U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What grocery store do you most often shop at?
Randalls 0 0%
Lowe's 0 0%
Albertson's 2 4.65%
Kroger 6 13.95%
HEB 23 53.49%
Wal-Mart 3 6.98%
Tom Thumb 2 4.65%
Fiesta 3 6.98%
Brookshire Brothers 0 0%
Other 4 9.30%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 10:16 AM

5,226 posts, read 2,905,753 times

Advertisements

COVID has changed the whole grocery shopping environment. It is more frenetic now. While I used to enjoy grocery shopping before COVID, I do not enjoy it now. In the pre-pandemic world, at times when I was single and unattached, I would approach women and find dates at the grocery store. I can't imagine how difficult that might be today. I hope this whole COVID thing passes over soon.

In 2009, these were the poll options.

Randalls
Lowe's
Albertson's
Kroger
HEB
Wal-Mart
Tom Thumb
Fiesta
Brookshire Brothers
Other

Randall's and Tom Thumb are the same. According to Wikipedia, in 1992, Randalls bought Tom Thumb. Tom Thumb kept its name in DFW Metro, and Randalls locations were in other parts of the state. Both Randalls and Tom Thumb were bought by Safeway in 1999, and kept their names. Grocery mergers tend to not involve brand name changes, unlike when banks merge. The Safeway brand never made an appearance in Texas.

I have only lived in Dallas as a Texas resident. In my time in Dallas, I have shopped for groceries at Walmart, Kroger, Tom Thumb, Central Market (an HEB sub-brand), Sprouts, and Whole Foods on multiple occasions. When I first moved to Dallas, I was unemployed, and Walmart was my most common grocery destination. I was budget conscious and not as fussy about the ingredients that I was putting in my body at the time. I have changed.

Kroger is the best option for being budget conscious while eating healthy. I have also gotten the most amount of dates from approaches at Kroger while in phases of life when I was looking to meet women at the grocery store. That result is likely just specific to me. Throughout the majority of my time in Dallas, Kroger has been my primary grocery store.

Tom Thumb can have some good sales, so there might be weeks while I skip Kroger in favor of Tom Thumb. Or there may be times where it's more convenient for me to go to Tom Thumb than Kroger based on when I'm available to grocery shop.

Central Market/Whole Foods/Sprouts are in a similar category for me. They are somewhat specialty stores for me. Sprouts has the best prices of 3 and it would be conceivable to have Sprouts as a primary grocer, depending on what a person needed in a week. Central Market and Whole Foods are most similar. I think CM is a little less expensive. There are a few things I like in CM that I can't find in other grocery stores. Pre-pandemic, Whole Foods had a good prepared foods bar where someone could get a good meal for less than a sit down restaurant without the processed ingredients typically found at restaurants supplied by Sysco. These stores also tended to have a populace of attractive women shopping there. I noticed this was more pronounced at Central Market and Whole Foods than Sprouts. Central Market women tended to be the flakiest women after I set dates and got their numbers when I was doing that, but that result is likely just specific to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 68 times
Heb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or