Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:18 PM

55 posts, read 100,313 times

Advertisements

Hi I am thinking of relocating to either San Antonio or Laredo..my sister says i should have a job lined up BEFORE i move. While i would like that, i may not be able to wait that long. I was thinking of around 2-3000 dollars. I have been to laredo before and tried to find work and it seemed hard and the apartments seemed to be way overpriced for the area..can anyone tell me if thats accurate? i have only passed through San Antonio and never stayed but it seems like a nice area..

Just a little info about me, im 31 single..yes i speak spanish so the hispanic thing won't bother me and im ready to really settle down in a nice city where a stranger can be typically accepted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 02:13 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,887,890 times
Depends on the kind of job your looking for. If your a brain surgeon...no problem. Other than that...be more specific to your line of work and that may be a clue to what kind of work is avaiable in what city. All kidding aside, it would be more prudent to have a least a lead on a job or a field of work before you make the move.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:17 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
There are a lot more things to do and job opportunities in San Antonio. Also, not much to do in Laredo other than go to Mexico (more dangerous now due to drug wars). In San Antonio, you have the Texas Hill Country next door, Corpus Christi, Eagle Pass, Laredo, and Del Rio all about 2 1/2 hours away and Houston about 3 1/2 hours (add another hour for Dallas). Also, lots of smaller towns not too far away (Boerne, Seguin, Lytle, Devine, and New Braufels to name a few).

Old 01-07-2010, 04:59 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
San Antonio also has MUCH better shopping, a larger airport, and isn't as remote as Laredo.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:24 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,011,529 times
I agree with what ShaneSA said.... what kind of work are you looking for? Your sister is also wise with her suggestion as well... its usually not a good thing to move without something lined up. Just curious... why are you limiting yourself to just SA and Laredo? There are alot more cities to choose from, and if you speak Spanish as well as you say you do, this should not be a problem anywhere in S. Texas.

Ian

Old 01-07-2010, 09:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'd certainly go with San Antonio, although Laredo has its funky charms. It really gets HOT in the summer, though!

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 PM

81 posts, read 192,307 times
San Antonio is my recomendation over Laredo. Larado is a rather clanish place and getting a good job is dependent on your connections. Families on both sides of the border go back generations there. Even with San Antonio I would recommend you make a trip to see if you like it.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM

6 posts, read 26,331 times
Default No Comparison

Hi, I created an account just to reply to this because I feel so strongly! I have lived in Laredo for 2+ years now, and IMO there is no comparison between San Antonio and Laredo. If I had to choose, I would pick San Antonio hands down. Speaking Spanish will be helpful in San Antonio and necessary in Laredo. From my experience, it is a hard city to move to unless you already have a large circle of friends and family that are local. Laredo is lacking in the 'things to do' department, especially for a city of it's size. We don't have a bookstore, the property taxes are very high (because of extreme growth of school system), few green areas and lack of parks & rec, limited shopping, extremely hot weather and you don't have any larger cities within a two hour drive. Also, I would recommend finding a job beforehand if you do choose Laredo, because it is definitely a city where it's hard to find a job unless you know someone. However, if you are in the health care field, teacher or are looking for a retail job, you shouldn't have much trouble.

San Antonio has a larger airport, so many more things to do, restaurants, shopping, much nicer housing choices (especially if you will be renting an apartment) and it's a few degrees cooler generally, which makes a big difference when you're looking at 100+ degree days. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
Both cities are so different, it really depends on you and your skills.

If you want a small town environment, Laredo would be the obvious choice. It is a small city in the middle of nowhere so to speak. That doesn't mean much reading it on the internet, but when you realize how desolate it is, that might be a huge turn off.

San Antonio is self sustainable, what I mean by that is you can live, work and play there and keep yourself entertained without having to make trips out of the area. Even if you do, within an hour you have Austin and Hill Country, San Marcos, etc.

Laredo has very little nearby unless you like unpopulated brush country and Nuevo Laredo, which is another small city on the way to Monterrey.

Laredo has it's charm though, heavy Hispanic influence, adjacent to Mexico if that's a pro for you, waaay hotter weather than San Antonio if that's a plus for you...and slightly warmer winters....in other words, SA can get wintery mix of really nasty weather a few times a year wheras Laredo would be hard pressed to get that same winter mix (just cold rain).

SA is much more diverse and more typical of what yo expect in a Texas city.

Laredo is very one dimensional, very Hispanic and that sums it up.

I think the preference that most people would have is for SA for the reasons already given in the post, but I don't agree with people trashing Laredo. It really isn't "bad", just different and not mainstream America's cup of tea. It all depends on you.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM

42 posts, read 114,983 times
Lived in Laredo for five years and found it it be hell on earth. Terribly provincial, crime ridden, dirty, no culture, smelly from Nuevo Laredo sewage, etc.... Strangers are certainly NOT easily integrated into town.
As someone once said, if you want to experience Laredo, go stand in a portajon on the hottest day of the year and tune your portable radio to Tejano music while your friend stands outside and fires random shots at the portajon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas