Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2010, 06:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,217 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're currently stationed in Hawaii. We're a family of 3 including a large Husky Mix & I will be attending college over on Clear Creek Rd.

I have done some research n I'm interested in purchasing or renting a home in the Killeen/Harker Heights area, but I want to know what areas I should stear clear from. Is the area near Watercrest & Clear Creek Road nice? Some friends strongly reccommend that we stay away from the BowlORama area?

Also, does anyone know of any pet friendly stores/restaurants aside from Petsmart n Petco?

-Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,201,192 times
Search on google maps... maps.google.com ...for zip code 76543. This is Killeen, the central point in the Fort Hood area. Zoom out a bit so you can see from Copperas Cove to Belton/Temple. The major through fare here is The Central Texas Expressway, US 190. I don't know much about the area but I'd suggest you look on the south side of the highway. That is, the high way itself. The business route of 190 (Verterans Memorial Blvd) in Harker Heights is chock full of bars.

Aside from that, you'll need to get input from others.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 PM

271 posts, read 782,327 times
There are a lot of areas in Killeen that I would avoid. There are nice areas but I don't know Killeen as well as I do Copperas Cove. I live in Copperas Cove, which is not far from the college...probably 10 miles or so depending what part of Cove you are in. I personally would avoid Killeen and Harker Heights just because of the traffic. The traffic coming in and out of Cove isn't too bad, even at rush hour times. There is a Wal-Mart in Cove and an HEB (grocery store), the only major restaurant chain is Applebee's, but there are a ton of restaurants in Killeen. I was actually looking to rent a home here in Cove but I could not find any property management companies that did not have a horrible review apart from Re Max in Copperas Cove. If you want to buy, there are some very nice safe and quiet neighborhoods. One I can think of off-hand is Walker Place in Copperas Cove. It is right off of 190 which is the main highway to get to Ft Hood and to the college. The homes are newer and I think they are really nice from what I have seen. To rent a home in that neighborhood I have seen prices from 1200-1600/month. Another newer subdivision is the Tonkawa Village. It is a bit cheaper than Walker Place, the homes go for rent there for about 1000-1300 or so. They are not as nice or as big as some of the homes in Walker Place but it is a safe area and it's quiet. They are building new homes there that are up for sale. There are a lot of other nice neighborhoods in Copperas Cove, I just haven't seen them all. Good luck with your home search!

Old 01-09-2010, 03:52 PM

2,630 posts, read 2,650,357 times
You'll be stuck between two towns (Killeen and Cove) there and close to the gate of Ft. Hood if you're on Clear Creek Road. I don't know much about that area because it was very undeveloped when I lived there. I didn't even know there were communities down Clear Creek Road.

Generally things are usually better on the south side of 190 in Killeen. I lived near an apartment close to Bowl-o-Rama and I agree. Harker Heights has many nice areas but you will be driving through Killeen to get to college. Cove has some nice places down Robertson. You'll see it on Yahoo maps as Copperas Hill Estates Park.

Killeen has a lot of people and the population changes very rapidly due to the military. Cove is a little bit more family-oriented in my opinion, though it does still have a large population of soldiers who come and go.

Let me know if I can tell you anything else about the area.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:15 PM

122 posts, read 309,126 times
Animals are not allowed in stores unless they are helper animals due to health laws

Old 03-09-2010, 12:03 PM

4 posts, read 18,211 times
I DO know there is a little hole in the wall cafe in the outskirts of Copperas Cove that will allow pets...I will get the name for you ASAP. I don't recall it off the top of my head right now...but I know it's there.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:17 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,604,693 times
Killeen has nice areas, mainly south of the 190 highway and on towards Harker Heights. Steer clear from places off Rancier and Veterans Memorial BLVD. Watercrest is nice but is about 10-15 year old neighborhood. New places are off of Clear Creek due to the "new" high school (its actually 10 yrs old also)

Old 05-23-2010, 07:59 PM

37 posts, read 438,918 times
I personally wouldn't move to Killeen, and now, probably not to Copperas Cove. 10 years ago yes, but things have changed, the city has gotten way bigger and I have changed my wants and needs.
We moved to Kempner, 6 miles west of Cove, VERY nice country living but only 6 miles away from Cove, which has Walmart/Walgreens/whatever. I LOVE living here, so different from the hectic life in Killeen and so nice and quiet. Also, you get way more (land) for your buck!
As far as Clear Creek, they have been building SO much there, I visitited Killeen in 1997 for the first time and a bunch more times the 2 years after that.. then, after a 5 year break I came back and it was like driving through a different city! If you haven't seen this in the past 2 years, things have changed.... fast paced place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas