emotions on just about every topic. If you find it's a good fit, you will have a great adventure living here. If it's not, you will know that you tried and can make an informed decision on where you want to live.

Good luck in school!

Old 05-15-2007, 11:27 AM

3,494 posts, read 14,381,458 times
Excellent Post Vseale!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:10 AM

126 posts, read 454,280 times
Thanks BelleStar. I really had to edit my reply not to overwhelm him. By the way, DestinyAwaits, if you'll answer Houstoner's questions we can help point you to more specific locations to check out. Let us know how we can help.

Old 05-23-2007, 06:30 PM

389 posts, read 1,656,811 times
I'm a country boy from west texas and I would recommend San Angelo to Amarillo area for you.theirs some fine colleges out their like Angelo State.texas tech and west texas state and Wayland Baptist.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,389 times
Try Texas A&M !

Old 06-15-2007, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,184 times
I am also moving from Michigan to Texas, San Antonio to be exact. I am tired of the long gloomy winters here, and am ready to try somewhere new. I have a friend that lives there, so here I go! I figure if I don't like it, at least I tried. I'm going to enjoy the summer here in MI, and then head down to SA early fall. Life's too short, so give it a try. Good Luck!!!

Old 06-15-2007, 03:57 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Find the best grad school in Texas for whatever it is you are going for and then move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas