Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 AM

17 posts, read 33,928 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the process of deciding between Washington State and Texas, both states so far seem to have their pro's and con's, just like anywhere I suppose

Really we'd just like somewhere nice & laid back to raise our 6 children & to meet new people/make new friends. I love having all four seasons in Utah, my husband is from Ireland so I know the heat might get to him in Tx but in the research I've done it seems to be such a nice place! At least a good part of it anyhow.

Our biggest thing is to find someplace big enough to for us to live AND affordable (as in no more than $250k when purchasing - what's the renting market like in Tx?). Not too humid & family friendly. I've been looking in the San Marcos area but from what I can tell it gets fairly humid there, right? Would anyone be able to suggest cities that might fit this criteria? I sure would appreciate it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:20 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,915,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watermelon_Gypsy View Post
I love having all four seasons in Utah...
Hmmmm... could it possibly have changed that much since I lived there in the early 1980s??? I can recall it snowing heavily one day in mid May and the very next day the temps becoming summer-like! I never saw a very lengthy fall or spring - just seemed to jump right from summer to winter and back again, although there were nice "January thaw" days in the winter months when spring temps did exist for a few days.

Texas is going to have HOT summers that vary from VERY HUMID to VERY ARID going from east to west in the state. Winters are usually mild across the state - but humidity can either aggravate cold in the eastern 2/3 or ameliorate it in the western 1/3. South Texas has such mild winters that people flock there in winter to escape the winters "up north" - they're known as "snowbirds" to the locals.

Washington state goes the opposite direction - very damp and overcast most of the winter to the west of the Cascade range and more arid in the east. It can be very hot on some days in the east and even Seattle has been known to exceed 100F at times in the summer, although that's rare.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,207,814 times
I keep saying this....job first when deciding where to live. Especially in these times. If you love Utah, you might find areas like Amarillo, Abilene, or Lubbock (more arid areas) more to your liking. If you like it lush and and green, look to the eastern part of the state like Tyler or Longview.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:37 PM

I think we have a good span of all 4 seasons where I live. Snowing in May while not impossible, isn't a common event either. I've lived here for over 20yrs and can say we have a good taste of all seasons in the SLC area.

We already have a job that will follow us so that's not an issue

I appreciate the input, thanks!

Old 12-27-2009, 02:29 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,571,627 times
The northwestern part of Texas around Lubbock and Amarillo is closest to your preferred climate, being fairly dry (but not desert) with all four seasons. Both cities are nice, affordable, and very family friendly.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Snowing in May while not impossible, isn't a common event either.
The early 1980s, when I lived in SLC, were likely aberrations since the level of the Great Salt Lake reached all-time record high levels during that period. And in May-June, (1982 I think it was) the downtown streets were flooded by City Creek when a sudden late snow melt overcame the city's ability to handle the runoff. State St. was totally closed to traffic, with sandbags holding in the flow of water through the downtown area and temporary wooden foot bridges and a few vehicle crossings installed.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Have a job before you move.

The major areas that have employment opportunities have "Humid" in their middle name.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxart View Post
The early 1980s, when I lived in SLC, were likely aberrations since the level of the Great Salt Lake reached all-time record high levels during that period. And in May-June, (1982 I think it was) the downtown streets were flooded by City Creek when a sudden late snow melt overcame the city's ability to handle the runoff. State St. was totally closed to traffic, with sandbags holding in the flow of water through the downtown area and temporary wooden foot bridges and a few vehicle crossings installed.

I was really little when that happened, we were living in Cottonwood at the time. Thankfully it's pretty quiet in this area most of the time lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Have a job before you move.

The major areas that have employment opportunities have "Humid" in their middle name.
Like I said in a previous post, we already have a job That's one thing I'll have to get used to though, the humidity.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
I was really little when that happened, we were living in Cottonwood at the time. Thankfully it's pretty quiet in this area most of the time lol
Just imagine white water kayaking or rafting right down State street!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:58 PM

LOL Hilarious!! And yet, I'm sure not so for those living it. That's just crazy. I'll have to ask my mom about it, see what she remembers.

What can you guys tell me about Hill Country/San Marcos/ New Brunsfeld (sp?) Are these good area's to raise a family? How hot/humid does it typicall get there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas