Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Ok...thats fine, but Metro Houston isn't that far behind D/FW in population. Its the 5th largest Metro in the US after D/FW. Houston surpassed Philly for that title over a year ago. If the growth rate continues in Houston as it has been the past decade, it could eventually surpass Chicago in the next 10 years.

Fort Worth accounts for nearly 700,000 people in the D/FW Metroplex, which is the only reason why its any larger than Houston. To deny that would be silly.
I have to ask this; where would the 5 million other people be than if Fort Worth didn't exist??? This makes no sense to say Dallas without Fort Worth would be San Antonio. Is there facts to prove this or something???

Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I have to ask this; where would the 5 million other people be than if Fort Worth didn't exist??? This makes no sense to say Dallas without Fort Worth would be San Antonio. Is there facts to prove this or something???
I was referring to Dallas County alone that IS in fact 2 million in population. SA's Metro population is indeed at 2 million too.

Denton is at the top of the North Texas triangle in Denton County (over 600,000) which makes up North Texas & could survive on its own without Dallas if it really had to because of the Barnett Shale natural gas discovery & higher education that exists there.

Tarrant County is the 3rd main piece of the triagle which makes up the D/FW Metroplex & is right under the 2 million mark itself soon to eclipse Dallas County.

The rest of the counties...Collin, Rockwall, Kaufman, Ellis, Johnson, Parker, & Wise Counties would arguably not be what they are today without Dallas & Fort Worth at the very center. I still can't figure out for the life of me why Hunt & Delta Counties population figures are thrown in there with the others as they're practically on the edge of the Piney Woods here in East Texas & make up between 90,000-100,000 people combined (making Dallas look that much better).

Do the math Jluke, its pretty simple actually & all adds up to the 6.3 million people that currently make up North Texas.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-29-2009 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 05:48 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
I was referring to Dallas County alone that IS in fact 2 million in population. SA's Metro population is indeed at 2 million too.
No, what you said is that without Fort Worth, a Dallas metro would only have 2 million. Not only is there no way you could prove that, but its highly illogical to think that Dallas would only have less than 1/3 of it current size without Fort Worth.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No, what you said is that without Fort Worth, a Dallas metro would only have 2 million. Not only is there no way you could prove that, but its highly illogical to think that Dallas would only have less than 1/3 of it current size without Fort Worth.
Do the math. I posted several of the counties numbers above.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Do the math. I posted several of the counties numbers above.
What math? Theres no way to know what a Dallas Metro area would truly be if Fort Worth didnt exist. You can post numbers until your fingers fall off, but it wont mean anything because Fort Wort exists and it will always exist. Given that Dallas is the biggest business center, I would bet any amount of money that it would retain 2/3 of the population if Fort Worth never existed. But again, theres no way to prove it.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
What math? Theres no way to know what a Dallas Metro area would truly be if Fort Worth didnt exist. You can post numbers until your fingers fall off, but it wont mean anything because Fort Wort exists and it will always exist. Given that Dallas is the biggest business center, I would bet any amount of money that it would retain 2/3 of the population if Fort Worth never existed. But again, theres no way to prove it.
Yes, Fort Worth will always exist & will continue adding more people to its city than Dallas because Fort Worth can & has recently annexed more of its surrounding land, unlike Dallas, which is encompassed by surrounding cities all well over 100,000 in population. Most people are going to continue to choose Fort Worth though because its much less expensive & less corrupt than Dallas equaling a better quality of life overall.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, Fort Worth will always exist & will continue adding more people to its city than Dallas because Fort Worth can & has recently annexed more of its surrounding land, unlike Dallas, which is encompassed by surrounding cities all well over 100,000 in population. Most people are going to continue to choose Fort Worth though because its much less expensive & less corrupt than Dallas equaling a better quality of life overall.
I would if I could, but my job is in Dallas. I like Fort Worth better than Dallas.

But I think that most people in recent years have been choosing Collin and Denton counties than Dallas or Tarrant counties (at least by percentage).

Old 12-29-2009, 06:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
Quote:
Dallas still can annex land in other counties! Dallas annex land in Irving. Then Irving annex land around it so Dallas couldn't annex anymore land!

Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM

457 posts, read 904,628 times
And all this nonsense has what to do with the imaginary rivalry between Dallas and Houston?

Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
And all this nonsense has what to do with the imaginary rivalry between Dallas and Houston?
With all due respect. Its hardly imaginary, my friend. Any Native Texan knows that...

Even my grandfather who just turned 87 has told me the stories. Heck, he grew up on Walnut Hill Lane in Dallas when it was nothing but country & wide open fields as far as the eye could see & milked the cows every morning at the crack of dawn before school started. He also has an elementary school in Dallas named after his family's last name. His older brother (my great uncle) helped design the spire on the Republic Bank building & Red Horse a top the old Magnolia Building downtown.

This Time Magazine article, written way back in 1981 is one of the most famous write ups on the two cities of all time. A lot of whats described in it still holds true to this very day.

Here is just a little snippet taken from the article:

"Houston has no zoning laws. Dallas, however, is hemmed in by suburbs that resist annexation, and the city's urban planners have carefully guided expansion. Admits Dallas Developer Scovell: "Sure, we were jealous of Houston's growth. Anyone who tells you different is a liar."

The Best Little Rivalry in Texas - TIME

Deja Vu anyone?

I hope this finally puts a nail in this threads coffin for good as I'm tired of preaching to immature people who didn't even grow up here in this great state & know only what they read on C-D from highly biased posters.

I'm soo over it already!!!

Last edited by Metro Matt; 12-29-2009 at 11:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas