Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

139 posts, read 500,318 times

Advertisements

So as you can probably guess it is for spring break. We are from Michigan and we drove to Panama City last year, but the drive to South Padre is not gonna happen. So I have some questions on how to go about this:

What city should I fly to?

We don't want to rent a car, so how should we go about getting from the airport to South Padre? - How much would this cost?

If we did rent a car, how much are we looking at?

I'm assuming once we get to South Padre we would be fine taking taxis or just simply walking, all we need to be able to do is get from the hotel, to the beach, to the liqueur store.

Any other suggestions as far as hotels would be great too...were 4 college kids looking to get right into the craziest part of the beach scene.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,852,153 times
Brownsville/SPI airport

Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 AM

217 posts, read 1,043,415 times
There's Brownsville as Oildog mentioned or you can also fly into the Harlingen Airport. Both have shuttles that will take you to SPI. I think they're normally free but they charge during spring break. Personally I'd rent a car. You'll end up connecting through Dallas or Houston depending on which airline you choose.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:54 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,399,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola View Post
So as you can probably guess it is for spring break. We are from Michigan and we drove to Panama City last year, but the drive to South Padre is not gonna happen. So I have some questions on how to go about this:

What city should I fly to?

We don't want to rent a car, so how should we go about getting from the airport to South Padre? - How much would this cost?

If we did rent a car, how much are we looking at?

I'm assuming once we get to South Padre we would be fine taking taxis or just simply walking, all we need to be able to do is get from the hotel, to the beach, to the liqueur store.

Any other suggestions as far as hotels would be great too...were 4 college kids looking to get right into the craziest part of the beach scene.

Thanks!
I found Harlingen to be the better airport and then its a 45 minute drive (rental) to SPI. Watch it driving thru Los Fresnos - they have a reputation for pulling people over for doing 5 to 6 over the speed limit.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 52,989 times
Hi,
I live in South Padre Island. You can fly into Harlingen Texas ( Southwest Airlines)which is like 35 minutes away or fly in Brownsville Tx Continental). Brownsville is 15 minutes away.
Once you are on the island you can have FREE rides on a public transportation called "The Wave".
It runs up and down the island . There is a Sheraton, Holiday Inn , La Quinta and several other hotels to stay at. Book early, it gets packed quick. Let me know if you have any other questions about this area and I will be happy to answer them.

Buen Dia!

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaslatina View Post
You can fly into Harlingen Texas ( Southwest Airlines)
I second the recommendation of Harlingen.

If your stay is a week or more and you don't mind a 5-hour drive each way to SPI, you could probably fly into San Antonio more cheaply than any airport to the south. Spend a night on the Riverwalk at one end of the visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas