Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:52 AM

52,688 posts, read 47,951,424 times

Advertisements

I've lived here my whole life and watched it all happen. What we've called suburbs are basically cities now. The towns with populations under about 75,000, I still consider suburbs. And I see nothing wrong with that; it's testimony of the fact that people want to make this area home, and they've moved here and love it. I admit, I've gotten spoiled by years and years of living here that I'm used to all of this. To answer the question, I don't think they're too big at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Frisco is a suburb of Plano.
And Prosper is a suburb of Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Its gotten to the point where I dont even consider Arlington or Plano suburbs any more. I think they are stand alone cities that just happen to be close to Dallas. Of course their proximity to Dallas is the reason they grew in the first place.
Nah.

Arlington and Plano are still most definitely suburbs. I don't think they've grown out of it yet. Most of Arlington still works in either Fort Worth or Dallas. Arlington still doesn't have public transportation. UTA is still a commuter school, etc. Plano would be close because it actually has public transportation and many jobs there (more than Arlington at least). Dallas and Fort Worth are the only standalone cities.

Though, this is all one thing I liked about the DFW area over the Houston area. A bunch of different cities with nice size populations. The thing with DFW is, the suburbs are getting very big and taking things away from the main city (most notably, Dallas).

Old 11-28-2009, 11:17 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Until Arlington gets a public transit system, I refuse to call it a stad alone city.
In Houston, the definition of a "stand-alone city" is to be incorporated.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:25 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,954,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
In Houston, the definition of a "stand-alone city" is to be incorporated.
But, I hope Houston releases more of its ETJ, like it's doing for The Woodlands. That way, the City of Katy can annex most of the other parts of Katy, and the NW Harris County area can divide and incorporate.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Short end of the stick? Most people in Fort Worth dont care. Same with the who metro area thing. Its absurd to think they belong in different Metro areas. They send tons of commuters to the other, they share an airport, an economy, and a media market, etc.

Dallas and Fort Worth, as different as they might be, are one entity. There is no seperation any more except for some imaginary lines on a map. Is the same with LA and Orange County. They are very different and the attitude is much different. But they blur together, share a media market and an economy and thats just the way it is.
How would you know MOST people in Fort Worth don't care? There is a looooong history with Dallas claiming things it doesn't have.

And please don't play up the whole, "Dallas and Fort Worth are one entity" thing. You're just making Dallas look bigger than what it is and making it seem like that city is the soul reason for all the growth in this area.... like everyone else.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
How would you know MOST people in Fort Worth don't care? There is a looooong history with Dallas claiming things it doesn't have.

And please don't play up the whole, "Dallas and Fort Worth are one entity" thing. You're just making Dallas look bigger than what it is and making it seem like that city is the soul reason for all the growth in this area.... like everyone else.
You dont know what you are saying.

I like Fort Worth 5 times better than Dallas. I spent a year at TCU and loved it. But this area operates as one whether you like it or not. Its a big blur and the cities have grown together. They are very different cities. The Dallas side of the Metroplex is snotty and plastic, but diverse, full of good resturants, has amazing shopping, and is international. The Fort Worth side is laid back, friendly, fun, and safe, and...I have nothing in the world bad to say about Fort Worth. If I could live there instead of Dallas, I would in a heartbeat. I like Dallas alot, but Fort Worth is a city like no other. Its also a huge reason I wanted to come here instead of Houston. Houston doesnt have a contrast to it like Dallas and Fort Worth have with each other. You can have it all in the Metroplex!

So just because I do think Dallas and Fort Worth economically operate as one entity, dont mistake me for a blind Dallas booster. I will stand by the fact that Dallas/Fort Worth is one entity, and its not because of population numbers. 90% of people in North Texas dont care. The place is the same to them regardless. There is no evidence other than the fact that the cities are very different that they dont belong in the same metro area.

Also Fort Worth has added more people in its city proper than Dallas since 2000. Its the fastest growing city in the Metroplex. But Collin county is the one that is growing the most.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:54 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Also Fort Worth has added more people in its city proper than Dallas since 2000. Its the fastest growing city in the Metroplex. But Collin county is the one that is growing the most.
Dallas can only grow denser, where Fort Worth still has room to sprawl outwards, though there is still a lot of undeveloped land in the South Dallas city limits.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:58 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
First of all, Arlington isn't even in Dallas County so there is no way Dallas could ever annex it even if they wanted to. Also, Dallas is land locked with all of its surrounding mega burbs already...Irving, Mesquite, Garland, Carrollton, Farmers Branch, Grand Prairie, Plano, Richardson, etc.

Fort Worth is the opposite. It has plenty of undeveloped available land to annex without having to annex one of its suburbs such as Arlington. Just a few years ago Fort Worth annexed some land for future development.
Dallas is not land locked Southern Dallas County has a lot more undeveloped land! Dallas stretches into 5 counties Denton,Rockwall,Dallas,Kaufman and Collin.

Dallas County (The box is Dallas County) notice that the city limits stretches out of Dallas County. The white area in the lower corner is the undeveloped land!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dallas can only grow denser, where Fort Worth still has room to sprawl outwards, though there is still a lot of undeveloped land in the South Dallas city limits.
Yes but who would build there when they can build in Plano, Frisco, or Uptown? South Dallas isnt exactly prime real estate.

Old 11-28-2009, 08:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Yes but who would build there when they can build in Plano, Frisco, or Uptown? South Dallas isnt exactly prime real estate.
Cuz South Dallas is the new North Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas