Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 12:04 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times

Advertisements

i pretty much agree with metro matt's points. It does seem like out of all the rivalries, it is always been between Dallas and Houston. It always has been and always will be. Dallas does depend on Ft worth in a regional sense and i think Dallasites need to stop taking offense to that.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
i pretty much agree with metro matt's points. It does seem like out of all the rivalries, it is always been between Dallas and Houston. It always has been and always will be. Dallas does depend on Ft worth in a regional sense and i think Dallasites need to stop taking offense to that.
I personally never take offens to that..but I do think that houstonians try and use that to spark up some friction But the question i wanna know is what would it matter or what point are you guys tryna make by saying Dallas depends on Ft.Worh?.....if someone from Dallas ever did admitt to that would it convince u houstonians that Houston as a city is indeed better tan he city of Dalla or what ARE yall gettin at?!!!!....that puzzles me

Old 02-23-2010, 01:00 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,450,763 times
I think the rivalry(if there really is one) is based on the fact that houstonians think that Houston is supposd to be the best at everythng because it is the largest city in the state,and when houstonians are proven wrong in alot of instances..they say we(dallasites or other texans) are just jealous of the biggest baddest bazooka of Texas. But the reality of it all is that Dallas and houston ar both about equal(in just about everything...So the question should be Is Dallas really that great to be on par with the 4th largest city in the U.S. or is Houston really that bad to be on par with the 9th largst city in the U.S......hmmmmmmm

Old 02-23-2010, 01:26 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Dallas vs. Fort Worth is the bigger rivalry. I don't think we give Houston much thought except on this forum!

Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
I think Ft. Worth and Dallas.

Houston and Dallas are far enough away from one another and "evenly matched" enough that it isn't usually that big of a deal unless some jack nape from D-town goes looking for trouble in a Houston bar (he can't really help it, he's from Dallas).

On the other hand, if you unintentionally refer to someone from Ft. Worth as "being from Dallas" you've really stirred up some feces. They hate that. There is a completely different character to the actual rivalry between Houston and Dallas and the intense, pathological, borne-out-of-existential-identity-crisis, familial tension between Fort Worth and Dallas. Can't say I blame them, Cowtown was, at one time, a pretty big deal. It's a little sad when you think about it.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Dallas and Fort Worth because Dallas and Houstn are just two cities with different futures. Houston big advanatges is their port.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:51 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth because Dallas and Houstn are just two cities with different futures.
Im not quite sure what you mean. Would you explain?

Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,817,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
No, what you said is that without Fort Worth, a Dallas metro would only have 2 million. Not only is there no way you could prove that, but its highly illogical to think that Dallas would only have less than 1/3 of it current size without Fort Worth.
If there was no Ft. Worth, would the drive to Dallas International Airport be shorter?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:19 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,374,705 times
Houston's rivalry with Dallas is definately bigger than anything Dallas and Fort Worth have going on. I think Dallas and Fort Worth have pretty much realized the benefits of regionalism.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,059,766 times
With NFL...I feel sure there are lots more Cowboy-haters in Houston than there are Texans-haters in Dallas. Mainly because of the Cowboys success and longevity. (Several Cowboys fans in Houston too).

With baseball, I don't hear of anybody in Houston who hates the Rangers. National League is its own little world. With baseball, the Astros have a tad more longevity than the Rangers.

NBA...pretty even I think...but even still the Rockets fans tend to hate the Jazz and the Lakers more than the Mavs. (In my opinion of course!)

I don't hear anybody talk much about Dallas actually...other than sports.

Texas residents have a pretty good superiority complex to other states anyway.

Houston does deal with its national image of being successful in spite of its visual blight, sprawl and weather. That seems, to me, to be more of a national image issue than a Houston-Dallas thing.

(And of course any hint of a Houston-Dallas rivalry pales in comparison to Aggie-Longhorn - although even there I think it is a lot bigger deal for Aggies than it is for Horns - is there any other school that mentions its rival in its fight song??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas