Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,400,780 times

Advertisements

Cause they're jealous! haha kidding.

I don't know. I guess they don't understand how Texans can be proud to be Texans. From my experience they don't understand because they have this notion, this idea that Texas is a certain way. I guess what they don't realize is how big the state really is, so no, it's impossible for an entire state to be a certain way.
Like the poster before me said, I think most states have the same mentality it's just more noticeable with Texans because there's more of us.

I get people asking me about horses and cowboys too.
Until I had moved to OK, I had never even seen a horse up close.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:07 PM

128 posts, read 271,884 times
It is probably safe to say Texas is the flagship red state, and there is a lot of general red state-hate in America right now. A whole lot of it is political, but a lot of media outlets promote negative stereotypes of Texas as well. Then again, most media outlets are liberally biased.

A friend of mine from high school went to UC Berkeley and she says that when she tells people shes from Texas they look at her like she's going to bomb an abortion clinic. It's really stupid that Texas has these stereotypes. A facebook app that does personality tests actually found Texans to be more open-minded than the national average.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 PM

189 posts, read 626,441 times
I think our pride and love for our state get on other people's nerves. They don't understand where it comes from. I lived in KY for 5 yrs and, yes, they do love their state.... but I never witnessed it on the level Texans have. I wouldn't see KY flags flying everywhere like you see Texas flags here. Also, I taught in TX and KY and noticed that we focused on Texas history more than Kentuckians focused on KY history. Maybe that has something to do with it??? And our students would recite the Texas pledge to the flag and I never heard the students in KY reciting a pledge. I think it's a pride we tend to instill in our children. Anyway.... that's my own personal opinion.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:12 AM

816 posts, read 1,938,058 times
My sociology professor last year told us when he lived in Colorado and a lot of them do not like Texans because they see Texans as wealthy oil people. One of the reasons I can come up with. Also, they think most Texans wear cowboy hats when many of them do not at least in East Texas. Heck, many Wyomings wear cowboy hats just as much as Texans.

Another reason I can think of is Texas is extremely religious and conservative. My preacher who is from AL even said Texas is probably the most religious in the nation and it probably is. I find it weird that Austin has the least church attendance in all of South and it's in Texas. I can't find the source but it was just recent.

As far as I know, I think many people are actually jealous of Texans, not just hate them.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 AM

2,185 posts, read 4,986,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
As far as I know, I think many people are actually jealous of Texans, not just hate them.

You're delusional, nobody is jealous of Texans.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM

3,242 posts, read 5,577,723 times
Let's just divide folks into 2 groups ... "lovers" and "haters".

Lovers say positive things, build folks up, are not contentious.

Haters are just the opposite.

Its really just that simple. Now, most folks are a mixture of these 2 characteristics ... just have to figure out which one dominates their lives.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM

3,304 posts, read 5,730,677 times
Why do non Texans hate Texas?

WHO CARES

Old 01-06-2010, 11:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,778,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Why do non Texans hate Texas?

WHO CARES
Likewise.....it's hard to stop a big grin when I run into the occasional "I hate Texas and Texans" people...LOL!!

Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM

816 posts, read 1,938,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
You're delusional, nobody is jealous of Texans.
Hahaha. Well, you can call me delusional. I've been in a lot of states and maybe you have also and come in part of wrong bad people who shouldn't hate other Americans.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,367,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An0nym0us88 View Post
My sociology professor last year told us when he lived in Colorado and a lot of them do not like Texans because they see Texans as wealthy oil people. One of the reasons I can come up with. Also, they think most Texans wear cowboy hats when many of them do not at least in East Texas. Heck, many Wyomings wear cowboy hats just as much as Texans.

Another reason I can think of is Texas is extremely religious and conservative. My preacher who is from AL even said Texas is probably the most religious in the nation and it probably is. I find it weird that Austin has the least church attendance in all of South and it's in Texas. I can't find the source but it was just recent.

I honestly don't know why anyone would be jealous of Texas? And I don't mean that in a put-down way. I know up here in AK. the complaint you'll hear about Texans is how they drive but then there are alot of bad drivers up here from all over. I have a friend who lives in Houston; I know she mentioned how many illegals are there so maybe that's the reason?

The few Texans I knew up here came off quite arrogant it seemed and I've heard others say the same thing. Sometimes their arrogance stops though when you mention that you can fit 2-1/2 Texas's into the State of AK. I don't care myself where anyone is from; I judge them by the person they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas