Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 21,184 times

Advertisements

I need your opinion, as I've decided to move to TX I'm in my late 30's with a young late 20's attitude and will be relocating to TX in January 2010. I've been Living in San Diego, CA for the past 7 months. I love our Military town, but have no tolerance of native Californians due their selfishness, miserableness, and lack of hospitality. I'm an Irish American country gal originally from Philly, PA that likes to party, dance, and live life to its fullest, as tomorrow may never come. Yes, I AM a Dallas fan, NOT an Eagles Fan! I pride in supporting our Military, and I will be completing my Degree in Nursing over the next 2 years.

I'm starting my life over on my own after a really bad relationship, and working really hard to get my life back on track, so it needs to be affordable for a single gal starting all over. I do realise,however, I am moving somewhere that I don't yet know anyone, but would welcome a place where its easy to make new friends.
I'm considering San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth. Most important to me is living in a safe, friendly, suburban area, with the convenience of a vibrant downtown w/nightclubs to go out to late in the week and on the weekends. I LOVE to dance, and it keeps me happy. I tend to have friends of all ages, so its important that I live in an area that offers a wide age range. Also, have a German Shepherd that loves to visit the doggie parks an meet new friends!

Thanks in advance to all of you for your suggestions!

Last edited by WhiskeyGirl03; 11-20-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:01 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
In a word: Austin.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:00 AM

34 posts, read 116,223 times
not if your looking for affodable

Old 11-21-2009, 08:28 AM

158 posts, read 471,527 times
Austin. It's a vibrant, city that has a lot to do within your age range. The largest military instillation in the USA is located up the road from Austin (30-45 minutes?) which in TX is just a hop skip and jump. Just my two cents.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Austin isn't good. Try Dallas! If not that then you always have San Antonio!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 10,373 times
I have lived in Austin almost my whole life. I completely recommend it. If you love to dance and go out it has the most restaurants and bars per capita then another major metropolitan area in the US. Dallas is full of pretentious people I kind of compare it to LA. Austin has a great nursing program at UT and ACC(Austin Community College). I would look for apt. in the arboretum area(north austin) or domain area 15mins from downtown.

Its Funny bc I am think of moving to San Diego. I grow up here so I am just looking for a change. Also I am looking to be closer to the beach and to work in a Hotel.

I am going on a 7 day trip to San Diego in Jan. What should I go see? What neighborhoods should I check out? Were are most of the hotels around?

Good luck

Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
All three of those cities are friendly, affordable, are good-sized, have solid (all things considering) economies, good airports, etc.

But they ARE all different. San Antonio is probably the least safe of the three - but still considered safe. Fort Worth has some cultural amenities like a very good zoo. San Antonio has a very distinct culture and feel due to the majority Hispanic population and history.

But a party animal might enjoy Austin the most. If you like outdoors activities - it is a winner because of the nearby lakes and emphasis on amateur and participation sports.

San Antonio has the UT Health Science center and good sized hospitals so it might be a consideration for work.

Austin might be slightly more expensive, but not much more since you said suburban living is preferred. Coming from California all three cities should be affordable.

FWIW - I live in the Austin area, my parents have been in San Antonio since 1975, my son is in college in FW, and my sister lived in FW for about ten years until 6 years ago.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:41 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
But they ARE all different. San Antonio is probably the least safe of the three - but still considered safe. Fort Worth has some cultural amenities like a very good zoo. San Antonio has a very distinct culture and feel due to the majority Hispanic population and history.

Where do you get your facts from? I can't help but feel a bit of tacit under the table racism here. It's a majority Hispanic populated city, so it must be unsafe. The only thing San Antonio beats out Fort Worth and Austin in is Motor Vehicle theft. Fort Worth beats out San Antonio in violent crime. And crime in Austin is comparable to San Antonio's.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Antonio is safe even in the most dangerous of neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl09 View Post
I need your opinion, as I've decided to move to TX I'm in my late 30's with a young late 20's attitude and will be relocating to TX in January 2010. I've been Living in San Diego, CA for the past 7 months. I love our Military town, but have no tolerance of native Californians due their selfishness, miserableness, and lack of hospitality. I'm an Irish American country gal originally from Philly, PA that likes to party, dance, and live life to its fullest, as tomorrow may never come. Yes, I AM a Dallas fan, NOT an Eagles Fan! I pride in supporting our Military, and I will be completing my Degree in Nursing over the next 2 years.

I'm starting my life over on my own after a really bad relationship, and working really hard to get my life back on track, so it needs to be affordable for a single gal starting all over. I do realise,however, I am moving somewhere that I don't yet know anyone, but would welcome a place where its easy to make new friends.
I'm considering San Antonio, Austin, and Fort Worth. Most important to me is living in a safe, friendly, suburban area, with the convenience of a vibrant downtown w/nightclubs to go out to late in the week and on the weekends. I LOVE to dance, and it keeps me happy. I tend to have friends of all ages, so its important that I live in an area that offers a wide age range. Also, have a German Shepherd that loves to visit the doggie parks an meet new friends!.

San Antonio: San Antonio has a long military history. The first airforce base was built in San Antonio. There's 4 military bases in the city (Fort Sam, Lackland (where airforce bootcamp takes place), Brooks and Camp Bullis). If you're looking for a strong military community, San Antonio is undoubtedly the town. As far as nightlife and partying, you'll need to make some really good friends in S.A.... and nightlife can be loads of fun. If you're just a single girl going to bars, you may be bored to tears. However, there's 3 really good dog parks in the city. Out of the 3 cities, San Antonio is more affordable.

Austin: No military bases. But there is a very vibrant downtown w nightclubs... few will argue that it's not the best one in the city. The city is safe, but it's very densely populated. Traffic is unbearable even during non-peak hours.

Fort Worth: Fort Hood is close. There's other bases around, but not in the city (I don't think?) Can't beat being connected to one of the largest metro areas but still feel like a mid-sized city. Nightlife is good if you can afford it. Or if you like country bars, music. LOL... jk, there's some good stuff to be had in this town. There's a central arts and enetrtainment district that is very well policed.

Last edited by joelaldo; 11-24-2009 at 08:04 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM

There is no racism in my post. I said SA has a very distinct culture. It is evident everywhere.

As for crime - they are not far apart. I said that. But San Antonio's murder rate is more than twice as high as Austin - equal to Fort Worth.

But compared to other US cities - all three cities are "safe."

Old 11-24-2009, 08:57 AM

About traffic - Austin definitely has some traffic - I35 is unbearable at commuting times. And Mopac can crawl. But San Antonio has some horrible traffic too. Traffic on 1604, 281N near Stone Oak, etc. are similarly bad.

I have little experience driving in Fort Worth during commute hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas