Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 11:17 AM

124 posts, read 448,392 times

Advertisements

Scubashawn,

I agree with you. I live in Austin, but I visit Corpus Christi whenever I get a chance and I enjoy the area very much. There is much to do for the tourist and it is a beautiful city. Some people complain simply because they have an aversion to different (latino) cultures, but the people there seem very nice to this non-Mexican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:36 PM

232 posts, read 992,822 times
Thanks Karn...

Old 05-30-2007, 05:57 PM

78 posts, read 191,230 times
South Texans have poopie attitudes about where they live, I really don't know why, it must be the Rio Grande water :P I live in Laredo, TX and if ever there was a place people hate to live in and complain the most about, it's this one. I agree, why not just up and move if you don't like it. It's like I say, there's nothing wrong with the place, it's the people in it. Corpus is great, I'm sure you'll love it!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:08 PM

219 posts, read 716,605 times
I used to have that attitude especially when I was younger. Leaving and living in other places can present a new perspective from which to evaluate the place. Once I left, I missed it. I hope to move either back to Victoria, Corpus or the Austin area when I finish my grad degree.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:50 PM

78 posts, read 191,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsquid View Post
I used to have that attitude especially when I was younger. Leaving and living in other places can present a new perspective from which to evaluate the place. Once I left, I missed it. I hope to move either back to Victoria, Corpus or the Austin area when I finish my grad degree.
Cool, hurry back down south!!! I myself am looking into leaving Laredo for San Antonio. Not because I don't like it *I love it here* but simply for a change and more opportunity!

Best of luck with your degree!

Old 06-05-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 16,963 times
I moved to Corpus Christi to go to school there at TAMUCC and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!
I came from Houston, so the weather is an improvement. Plus I love the beach. On top of this, I think the city has such a posative vibe around it. Sure there are some streets you should avoid, (like Leppord st.) but overall, its a great place to be. So far, the people I have had contact with have been kind and not too agressive. They definitely are a different kind of breed than the more beligerent people in Houston, Texas

Old 06-05-2007, 12:18 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,325,909 times
scubashawn...........the truth be told, i cant even COUNT the number of times i have heard these questions asked by me, as i work as an Emergency Room and Post Anesthesia Registered Nurse in this area:

"Why did you choose to move here? Is your husband in the Navy?" (I answer no, and then expore their questions) and they say "Well, most people dont VOLUNTARILY MOVE HERE"

"What on gods earth made you decide to move to this godforsaken place?"

and then when they ask me how i like it, I say, "well, i love the staff i work with, but to be honest, i really havent taken to the area".........and the people will look at me and say "hey, you dont need to tell me, we know, we completely understand, if i didnt have my aging parents here, if i didnt have blah blah blah here, i would have left years ago..........."

this is a conversation that occurs more than several times a week now!!!!
these folks AINT proud of where they live, do not like where they live, so it's not just me, the contractor/newcomer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WANT TO LIVE WHERE THERE IS COMMUNITY PRIDE. I HAD IT IN GRAHAM TEXAS, DECATUR TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2007, 01:15 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,606,192 times
Bellestar--IMHO there is a world of difference between Kingsville and Corpus Christi. I lived in CC and worked in Kingsville for 1 1/2 years in the mid 90's and I wouldn't live in Kingsville for any amount of money. To me, it does not have one redeeming quality. CC, on the other hand, is bigger, breezier, more cosmopolitan (I realize that's not saying much) and has the bayfront and the beach. If I'd seen your posts a year ago I would have warned you away from Kingsville, but CC to me is another story. I'm not sure how much time you've spent in CC, but I get the impression that it hasn't been more than a day trip at a time. I just think it's an unfair characterization to say that CC isn't a good place to live based on your experience in Kingsville.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:45 AM

232 posts, read 992,822 times
Marlow....I don't think Belle like "cities"......That being said....I agree that she may only do day trips here. I have been here for a few months now and I will tell you most people in my neighborhood have pride in their community. I live in a great place, for the most part have pretty nice neighbors...can't complain at all.
Belle, I do get asked why I moved here a lot...and they usually ask....are you in the military ?
I moved here because of my job....I work for a very large company that asked me to move here....and be paid a very large wage. They pay me Home office wages(AZ) to live in CC.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM

264 posts, read 1,088,993 times
Like many people in this city, I moved here because I was told to - by the Navy. That being said, I am a native Texan originally from Houston. The best way I can sum up Corpus Christi is to say that it's the biggest small-town in the country. It has everything you need from a big city, and everything you want from a small town. Nothing is really too far away, whether it's the beach, the club, resteraunts or peace and quiet. The hospitals are great out here. We've had two children in the three years I've been here and both times it was a very pleasant experience. (The hospital staff that is...not the childbirth!) The fishing is outstanding. If you like to hunt, you can hunt javelina year-round. There are always really good concerts at concrete street. From local Texas country music to hard rock & heavy metal...I've seen more variety here than I ever saw in Houston.

Of course everyone already knows how hot it is down here, that's obvious. About 6 months out of the year you will sweat like crazy everywhere you go. If you can get past that, you'll do fine. It's not the prettiest place, not the most comfortable place but it's one of the better cities in Texas I think. That's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas