U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 30,475 times

Advertisements

and why?

If you had 5 horses and 2 big dogs.

Any good farm and ranch brokers in either place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:31 PM

10,218 posts, read 21,674,784 times
To either of those places? No way. First of all, the ground in SW Texas is awful for horses. It's very rocky and there is little grass. Most people out there raise sheep and Angora goats, which are about the only things that can live on the vegetation. You'd better also be a farrier and have the $ to buy 18-wheeler loads of hay to feed your horses, or you'll go broke. And unless you like shopping from the JCPenney Catalog or at Wal-Mart, there is nothing else there.

Ozona is full of stuck-up ranchers. If you aren't one of them, then you're "trash" and they will not speak to you.

Sonora is full of drug runners and similarly stuck-up ranchers. There is ONE decent restaurant in town (Sutton County Steakhouse).

Look at San Angelo. The land there is much more horse-friendly and the people are a whole lot nicer.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 19,735,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
To either of those places? No way. First of all, the ground in SW Texas is awful for horses. It's very rocky and there is little grass. Most people out there raise sheep and Angora goats, which are about the only things that can live on the vegetation. You'd better also be a farrier and have the $ to buy 18-wheeler loads of hay to feed your horses, or you'll go broke. And unless you like shopping from the JCPenney Catalog or at Wal-Mart, there is nothing else there.

Ozona is full of stuck-up ranchers. If you aren't one of them, then you're "trash" and they will not speak to you.

Sonora is full of drug runners and similarly stuck-up ranchers. There is ONE decent restaurant in town (Sutton County Steakhouse).

Look at San Angelo. The land there is much more horse-friendly and the people are a whole lot nicer.
What a nasty post. Most of the ranchers I know in Sonora and Ozona would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it, and go out of their way to help you.

If you did indeed experience this personally (which I highly doubt), you must have been pretty unfriendly/rude yourself.

Last edited by Cathy4017; 12-31-2009 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM

2,601 posts, read 7,748,343 times
Yes Christie went way overboard. Both places are similar but they are so isolated. If that doesn't bother you they are cute little towns. I have 30 acres in Ingleside that would be fine for horses. I agree with Cathy that people in almost any small town are friendly. There is some riverfront land around there there that is pretty reasonable. Its easy on paper to say you want to live in an isolated place- after a few years you could go nuts.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:42 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,485,518 times
These towns are identical. I value my sanity so I wouldn't live in either.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 18,325,801 times
If you get down off the mesas and into the valley's, there's enough grass for horses. For instance, around Ft. Lancaster.

Overall? It's West Texas. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 AM

10,218 posts, read 21,674,784 times
FYI, I graduated from Angelo State University in San Angelo, and I'm married to a guy from Del Rio. My sister-in-law lives in Menard. So, I know West Texas pretty well.

I DID work in both Ozona and Sonora when I got out of college. I was a field representative for a children's non-profit organization, and I had LOTS of first-hand experience working with the local communities to attempt to build our program. The ranchers are really nice to you initially, but when you actually need someone to work with the local kids (especially if the kids were hispanic) the ranchers disappear and will ignore you. The little town of Rocksprings was the WORST place I worked in this regard. The kids were BEGGING for a local leader, and literally no one would even speak to me when I asked for volunteers. It was SO sad...

My sister-in-law was initially excited when her family got the opportunity to move from San Angelo to Menard. We knew the program there for her kids was top-notch from my experience. However, she quickly came to realize the two caste system of a. ranchers and b. everyone else. The program there was "only available" to the ranchers' kids. If a kid from town tried to join, the ranchers would suddenly say their group was full. She tried joining the local country club, and although they let her pay dues, the ranchers' kids would never play with her kids, so they dropped out. Then, my sister-in-law started working for the local ISD, and she discovered the HUGE methamphetamine problem there. So many of the local kids (obviously NOT the ranchers' kids) were developmentally delayed due to exposure to methamphetamines either in the womb or as a young child... Again, it was just really sad.

So, move out there if you like. But don't be naive and think it will be paradise.

Honestly, if you are looking for a place to live and get to play with your horses all the time, look around Stephenville. The land there is MUCH better for horses' hooves, and there are TONS of other horse owners and activities such as arenas, riding clubs, etc.

Old 05-22-2020, 12:25 AM

20,867 posts, read 5,268,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnherrick View Post
and why?

If you had 5 horses and 2 big dogs.

Any good farm and ranch brokers in either place?
I would not live full time in either town.

Old 05-22-2020, 03:47 PM

1,414 posts, read 712,288 times
I expect this thread to be locked any moment now

Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 PM

20,867 posts, read 5,268,287 times
On second thought I would live in Sonora because its closer to hog and exotic hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas