Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 12:36 PM

84 posts, read 556,026 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering what kind of spiders are common in the home in Texas.

Mainly the Houston, San Antonio and Dallas areas.

Here in Wisconsin, we only get real small house spiders, but even those are enough to creep me out. I'd hate to have anything bigger in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 01:25 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
We have Texas Chair Spiders (offical term bognotus spideros), which aren't really the size of a chair; generally they are only 8-12 inches across, but that's just the main body. The legs stretch out up to 3 or 4 feet. Their harmless though unless they crawl on your face while you sleep and suffocate you. It has happened, but only two or three times in the last 6 months in my area.

Just watch your pet doors because that's how they get in, through the pet doors. They're usually too big for the littlest pet doors but will squeeze through the ones for larger dogs.. Below is a picture of one that was lounging around in my back yard earlier this year. I had to use the zoom on my camera because I didn't want to get close. They can't hurt you with their bit but they creep me out, and there's that whole sleeping thing.

Just joking! We have all manner of spiders down here; black widows, fiddlebacks, tarantulas, brown wolf spiders, and more but I rarely see any in the house. Never see any of the big ones around here in the DFW area. The big ones do creep me out as well..
Cheers.

Last edited by Synopsis; 05-16-2007 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,330,880 times
Thanks for making me smile Synopsis.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:50 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,619,033 times
I won't show that picture to my wife....even a metal art spider would freak her out!

Old 05-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Thanks for making me smile Synopsis.
Welcome! Sometimes I get in these "moods." And trainwreck, I know what you mean. My wife would LOSE IT!

Old 05-16-2007, 03:07 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
I always heard when I lived there that Brown Recluses were not unusual in the home.

I remember when we first moved back to Texas from Boston, we were driving into Fort Worth, it was VERY hot outside...in the road in front of me where these VERY large black spots walking across the road...I HAD to ask what they were...they were tarantulas...BIG ENOUGH TO AIM A CAR AT AND HIT...my DAD said the best way to kill them was to slam on the brakes right when your tire was over one, he said that just to freak me out...the real truth of that statement is that is what you do to kill a snake crossing the road...lol.

Then of course he told me they like to walk around on the ceiling of old and abandoned buildings and have the capability of letting go and falling from the ceiling, he said he had one land on his shoulder...I needed medication and therapy after that one...I NEVER went in places where these things could be found because NO JOKE, if one of them ended up on my shoulder, I would have decompensated and still be sitting on the floor rocking back and forth...

I used to have a couple cats that I called my Spider Hunters...somehow they knew they were around and they would try to catch them and at least notify me something was there..so I was not surprised.

OH BY THE WAY...that picture freaked me out...I had a hard time looking at it long enough to see its not real...

Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM

That's funny Lisa!

Believe me, although I posted that pic, I have a definite fear of the big spiders. It's funny, but when I lived in West Fort Worth years ago I saw "Wolf" spiders all of the time (didn't like it one bit). I live in the mid-cities area of DFW now and have never seen a spider bigger than a dime. I can't stand the wolf spiders, I hear they are also called "jumping spiders" but never want to find out how far they can jump (shiver).. These things can get about the size of a man's hand, legs and all, and look very menacing although I hear their bite is no more poisonous than a bee sting.

I remember one summer morning when I was moving into a rental home about 15 years ago in West FW, I looked out in the back yard and I saw this bird - a sparrow or something- attempting to get at something on the ground. He was flying above this thing and trying to get at it to eat it I guess. Upon closer examination it turned out to be a large wolf spider that reared up on its hind legs and the bird finally gave up (probably from fear) and flew away.

Another time I was putting the finishing touches on the hardwood floor in this rental home (down on my hands and knees) and when I reached back to dip my brush into the bucket there was this very large wolf spider just sitting there eying me over, not 8 inches from my hand. The darn things aren't afraid of anything! I freaked out but kept my composure long enough to open the door and use a broom to shoosh him out the door. I DEFINITELY didn't want to kill the nasty thing on my new hardwood floor. From then on I sprayed pest control religiously and never saw another one in the house.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:13 PM

1,101 posts, read 4,328,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I live in the mid-cities area of DFW now and have never seen a spider bigger than a dime.
You have now (if you dare )

These were taken in Arlington - it's a garden spider, big and scary looking, but harmless (unless you're a bug). Total legspan is probably about the size of an average hand.

WARNING: If you are arachnophobic - you don't want to see these
Attached Thumbnails
Spiders-gardenspiderunderside.jpg   Spiders-gardenspidertop.jpg  

Old 05-16-2007, 05:34 PM

As much as I hate seeing those things, I had to look. That is just creepy. I've seen a few of those in this area, just not nearly as big. Every once in awhile I'll also walk through a web and I do "the dance" just to make sure there's nothing camping out on the backside or in the hair. I must look pretty comical to anyone that happens to see me.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:28 PM

82 posts, read 406,199 times
That was just enough to make me not want to move there. I hate spiders. My -20 winters kill those kind of citters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas